BSOD Problem with ASUS PZ68-v after Pressing "Restore Optimized Defaults"

rottencurry

Oct 13, 2012
I was messing around with the voltage of my CPU, an i5 3570k, to make the voltage lower. I do not overclock but it was still too high. Everything was fine until I followed the tutorial and pressed restore optimized defaults in the BIOS so I could start from scratch. I then looked at a tutorial on how to lower voltage. I followed every step, but now I can't boot into Windows Ultimate 64 bit. As soon as I get to the windows logo I get BSOD. My computer has been working fine for 7 months and I've tested the memory before, so I'm sure it is something with the BIOS. I don't know if when I clicked restore optimized defaults it changed everything or just the CPU configurations, but I'm thinking it changed everything.

I really don't know how to change it. Is there some things I should change in the BIOS to see if it would work? I'm thinking I disabled something when i clicked restore optimized defaults. I changed everything in the AI Tweaker menu (CPU menu) to what it was before ( voltage and disabled and enabled settings) so I'm pretty sure the problem lies somewhere else in the BIOS, I just need to know what to do. I remember when I first built my computer I had a problem loading into Windows but I'm blanking out on what I did to fix it. Is there some things I should enable and disable in the BIOS to see if it will boot?

From clicking restore optimized defaults, did that somehow mess up my installation of Windows 7? Does that mean I have to install it again? I don't think I have a repair disk. If I have Windows 7 64 bit and then try to install it again will it work and not delete anything? Is that basically what a repair disk is? I'm really new to this stuff, sorry for asking so many questions.

Any help is appreciated.

• ASUS PZ68-v
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • i5 3570k CPU
  • Intel Graphics 4000
  • 850 W Power Supply

GPz1100

Jun 10, 2001
Did you change your sata mode when you initially installed? Check to see if it's set to ahci or raid or ide. Typically the boards default to ahci these days.

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
yeah, and if you are running IGPU (Intel HD 4000 onboard video) you have to change primary boot in graphics config in bios to IGPU

Next time put in a FAT32 usb stick and hit f12 on ea bios page top and middle and bottom to record all your settings.

AFTER you get video, you should just flip up the TPU switch on mobo (led lights up) which will give you a nice reliable overclock (reboot twice)
But always set XMP profile in OC tweaker first for RAM

Optimized defaults changed everything, including turning ON all onboard devices

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did you change your sata mode when you initially installed? Check to see if it's set to ahci or raid or ide. Typically the boards default to ahci these days.

AFAIK:
Z68 boards default to IDE mode.
Z77 boards default to AHCI mode.

rottencurry

Oct 13, 2012
Ok, so I went to SATA configuration and enabled all the hot plugs because they were all disabled. I also made the primary display iGPU. Is that what I was supposed to do or do I have to enable it somewhere else? Also should I change Serial Port settings? I'm just trying everything now. I still get BSOD.

Last edited:

GPz1100

Jun 10, 2001
Chances are, when you installed windows, you didn't use ide, so i'd do either ahci or raid, depending on your config.

Something also to keep in mind, if you install with it set to ahci, then later decide to do raid, it may be a bit of a challenge to get the drivers updated in windows. I recall skimming over some guides on how to do it, but it's a pain. Otherwise, windows just doesn't boot because the driver configured in it doesn't match the bios setting.

rottencurry

Oct 13, 2012
For the graphics the iGPU memory is set to 64M. Should i raise it? Kind of off topic, but whatever. I set it to AHCI and it still won't boot. Should I try IDE?

rottencurry

Oct 13, 2012
YES! I changed thing to IDE and now it booted and everything is fine. Thanks for all the help. It was set to ACHI by default and I wouldn't have even thought of changing it if you guys didn't tell me.

Last edited: