Brutal Video Of Israeli Tank Targeting Reuters Cameraman

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Got it: total media blackout of war zones.

No need for the third-party observations when the military excels at outputting propaganda.

There is no need for any black-outs; but in return, you need to accept, and expect, a certain number of media casualties -- especially when they do something fucking retarded like jump out of a truck, run to the middle of the road, and aim a large reflective camera at a hostile tank from a half mile away...

duh.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007

No need for the third-party observations when the military excels at outputting propaganda.

Bingo

IDF just want to let journalists know, when we are around, don't tape jack sht. Or else...

Israel's biggest problems is local and international journalists, these courageous people are ready to post anything they get their hands on back on a whim.... the US and Western media doesn't post content critical on Israel at all (for the most part) however, gradually more and more of the American public and the west is getting more exposed to free media outlets (i.e Youtube) were lobbyists can't do anything with their influence and money....these places can't be controlled without causing an absolute outrage. So therefore, control the source, TERRORIZE the media, the journalists, make it the scariest thing in the world to report IDF behavior and actions and your job is done.

Pathetic!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Text

This continues a long-standing tradition of Israeli and American troops targeting marked third-party observers.

With this as your lead sentence, there's obviously nothing that will follow it that's worth a read or response. Good day.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Text

This continues a long-standing tradition of Israeli and American troops targeting marked third-party observers.

With this as your lead sentence, there's obviously nothing that will follow it that's worth a read or response. Good day.
:brokenheart:

:laugh:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
lets see. they were standing in a war zone. with a large camera pointed at a tank.

hmm lets think about this. is this a good idea? im going to say no. the video proves it.

there was a 2nd video of the after effects. the press vehicles had little signs on them (on the hood at that) saying "press"

i can't blame the tank operator for it. i do blame the camera man for standing there filming the tank.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: DarkThinker

Bingo

IDF just want to let journalists know, when we are around, don't tape jack sht. Or else...

Israel's biggest problems is local and international journalists, these courageous people are ready to post anything they get their hands on back on a whim.... the US and Western media doesn't post content critical on Israel at all (for the most part) however, gradually more and more of the American public and the west is getting more exposed to free media outlets (i.e Youtube) were lobbyists can't do anything with their influence and money....these places can't be controlled without causing an absolute outrage. So therefore, control the source, TERRORIZE the media, the journalists, make it the scariest thing in the world to report IDF behavior and actions and your job is done.

Pathetic!
You honestly believe that they knew they were shooting at a reporter?

seriously!?

so much for common sense...

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
Originally posted by: palehorse74

Bingo

Pathetic!

seriously!?

"Hey, guys, maybe that guy over there with a camera is a reporter or something."
"Let's mess his shit up."
*boom*

Are you suggesting they're just roaming around in a tank shooting random people?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Why is the life of a journalists any more worthwhile than any other life. What got this started was three Hamas gunmen.
Thereafter everyone within miles is assumed to be one of those three. Kill everything in sight is clearly the doctrine here. Shoot first, ask question later. The same thing happened in Lebanon and will just keep happening.

And we wonder why the Palestinians turn to terrorism?

As it is, the hatreds are just dug a little deeper. But if killing Palestinians in disproportionate numbers has not worked for 60 years, why do we think this will change anything. But at least Reuters is PO'd for a few days.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
They're Jews. We can't criticize them or we're anti-semites.

Tell that to Eliot Spitzer, he could use your support.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

He's a Democrat.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Why is the life of a journalists any more worthwhile than any other life. What got this started was three Hamas gunmen.
Thereafter everyone within miles is assumed to be one of those three. Kill everything in sight is clearly the doctrine here. Shoot first, ask question later. The same thing happened in Lebanon and will just keep happening.

And we wonder why the Palestinians turn to terrorism?

As it is, the hatreds are just dug a little deeper. But if killing Palestinians in disproportionate numbers has not worked for 60 years, why do we think this will change anything. But at least Reuters is PO'd for a few days.

Oh jesus that is such an exaggeration. How many people live in that area? How many thousands were killed by the Israeli's opening up on everybody as you claim?

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Text

:thumbsup:

It pretty much happens with most of jpeyton's posts.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You know, I bet the US and Israel have entire divisions of tanks and bombers devoted solely to killing those damned media folks. I even read that the original role of the stealth bomber was killing the media.

Come on, there are dozens of different ways that could have happened without jumping to the "Israel purposely targeted/killed a camera man with a freaking battle tank" conclusion with what we know so far.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ultra laser

Bingo

Pathetic!

seriously!?

"Hey, guys, maybe that guy over there with a camera is a reporter or something."
"Let's mess his shit up."
*boom*

Are you suggesting they're just roaming around in a tank shooting random people?

I was unaware of any released audio from within the tank itself... my bad...? :roll:

I'm not "suggesting" anything. I'm pointing out that...

1) The "huge" markings were clearly blocked by the hedge along the road, so they're a non-factor.

2) Several Palestinian men pulled up in an SUV, in hostile territory, jumped out, and ran to the middle of the road.

3) They proceeded to mount something on their shoulder (the camera), and point it directly at the tank

4) The tank saw this happen from a fairly long distance, turned, and fired.

Why? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO GET HIT BY AN ANTI-TANK ROCKET AND DIE.

duh...

Is it sad? hell yeah! but, it was more than likely an accident.

again, duh.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Bingo

Pathetic!

seriously!?

I've seen a number of incidents where there's a lot of evidence Israel attacked people or groups it knew it shouldn't for these basic reasons.

What do you think about the incident with the USS Liberty, Palehorse? I haven't reached a firm conclusion, but I've seen the reports from Americans on the ship who say the jets were well aware of who they were shooting. The Rachel Corrie incident had witnesses saying the Israeli bulldozer intentionally ran her over as she put her self as a human shield to be in the way of it bulldozing a Palestinian home.

Before the neanderthals try to say that makes it her fault, intentionally running her over would have been wrong, a crime, and Israel does not try to defend it that way.

As for the US, there are some incidents there too, such as the bombing of the Al-Jazeera journalists after the network had informed the US military of their location.

In other incidents, charges against Israel have been investigated and Israel was cleared; in one well-known incident when a US tank shot a hotel filled with journalists in Baghdad, killing two, the investigation by the Committee to Protect Journalists cleared the US military of intentionally targetting the journalists, but does suggest the military was dishonest in its explanation of the incident, and raises the question why the commanders' wanting to avoid attacks on the hotel had not been communicated to the tank commander.

In another tragic killing, a photographer who was with a crew who had permission from the US military to be filming was killed by a machine gunner as they filmed US soldiers coming up the road. It again raises some question whether the measures taken to reasonably protect journalists, against the need for US forces to protect themselves, are in place. Was the journalism group's activity communicated to forces so they wouldn't be mistaken for enemy? Should it have been?

Is it practical to be able to have any reasonable safety for journalists? If not, should they be prevented more from being in dangerous areas - and how do you keep that from being abused in order for not simply preventing coverage of the military activities, to deny journalists the information? What is to be done about the Pentagon's not working much with the journalism organizations to try to find answers to how to improve things?

What I see in a lot of responses here is disgusting - it's imbecilic cheering for the lack of accountability for the use of force.

Some here rush to try to invent any way they can think that the use of force might possibly be defensible, and then demand not to investigate because theory answers it.

These people are clearly hostile to the press, and in effect hostile to the truth being told about military activities - in other words, accomplices to preventing accountability.

They're thugs who want the force to be used without rules, and to deny the American people and the world the truth.

The journalists are often very brave and serving the public to cover these stories in dangerous areas, and it's despicable for these thugs to try to prevent their coverage.

Everyone wins when the military makes an effort to try to find a good balance that offers the best protection possible to both their forces and to journalists.

Right now, it's not clear there's much pressure on them to do that, as they can pretty easily dismiss each incident without cost other than the negative coverage, which gets very little mainstream/corporate media airtime, especially if the journalists killed and injured are foreign. I see clear evidence that the US military is not intentionally targeting journalists. Even with Israel, I suspect the issue has more to do with how much the government takes steps to prevent the killings, rather than intentionally ordering any killings.

If you can imagine your local police force suddenly getting permission to shoot when they feel in danger, and the brass would cover for them, you probably wouldn't like it much.

It wouldn't mean they were targeting anyone, but you would likely see shootings of innocents go up quite a bit.

Unfortunately, there's a political element to all of this. One of the few areas of accountability for the administration is the number of soldiers killed. We all see the anti-war arguments constantly cite '4,000 troops killed' or whatever the number is. They have some pressure to keep that number down for politics, and the political costs to allowing troops to be extra safe by shooting first and asking questions later are arguably very low, which encourages them to do just that. It doesn't mean they have done so, but it's an issue.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Darwin333
You know, I bet the US and Israel have entire divisions of tanks and bombers devoted solely to killing those damned media folks. I even read that the original role of the stealth bomber was killing the media.

Come on, there are dozens of different ways that could have happened without jumping to the "Israel purposely targeted/killed a camera man with a freaking battle tank" conclusion with what we know so far.

True, but there is a suspicious history.

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
Anyone notice that though the vehicle is pretty messed up overall, the hood and the sign that says "TV" is not damaged?

Also, seems to me that color of the hood and the vehicle don't quite match. I'm not trying to say I think for sure it's staged, just wondering.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Text

This continues a long-standing tradition of Israeli and American troops targeting marked third-party observers. Remember the incident involving the Israeli bombing of a U.N. observer outpost covering the atrocities in Lebanon, or the US air strike that killed an al-Jazeera news crew covering the invasion of Iraq?

Watch the video yourself. The vehicle the tank targeted was CLEARLY marked with huge signs on all sides that indicted it was a media vehicle. This is standard operating procedure for any media operating within a conflict zone. There was innocent collateral damage too, in addition to the dead cameraman.

To be fair picture this. You're holding something that is on your shoulder at a tank in what is essentially a war zone. What do you think that looks like from a mile away? Thousands of rocket propelled grenades are fired at Israelis every year. You do the math.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Cold Steel
Anyone notice that though the vehicle is pretty messed up overall, the hood and the sign that says "TV" is not damaged?

Also, seems to me that color of the hood and the vehicle don't quite match. I'm not trying to say I think for sure it's staged, just wondering.

it's definitely worth a thought. Palestinians are (proven to be) capable of worse.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe

Pfft, awesome deflection.

wtf are you talking about. He said you can't criticize jews or you are called anti-semitic. Spitzer was roundly criticized and has been for years. The only people afraid of being called anti-semites are anti-semites.