Question BSOD, No BIOS, No Safe Mode, No Nothing

rosero

Apr 8, 2022
HP Pavilion DV4
Windows 10 Pro
4 GB RAM

Basically after a touchpad driver update I got a BSOD, total black, I can’t access to the BIOS no matter what keys combination I use, I can’t enter in safe mode, no recovery, I can’t do anything. So far I have tried this:
- Hard reseating several times
- Taking out and cleaning the RAM
- Taking and the motherboard battery
- Taking out hard disk
- Trying another hard disk

If I turn on the laptop without the RAM it beeps, but there are no beeps if I turn it on without the hard drive, but I tried with another brand new hard drive and it’s the same.
The LEDS are working and because of that beep with the RAM I assume the motherboard is not the problem, maybe I’m wrong.
I don’t get any beeps during boot, the fens sound for 1 second, then they stop for another 5 seconds and then they go on non stoping, which makes me thing the POST is not getting done correctly. Also, and maybe is because I’m going crazy, I can’t notice anything in the hard drive that makes me think is working, both hard drives, could it be the cable that connects the hard drive to the mobo? I can’t test the screen connecting to another monitor ‘cause I don’t have one. I’m trying to see if I can solve this by myself before going to a technician who’s gonna rip me off and this is a very bad moment economically speaking. Right now I have the laptop without the mobo battery, RAM and hard drive in attempt to wait for 25 hours and see if the BIOS resets itself. If any of you have any ideas please I would appreciate it. I don’t know much about hardware, a little more about software but like I say, I’m trying to see if I can get this fixed by myself. Thank you for your help.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That laptop is likely from 2009-2010, so it sounds like something on it happened to die. It could be any number of things, but if I had to guess based on what you said is going on, I'd suspect the motherboard went kaput.

Updating a driver shouldn't prevent you from accessing the BIOS. However, you will likely have to take it to local PC repair shop to see if it's something that's easy/inexpensive to replace, otherwise it might just be time to get a newer laptop.

rosero

Apr 8, 2022
That laptop is likely from 2009-2010, so it sounds like something on it happened to die. It could be any number of things, but if I had to guess based on what you said is going on, I'd suspect the motherboard went kaput.

Updating a driver shouldn't prevent you from accessing the BIOS. However, you will likely have to take it to local PC repair shop to see if it's something that's easy/inexpensive to replace, otherwise it might just be time to get a newer laptop.

The LEDS working and the beep I got when turning it on without the RAM are not a sign that the mobo is working?