bsod, crashs, possible cpu heat issue

rnj

Mar 27, 2009
not sure if it's a heat issue because I only got a 'possible heat issue' message on one out of the many BSODS. This is a temp plot of a sample session, during which there was no crash, and during which there is one period of high load. Is the 'CPU Total' temperature, which is CPU Temp 0 in the chart, an issue? Are the core temps, (Cores 1 thru 4), ~typical/normal?

https://prnt.sc/fsvqx1
(y-axis is cpu temp in celsius
x-axis is in number of minutes
logging interval is once per minute)

cpu is a xeon e3-1535m v5

Any advice is appreciated,
thansk,
rnj

rnj

Mar 27, 2009
computer was recently purchased, we looked at the vents everything looks fairly good. If 100C is the limit, that plot may be slightly misleading, the 'CPU Total' line aka the cpu0 temp exceeds 100C several times during the period of high load, (the chart is clipped at 100C.)

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Looks like that's a laptop CPU (basically a 6820HQ), which will get hotter than a desktop chip...but you really shouldn't be getting over 90c under continuous heavy load. Either there's a malfunction with the cooling system (covered under warranty), or it wasn't designed properly...in which case that laptop is a pile of garbage and should be returned. Especially for a Xeon system which is supposed to be held to a much higher standard than the consumer versions, and designed to handle continuous heavy loads with absolute stability.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
BSODs are usually related to faulty memory and/or timings or CPU vcore not high enough. Maybe one memory stick is bad in your laptop?

rnj

Mar 27, 2009
I believe I ran a memory test once, I will try again. Also, what is 'cpu total' temp exactly? (This is the name of one of the temp readouts from open hardware monitor.)

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I believe I ran a memory test once, I will try again. Also, what is 'cpu total' temp exactly? (This is the name of one of the temp readouts from open hardware monitor.)

Exactly what it sounds like, it should be the total package temp including all the un-core stuff like cache, igp, etc

rnj

Mar 27, 2009
on-boot memtest doesn't reveal any problems, killed it after ~20 hours

Last edited:

rnj

Mar 27, 2009
update- the entire laptop was replaced, no issue so far, but I'd like to run the temp tests again to see what kind of improvement I assume I have..

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Sounds like it needed fresh thermal paste. Is it for sale? XD