bsd router distribution

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
is there one? i know picobsd is out but it doesn't have pppoe on it. anyone have a custom disk image w/ pppoe support on it?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
almost, orangeman. i'm probably gettin' greedy here, but i'm already running a customized lrp w/ pppoe (didn't customize it myself) on the router. i was just wondering if there was a bsd equivalent with pppoe support.

i'm sure someone could add pppoe support on a custom freesco distribution but no one's done it yet (that i know of) and i'm too busy.

M

Oct 9, 1999
I'm planning to do a rather slim install of freebsd on a box for a gateway; Rather than using a 'router' distro, I'm just going to use a standard install disk and keep it as slim as possible. If you've got the hard disk space, and the time & energy, this may be an option for you, jhu. Though I'm not entirely sure whether anyone has written PPPoE support for bsd; I've had no will to search for it to date.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
the thing with pppoe support for bsd is that it's in source form (written by roaring penguin). so i'd have to install a freebsd distribution, compile pppoe, then modify a picobsd distro. my router has the harddrive and 5-1/4" drive disconnected for low power consumption.