BT/wifi stereo headset for pcs

rookie1010

Mar 7, 2004
hello,

i was interested in getting a wireless headet for my pc.

would you guys recommend a wifi headset or a bluetooth headset.

my understanding is that wifi gives out more power and bluetooth less, so the bluetooth one is a more healthy option, what do you guys think?

my concern is that windows xp does not support bt headset profile, would this be a problem?

i came across plantronics audio 590a, what do you guys think of it?
http://reviews.cnet.com/headse...-13831_7-31512239.html

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I can't comment on A2DP on a PC as I've never tried it, but A2DP heatsets, even the best don't really reproduce music well. As far as wireless headphones on a PC you'll get better sound with a decent hair. Bluetooth ones will have the advantage of being smaller and you could also use them with a cell phone that support A2DP.

XP not supporting it, I would assume that's a driver/BT adapter issue. I am sure somebody makes an adapter that's A2DP Complaint.

I have used the ones in the link you gave, maybe I'm just over anal about my music but I wasn't super impressed with the overall quality. I did find them to be pretty good for what they were, As if you're not a wanna be Audiophile like me I bet the sound would be perfectly fine :) Just read into the A2DP on a PC thing. Wireless ones will be really big and probably more pain than they're worth.

rookie1010

Mar 7, 2004
thanks for the reply,

so the BT headsets are not bad, if i am to play games and do a bit of voice over IM every now and then, it should be ok

does the dongle but fit into the audio socket or does it go into the USB port on the PC?

rookie1010

Mar 7, 2004
thanks for the reply,

the trendet dongle seems to be a stand alone, woudl it work with any BT handset, in particular the plantronics audo 590a.

what i actually meant is that in the link (http://reviews.cnet.com/headse...13831_7-31512239.html), we have a headet and some sort of dongle (the circular gadget with an audio-like socket?)

does this audio like socket fit in the USB socket?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
no that is a headphone adapter, you plug it in a headphone jack and any device will become able to use the headset. You could plug it in your sound card but it would limit what you can do. I would recommend buying the one on Newegg, the audio adapter is better suited for an Ipod or something small and portable.

rookie1010

Mar 7, 2004
thanks for the reply,

so the headset communicates with the PC using the headphone adaptor, not via the USB port.
what are its limitations?

and the trendnet plugs into a USB port, it does not appear to have an associated BT headset, can you suggest a headset which i can use to communicate with the trendnet device

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
the USB adapter is just a standard BT dongle and will work with any BT device.