Budget <$800 Laptop for Parents this Season

aatroxed

Nov 25, 2013
  • Budget range: $500 - $800
  • Purpose: for the older folks at home; simple web browsing, basic school/work functions like MS Office
  • Screen size preference: 13-15"
  • Gaming requirements: none
  • Other performance requirements (video editing, CAD, etc.): none
  • Brand preferences and reasons (already owned accessories, familiarity, business compatibility): nope
Hello, I'm the family "IT" tech guy and just need a new replacement laptop for the folks. Good build quality and keyboard is important, they are upgrading from those old but sturdy WinXP HP laptops - so "business" laptops are okay too.

However don't care about weight, portability, high resolution screen.
Are there any standouts that would fit that bill?

Some I've come across so far:
Thinkpad E550
HP Pavilion 15t
Dell Inspiron 15 5000

The Lenovo and HP are good on price, not sure which is better in quality. Welcome any thoughts. Thanks

Dec 10, 2005
Since they don't care for weight or portability, does it have to be a laptop? A simple desktop (eg: Pentium Dual-Core and integrated graphics) could fit those tasks quite nicely.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
So you think the parents will be okay with W10?

Your budget is very generous considering the low spec machine you require.

I guess you want the extra money to go to build quality?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm pretty happy with my IdeaPad 100s, for the most part. That might be a bit too low on the totem pole for your parents. It's cheap enough, that they could each get one. Mine is the 11.6", but they make a 14" as well. (Although the 11.6" one has better reviews.)

aatroxed

Nov 25, 2013
So you think the parents will be okay with W10?

Your budget is very generous considering the low spec machine you require.

I guess you want the extra money to go to build quality?

Seems like you're right on that point. It's been so long since I've taken a look at prices and the power of current hardware. I used to eat up that stuff right up until I built my own desktop back on 04.

Anyway its got to be a laptop. Mom takes it to library sometimes. Wasn't sure how cheap I could go for a laptop and still have a good keyboard and decent build. Win 10 is fine - I can customize it enough so its not too jarring.

It's mostly for email and writing papers, Mom is back in school...Sounds like I could get what I need for less. Surfaces aren't ideal - a bit too high tech.

I'll check out the IdeaPad, bigger screen to help out with the eyes. I'm willing to cut corners on resolution - she doesn't need it and it helps with price.

Last edited: