Budget 19" battle - Dell 1907FP vs BenQ FP91G+

Barryj61

Aug 17, 2001
Wow, 19" LCD's are now at the magic price point where even the terminally cheap (like me) need to buy one. Looks like my 2 best candidates in the under $250 category are the new Dell 1907 and the BenQ FP91G+ (now available at the 'Egg without any rebate hassles).

I know a bunch of people have jumped on the latest 1907 deal...how does it hold up compared to 'better' LCD's? I actually use the earlier version of this display at work, the 1905FP. My own experience has been that it's..........decent, but hasn't blown me away yet. Very bright even after adjustment , and pretty decent colors; but despite its name, unfortunately, nothing is, well, 'ultrasharp'. I've seen nothing on the BenQ other than the normal positive Newegg reviews.

Or should I just pony up another 60-70 dollars for a Viewsonic VX922 or a Samsung 940B? Respectable image quality is more important to me that blazing speed, but I do play the occasional shooter. My current usage is probably 70% basic surfing, with the rest divided between gaming, videos, and photography. What's a cheap boy to do?........

Cygnus X1

Sep 5, 2005
Pony up boy! I got my VX922 last week and let me tell you it sure is amazing. The only thing you need to know if it comes to bright for your taste is to turn up the color temp to 9300k. Mines at stock exept for the 9300k and WOW this LCD owns! Just read around and you'll see. If you want cheap get dell, if you want quality get Viewsonic.

Barryj61

Aug 17, 2001
Hmmmm........you may be right on that one.

Interesting tidbit I just dug up on Cnet (which I usually ignore). I checked out their review of the 1907, then checked out the user comments section. Most of the responses were positive; however, every person who had previously owned a 1905 FP just hated the 1907. Not good.

Which is a shame, because the 1907 has so many great features; no other LCD in its class is as adjustable (height, swivel, rotate), and I dig the USB ports. But I've got to go with viewing quality in the end. I need to get out and check some out in person.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Yup, the 1907FP is of lower class than the 1905FP in everything except response time. The BenQ FP91G+ may be a little better than the 1907FP, but I'm not sure how it compares to the 1905FP. The VX922 should be a little better than the BenQ. You might consider the VP930b also, which is the same high quality screen as the 1905FP but better yet. The FP91G+, 1907FP, and VX922 are TN panels, meaning they have faster response time, but at the expense of lower contrast and viewing angles. However the response time in most situations on the high-contrast ("VA") panels is right up there with that of the TNs. Considering you do photo editing and videos, I would without doubt go with the VP930b (whose contrast is also great for web browsing and gaming). It's a great value. I have one and I love it. True, earlier revisions had backlight leaking problems but I think they may have sorted that out, same with the VX922. At calibrated settings, photos on the VP930b are very vibrant. It does leave something to be desired with skin tones, as with almost every LCD out there, including all of the aforementioned. But the LCDs that can display skin tones very well are quite expensive.

The ViewSonic VX2025WM is also a compelling choice at $400 which you may want to consider. It sets a higher bar of image quality than the VP930b.

Barryj61

Aug 17, 2001
I don't do heavy photo editing, and most of my photos are objects so I don't need to be ultra critical. I'm avoiding the widescreens and larger screens for now simply because my old video card (9800 Pro) would choke on the higher resolutions. I do like Viewsonic stuff though....my current Viewsonic CRT has been going 4 1/2 years without a hitch.