Bruce Willis retires from acting after aphasia diagnosis

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Bruce Willis to retire from acting following Aphasia diagnosis | The Star

Nothing in OT or P&N on this. Never a real big fan. I don't think I saw a single episode of Moonlighting. I know personally how devastating this is. My father was doing his best to keep my mother who had Alzheimer's out of the nursing home, had a heart attack. My mom, out of it, did nothing. Fortunately, I guess, a neighbor stopped by about 2 hours after the attack. My father ended up with brain damage due to lack of oxygen with the result being the worst form, global aphasia. This of course resulted in both of my parents spending the last of their days in nursing homes.

What is aphasia and who gets it? Inside the condition that led Bruce Willis to retire from acting | Salon.com

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Nothing in OT or P&N on this. Never a real big fan. I don't think I saw a single episode of Moonlighting. I know personally how devastating this is. My father was doing his best to keep my mother who had Alzheimer's out of the nursing home, had a heart attack. My mom, out of it, did nothing. Fortunately, I guess, a neighbor stopped by about 2 hours after the attack. My father ended up with brain damage due to lack of oxygen with the result being the worst form, global aphasia. This of course resulted in both of my parents spending the last of their days in nursing homes.

What is aphasia and who gets it? Inside the condition that led Bruce Willis to retire from acting | Salon.com

This explains the recent bout of B-movies he was in. He was being taken advantage of to prop up a couple low budget studios.

Reactions: Lezunto

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
My oldest kid was an extra in this movie with Bruce last year. They said he swooped on set in a couple of SUVs surrounded by security and went straight to his trailer. Did his scenes and booked right out when he was done.

“Knight”

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Love you

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This explains the recent bout of B-movies he was in. He was being taken advantage of to prop up a couple low budget studios.

I read in another article that on some of those movies, he would make $2m for 2 days of work. Hardly being taken advantage of. It sounds like the producers tried to accommodate him but his decline was simply too much.

Reactions: hal2kilo and iRONic

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I get the feeling that he was just maximizing his profit, real quick. The guy can command cash, so he went Nicholas Cage and just decided to make a fat bank roll. All those films are terrible, but it really doesn't matter when you can sell your time like these people can.

Good for him.

Oh, like what BlueWeasel said, heh. And added to what iRonic said about him dashing in and out of set without dealing with people, I'd also been reading that he has a list of demands about all back and side shots be doubles, and most of his work is just voiceover now. He gets some face shots, but not a lot.

This all pretty much adds up. Either he went on a Walter White spree of "making terrible films" to set up a nest egg for the family, after he can no longer exist, (in his very real sense of the expression), or he was actually doing these gigs to see if he could still work and/or just keep track of his decline.

He was apparently always a bit of a dick to work with on sets, but none of those reports up there tell me that anyone was really taking advantage of him during this spat of straight-to-the-Blockbuster-rack movies that he's been dumping into the world.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
^^^^^^^^
I'm blown away by all of your kind responses. I just wanted people to be aware of what aphasia was and the devastating consequences of the affliction. Covid and retirement made me get real serious about reducing some of my bad habits. Lost a lot of weight, exercise regularly, take my blood pressure, and statin medicine religiously, and essentially don't drink any more. The idea of ending up in a nursing home scares me more than death.

Jan 25, 2011
^^^^^^^^
I'm blown away by all of your kind responses. I just wanted people to be aware of what aphasia was and the devastating consequences of the affliction. Covid and retirement made me get real serious about reducing some of my bad habits. Lost a lot of weight, exercise regularly, take my blood pressure, and statin medicine religiously, and essentially don't drink any more. The idea of ending up in a nursing home scares me more than death.
Good for you to take those steps. I had a stroke in July last year. July 23. I stopped smoking that day, haven't had a cola since, no bad foods. Lost 85 pounds so far. Exercise regularly, blood pressure has gone from around 180/95 in the hospital to 100/70 consistently. Cholesterol dropped to nothing on my LDL. (It's sad I now know what this means now) and I'm only 47. I went to bed and didn't tell my wife the evening it happened. I'm lucky I was alive the next day to go to the hospital. Being in the stroke unit and seeing others who weren't going to live a normal life made me actually feel guilty I was leaving after only three days.

I won't be tempting fate like that ever again. I don't seem to have any physical effects but I do have some upper level brain function issues if only minor. I'm terrified every day they will get worse or another stroke will happen. It's sad it takes a wake up call like that for some of us sometimes but man... can they be effective. I'm sorry you had to see your loved ones go through that but so glad it helped you make some great life choices for yourself for the rest of your years!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Why is this in P&N? Its not like Biden, Trump, Putin or some other world leader was diagnosed with aphasia...

Edit: Eh I guess "& News" sorry for being a douche.

At least Willis will have a long history of playing lovable characters and be immortalized on film while literal millions of people suffer quietly, alone and forgotten.

I know people like to shit on it, but sometimes a celebrity being public about a disease diagnosis will get star power funding bucks and attention on something that never received much of anything before (Aphasia and Alzheimers/dementia are not hidden by any means, but even casting some light on symptoms people might be ignoring for early intervention is a good thing).

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

So sorry hal. Bruce Willis, the target of sad news here, will get the care he needs I'm pretty sure. I'm more sorry about your parents. My dad is gone, but I'm doing what I can to keep my mom around and happy.

Good for you to take those steps. I had a stroke in July last year. July 23. I stopped smoking that day, haven't had a cola since, no bad foods. Lost 85 pounds so far. Exercise regularly, blood pressure has gone from around 180/95 in the hospital to 100/70 consistently. Cholesterol dropped to nothing on my LDL. (It's sad I now know what this means now) and I'm only 47. I went to bed and didn't tell my wife the evening it happened. I'm lucky I was alive the next day to go to the hospital. Being in the stroke unit and seeing others who weren't going to live a normal life made me actually feel guilty I was leaving after only three days.

I won't be tempting fate like that ever again. I don't seem to have any physical effects but I do have some upper level brain function issues if only minor. I'm terrified every day they will get worse or another stroke will happen. It's sad it takes a wake up call like that for some of us sometimes but man... can they be effective. I'm sorry you had to see your loved ones go through that but so glad it helped you make some great life choices for yourself for the rest of your years!

Wow. I can empathize with a lot of that. My wife had quick trio of them at 42, Nov of 2019. Kinda made the whole pandemic a double whammy in many ways. Sometimes I still feel dazed, I went a couple weeks without really sleeping much, while everything changed for us. She did 17 days in the stroke center, became a rock star there. Cut to today her speech is 100% back to where it was and she has no need for a cane or brace (slight limp). Her right hand and arm strength are about 60-70% of what they were, with slowish hand coordination, but given where she was - paralyzed right side of body - she is pretty much the text book example of success through tenacity and support. Happy to say we have great doctors and nurses in Vermont. People tell me she was young to have a stroke, but there was a 23 year old there while she was.

I cannot stress enough how much I agree with you about it being a 'wake up call.' You hear and read about people having strokes but until you experience it in person you have no idea. Not being able to cook for yourself, use the bathroom, take a bath by yourself, kinda big deals. Watching someone you love have their dignity crushed is really hard, especially when your options to do something are limited or nonexistent. Certainly helps one maintain better habits anyway. If I start to miss alcohol I just remind myself how it shrinks the brain. Et voila, now I'm having an iced tea.

I'm glad you were so lucky MoS, that's some great progess. Life changes like that are going to make you an old man some day. Keep it up.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

1. Psychedelic's. in terms of neuroplasticity and rewiring that old processing unit. I read good things about toad.
2. Hit up Dr David Sinclairs podcast(one season, 8 pods), there is several things you can be doing to optimize your ability to recuperate.

Its not over till its over, go out screaming and all that.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

My family have had Alzheimer's up close and personal too, for a way way way too long and extended period. My fathers mother got it at like 50 and proceeded to live over 20 years, 10+ in that "who are you, I am your son"-state. It drains *everybody*. I have sworn and promised my parents to "take care of business" if it ever hits home again.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Wow. I can empathize with a lot of that. My wife had quick trio of them at 42, Nov of 2019. Kinda made the whole pandemic a double whammy in many ways. Sometimes I still feel dazed, I went a couple weeks without really sleeping much, while everything changed for us. She did 17 days in the stroke center, became a rock star there. Cut to today her speech is 100% back to where it was and has no need for a cane or brace (slight limp). Her right hand and arm strength are about 60-70% of what they were, with slowish hand coordination, but given where she was - paralyzed right side of body - she is pretty much the text book example of success through tenacity and support. Happy to say we have great doctors and nurses in Vermont. People tell me she was young to have a stroke, but there was a 23 year old there while she was.

I cannot stress enough how much I agree with you about it being a 'wake up call.' You hear and read about people having strokes but until you experience it in person you have no idea. Not being able to cook for yourself, use the bathroom, take a bath by yourself, kinda big deals. Watching someone you love have their dignity crushed is really hard, especially when your options to do something are limited or nonexistent. Certainly helps one maintain better habits anyway. If I start to miss alcohol I just remind myself how it shrinks the brain. Et voila, now I'm having an iced tea.

I'm glad you were so lucky MoS, that's some great progess. Life changes like that are going to make you an old man some day. Keep it up.
I am so sorry you guys have had to endure all that and glad to hear she is doing so well. Especially as you said to be so young. That’s one thing I realized is there’s no such thing as too young. I wasn’t too young, I was too careless thinking I was too young.

i got lucky (weird to say) in that mine was a cerebellar stroke. While they are the rarest and most fatal, I had a minor one (well two according to the MRIs). Because it was the cerebellum, I didn’t have paralysis and speech center impact. None of the traditional symptoms they say to watch for.

I lost my coordination and balance, severe nausea. My vision was off seeing double but up and down, not side to side. I have some memory issues time to time. I can’t type like I used to which is weird. I just make so many mistakes. It could have shut down my ability to swallow, to breathe. I thought it was vertigo which is why I didn’t tell anyone. I went to bed thinking I’ll feel better in the morning. Even with surviving I’m lucky my wife didn’t kill me!

I so hear you on those odd cravings. All I need to think is you almost died you idiot and it all stops…. No matter what it is. I tell anyone who will listen now to pay attention to what their body is telling them. You always think “I’m too young, I have time to change”. You don’t.

Last edited:

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
I've been reading this site since Anand was still here. Didn't post until recently when I took some time off work to be at home with my wife who has been declining the last few years. Her decline is caused by head injuries from her first husband who used to beat her. Almost killed her but she finally got away to town {they lived in the woods on a nearby island}. Took years to deal with her PTSD. Finally had a few good years when she could sleep soundly but now the damage he did is taking her away. I read and post here when I have to take a break from it. I should have done this a few years ago as now it's too late to really enjoy time together though she does have some short stretches of time when she is better than others. Alot of what I do is keep things calm as she gets much worse when she stresses over what is happening to her. She knows she is losing control and it scares her. Not the retirement plan I'd hoped for. I figure if I start going the same way I'll just OD in the woods and float away on a cloud of titties as they say. Last time I mention this but thanks for bringing this to light. Apologies for the downer post.
I hope everyone affected by Alzheimers. Aphasia or any debilitating brain disease gets the care they deserve. I hope her ex-husband and all others like him DIAFF.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
1. Psychedelic's. in terms of neuroplasticity and rewiring that old processing unit. I read good things about toad.
2. Hit up Dr David Sinclairs podcast(one season, 8 pods), there is several things you can be doing to optimize your ability to recuperate.

Its not over till its over, go out screaming and all that.

It's probably been too long for her, but I'm still going to look into that. I still can't believe Mike Tyson got all into toad and other things, now has a scholar grade understanding of European history. Ith craythee.

Weirdest thing so far was they injected my wife's arm and hand with Botox. 1st time they did seemed to give an almost tangible improvement in both finger control and grip strength. It wore off, and two subsequent treatments months later tended to give her better control, but killed her grip strength. She gave up on it, not worth not being to maintain a hold on things. You drop someting 2 or 3 times in a day, it's annoying. You drop something 57 times in a day and you want to take a hostage.

Reactions: Pohemi and cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It's probably been too long for her, but I'm still going to look into that. I still can't believe Mike Tyson got all into toad and other things, now has a scholar grade understanding of European history. Ith craythee.

Weirdest thing so far was they injected my wife's arm and hand with Botox. 1st time they did seemed to give an almost tangible improvement in both finger control and grip strength. It wore off, and two subsequent treatments months later tended to give her better control, but killed her grip strength. She gave up on it, not worth not being to maintain a hold on things. You drop someting 2 or 3 times in a day, it's annoying. You drop something 57 times in a day and you want to take a hostage.

In terms of what makes the brain tick and (re)build neural pathways I highly recommend Huberman

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I've been reading this site since Anand was still here. Didn't post until recently when I took some time off work to be at home with my wife who has been declining the last few years. Her decline is caused by head injuries from her first husband who used to beat her. Almost killed her but she finally got away to town {they lived in the woods on a nearby island}. Took years to deal with her PTSD. Finally had a few good years when she could sleep soundly but now the damage he did is taking her away. I read and post here when I have to take a break from it. I should have done this a few years ago as now it's too late to really enjoy time together though she does have some short stretches of time when she is better than others. Alot of what I do is keep things calm as she gets much worse when she stresses over what is happening to her. She knows she is losing control and it scares her. Not the retirement plan I'd hoped for. I figure if I start going the same way I'll just OD in the woods and float away on a cloud of titties as they say. Last time I mention this but thanks for bringing this to light. Apologies for the downer post.
I hope everyone affected by Alzheimers. Aphasia or any debilitating brain disease gets the care they deserve. I hope her ex-husband and all others like him DIAFF.
Wherever people gather together community breaks out. We are a band of brothers. Thanks for sharing. As seen in this very thread, life can come at us hard. It's good to share. No man is an island.