BSOD on Safe Mode Boot

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Okay, this is a new one for me. I am working on a computer that had been cleaned of viruses before given to me. I believe it had one of the fake AV programs on it. The laptop, running Windows XP Pro, seems to be running really slow. I decided to try booting up to Safe Mode to see if the sluggishness was still there. Upon booting into Safe Mode, I get a BSOD with Stop Error 0x7E. It appears right after it says it is loading mup.sys. The BSOD error screen lists no drivers as the cause of the issue.

What's strange to me is that the laptop boots fine into Windows normally. I only get the BSOD if I try to boot into Safe Mode. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,
Merg

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Yeah, I've gone through that article. What gets me is that it only occurs when booting into Safe Mode. I've never had a Stop Error do that before in that I could boot into Windows normally, but it fails booting into Safe Mode.

- Merg

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Hadn't seen that one. I'm going to try the removing security updates, check to see if there was an Intel processor update, and the create new user fixes to see if that solves the problem. After I try those I'll post back.

Thanks,
Merg