Question Budget case recommendation

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Hello,

Looking for an ATX case recommendation. Want to spend as little as possible.

Not interested in build quality, glass panels, cable management, etc.

Main priority would be dust protection.

Minor priorities would be black color, 120mm vent holders since I already have some, two 2.5" bays, two (or 4) 3.5" bays, no top vents. If there are top vents, it should have dust filters as well.

Also have a 3.5" fan controller that fits into a floppy drive bay, but I don't know if it would reduce options. So I might need a back plate fan controller. Also have a 5.25" Dvd rw, same situation as the the fan controller.

le
forgot to add that the filters should be easy to take out.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
What motherboard are you using? I think most mobo brands these days feature on-board 3-pin and PWM fan control. Does your planned board selection feature on-board thermal control?

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
What motherboard are you using? I think most mobo brands these days feature on-board 3-pin and PWM fan control. Does your planned board selection feature on-board thermal control?

ASUS TUF B360-PLUS Gaming

The current case has lots of fans which I might not need on the new one.
Anyway the fan controler and dvd rw requirement probably be ignored.

Just need a case with good filters on all incoming fans that can be easily cleaned.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Also have a 3.5" fan controller that fits into a floppy drive bay, but I don't know if it would reduce options. So I might need a back plate fan controller. Also have a 5.25" Dvd rw, same situation as the the fan controller.

the 5.25 bay will be hard to keep it cheap as its mostly phased out and now on either super ghetto heat trap old school cases, or super expensive server racks.

Care to specify approx what you would want to spend?

If i had to go all in with what you want at the lowest dollar this would probably be pick:

Again its not a great case, but it has about 80% of what your asking for.

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
the 5.25 bay will be hard to keep it cheap as its mostly phased out and now on either super ghetto heat trap old school cases, or super expensive server racks.

Care to specify approx what you would want to spend?

If i had to go all in with what you want at the lowest dollar this would probably be pick:

Again its not a great case, but it has about 80% of what your asking for.

Most important requirement is dust filtration, and that case does not appear to have any.
Other requirements are much less relevant, except for maybe the 3.5" HDD slots.

While doing some research I think the Fractal Design Define C would be the best fit. It can only do 3 slots for 3.5" HDDs, but the others can only do 2.
Still researching.

Buget ~$100-130.

LE: the Cooler Master Silencio S600 TG seems ok, also ASUS TUF Gaming GT501, but it's more expensive.
The Corsair Carbide 200R does not have filters on some areas.

Last edited:

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
I'd take Fractal Design Define C Mid Tower Computer Case

But what advantage does the Fractal have over the CM S600 with regards to my requirements?

Large storage drive are still in 3.5" format, so the CM has an advantage on that. It even has a dvd drive slot, although I don't think I would still use it.

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Corsair Carbide 200R. Under $70. @ usb 3 connectors on front panel.

There are no filters on top, on the side panel, or the bottom fan location. Front panel has very small filters.
Main priority is dust filtration.

Initially I was going to get the CM S600 but the bottom filter was not great and it could only handle 2 fans in the front, the 3rd being obstructed partially. Found a deal for the Define C and got that one instead.

Reactions: blckgrffn

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Buget ~$100-130.

this opens a bit more... add a bit more to the budget, and even more options open up.

The define 7 C is definitely in that window, so is the meshfy C.
If you add a bit more, you can go Lian Li - o11 which i also consider a excellent case, if you do not mind the case being a little bit wide.

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
this opens a bit more... add a bit more to the budget, and even more options open up.

The define 7 C is definitely in that window, so is the meshfy C.
If you add a bit more, you can go Lian Li - o11 which i also consider a excellent case, if you do not mind the case being a little bit wide.

Listen, no offense, but the process of finding a case with the forum has been awful. Not only do some of you don't read my post, some of the recommended cases don't have filters, have large openings on the top.
I already got a case, as I wrote above.
Two of the cases you mentioned cost more than twice what I paid for the Define C.

I don't know if you're one of those tempered glass rgb people, but I'm not. I don't care about that, or other cool things about the case. The main and most important priority is dust filtration.

I had to do some proper research when I don't really have too much free time.

Oh and the way cases are designed to have the guts are the back as well as some ssd's (among other things) is bad design. The case it replaced, a chieftec dragon, had many advantages over these nonsensical superficial design choices.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Not only do some of you don't read my post, some of the recommended cases don't have filters, have large openings on the top.

Didn't you increase your budget to 100-130?
The Define 7 C lies in that range..
I have no idea where you pulled 2x.

And it does have filters. It has a interchangeable top on top as well that comes with the case.

The Lian Li o11 is as i said a bit more then 130.

Has all the stuff minus the 5 1/4 bays you were asking for.

So i am lost in why your saying those two cases are not even anywhere near what you are asking for, when it has all that minus the 5 1/4 bay which as i said in my first post have mostly been phased out, as no one really uses an optical anymore, and are mostly used now to fill with hotswap bays for some make shift NAS build.

Lastly the chieftec dragon is such a old case which had horrible design compared to these new ones.
The cases today as long as its not a straight sheet metal box, typically have wire routing and management planned.
Also they have much better thermals then the chieftec. Infact you could not get me to make a new PC using a old style case, as it will be just a massive amount of headache to build one with proper thermals and noise control.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

Antec Dark Phantom DP502 FLUX

5.25 bay, lots of filters, etc. Can run with the lights off. Hits the budget number easily.

Used one for my brother-in-law, pretty happy with it but need a controller for them fans it comes with. If you swapped to some aftermarket, non-lit fans it would be no issue.

I realize it has a window but 🤷‍♂️ I think it hits the rest of the marks. One of the only cases I've ever used that has filters at all intakes.

Oops, just saw you got a case. Ah well, hope it is good too :)

Reactions: Ranulf

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Just in case someone else reads this thread... the Antec P10 Flux exists at ~$80 ($65 AR) and seems to be an even better fit than the DP502 Flux based on the OP's requirements.

No top vents, filters on side and front intakes, 5.25" drive bay, etc.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Didn't you increase your budget to 100-130?
The Define 7 C lies in that range..
I have no idea where you pulled 2x.

And it does have filters. It has a interchangeable top on top as well that comes with the case.

The Lian Li o11 is as i said a bit more then 130.

Has all the stuff minus the 5 1/4 bays you were asking for.

So i am lost in why your saying those two cases are not even anywhere near what you are asking for, when it has all that minus the 5 1/4 bay which as i said in my first post have mostly been phased out, as no one really uses an optical anymore, and are mostly used now to fill with hotswap bays for some make shift NAS build.

Lastly the chieftec dragon is such a old case which had horrible design compared to these new ones.
The cases today as long as its not a straight sheet metal box, typically have wire routing and management planned.
Also they have much better thermals then the chieftec. Infact you could not get me to make a new PC using a old style case, as it will be just a massive amount of headache to build one with proper thermals and noise control.

Intention was to get the cheapest case. Also mentioned some criteria could be dropped, except for dust filtration. You assume that everyone buys of or has access to retailers like newegg. The antec mentioned is not even available locally, dont want to pay extra taxes.

i think there was a test where cable management had at best negligible effect on thermals
chieftec is not perfect but it was quieter than the current case
and that is with a few 80mm fans
again the assumption that components would not be fine with that case
not everyone needs the best cooling

New case design is your opinion, there are many who don't have a choice but to get them.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Intention was to get the cheapest case. Also mentioned some criteria could be dropped, except for dust filtration. You assume that everyone buys of or has access to retailers like newegg. The antec mentioned is not even available locally, dont want to pay extra taxes.

New case design is your opinion, there are many who don't have a choice but to get them.

Are you talking to me here?

So you could buy the Antec, which is the cheapest case with these features available that I am aware of, but don't want to because reasons. Fine, I get it. But unless you say you can't buy from NewEgg/Amazon/eBay here I think most people are going to assume that they are available.

Checks OP....

Nope, no mention at all of preferred vendors or where you are located. You even stated your budget in USD. 🤷‍♂️

I mean, I loved every Fractal premium case I've ever used so I think you've got a great solution to your problem. Enjoy it!

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
That Antec Flux rgb or the p10 are nice flexible designs. I'm impressed for the first time in several years with their cases. Especially since Fractal has mostly gone with rgb glitz n' glam with glass and no front bays.

Macandme

Oct 16, 2019
Hello,

Looking for an ATX case recommendation. Want to spend as little as possible.

Not interested in build quality, glass panels, cable management, etc.

Main priority would be dust protection.

Minor priorities would be black color, 120mm vent holders since I already have some, two 2.5" bays, two (or 4) 3.5" bays, no top vents. If there are top vents, it should have dust filters as well.

le
forgot to add that the filters should be easy to take out.

I recommend ASUS. I find their products very efficient and cost-effective

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
cost-effective isn't a word I thought I'd see when discussing ASUS products.
The real word(s) you don't think you would see when discussing ASUS products is "good customer support". At least Fractal will get back to an email and typically send you any missing/broken part.