Browser hijacking ad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Just because it's a tech site doesn't mean anyone working on it knows anything about tech. They obviously don't.

You cannot troll tech issues forum nor callout our mod crew.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Viddyvane

Assistant Community Manager
Administrator
Feb 22, 2017
@UsandThem

Please send the reports anyways to the email address attached. I'll be contacting the Ads Team about getting a new reporting process that will also include Android 7.0 and up. Thank you so much for updating us on the process.

Reactions: Crono

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
@UsandThem

Please send the reports anyways to the email address attached. I'll be contacting the Ads Team about getting a new reporting process that will also include Android 7.0 and up. Thank you so much for updating us on the process.

Ok thanks. I'll get them sent to the email address a little bit later today, and hopefully they help.

Reactions: Crono

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
This is just getting crazy. I'm getting redirects about 50% of the time now on my s6. This is the only site that it occurs. I have an issue with the admins who act like they're helpless without screen shots and forms filled out. I'll be back in a month maybe. Get these low life advertisers out of here.

Reactions: FirNaTine and Oyeve

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
This is just getting crazy. I'm getting redirects about 50% of the time now on my s6. This is the only site that it occurs. I have an issue with the admins who act like they're helpless without screen shots and forms filled out. I'll be back in a month maybe. Get these low life advertisers out of here.
Same here on my S9+ and Note 8. Ridiculous. Twice tonight.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
I just got hit with a redirect ad where a voice was speaking in Portuguese FFS. This is getting annoying. It's been a fairly regular occurrence for me. I'm on a ZTE ZMAX Pro and this ONLY happens on Anandtech. This is extremely disappointing.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Its up to the web site owners to make sure the experience is good. If they dont push back on ads then why would the ad companies care?

Reactions: FirNaTine

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
I just got hit with a redirect ad where a voice was speaking in Portuguese FFS. This is getting annoying. It's been a fairly regular occurrence for me. I'm on a ZTE ZMAX Pro and this ONLY happens on Anandtech. This is extremely disappointing.
Please, please, please go through the process of logging this and sending us the logs. We can get this stuff removed almost immediately if we know which ad network is delivering this crud. But the converse of that is that these things are essentially random and are geotargeted to avoid detection; most of the time we can't see them, so your reports are critical.to getting these removed.

Its up to the web site owners to make sure the experience is good. If they dont push back on ads then why would the ad companies care?
We do push back. The ad providers generally offer an insincere apology at best. After all, what are you going to do? Stop running advertising on your website? :mad:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Hmm, haven't had any redirects here, at least not in a long time. Chrome 65 did a lot to reduce phishing attacks like what's being described in this thread, plus I'm sure those monthly security updates from Google help as well.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Please, please, please go through the process of logging this and sending us the logs. We can get this stuff removed almost immediately if we know which ad network is delivering this crud. But the converse of that is that these things are essentially random and are geotargeted to avoid detection; most of the time we can't see them, so your reports are critical.to getting these removed.

We do push back. The ad providers generally offer an insincere apology at best. After all, what are you going to do? Stop running advertising on your website? :mad:

http://us.generalized186di.top/u122...ice_id=none&sizeid=300250&mediaid=pulsepoint"

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm getting the amazon redirect about 1/4 threads I visit.

Feb 4, 2009
So irritating, I’ve been bombarded today with pop ups and redirects on my iPhone. So I load up the suggested browser tracker thing and all excited to help eliminate this problem. I go from getting one every few minutes to going nearly 45 minutes straight without a problem.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, I was browsing on a Windows 10 laptop, and I had recently installed Malwarebytes 3.6.1.xx consumer version, and it enabled the "Premium Trial" for 14 days (realtime protection), and wouldn't you know it, it said Firefox was connecting to (random letters).(random letters).com , and labeled it a Trojan.

So I did a "deep" (rootkits included) scan using MWB, but it didn't find anything. So I think it was a (bad ad) re-direct thingy. I however, cannot say if it was Anandtech Forums or not. It actually probably wasn't, at all, because I run blockers. I did however just browse to an article linked on Pocket to Vogue.com. So there's that.

Never gotten this on any other machine, but I'm now thinking of installing MWB Premium on all of them, even if it does cost me $200 total for all of my PCs. (Maybe a site license would be cheaper?)

Feb 4, 2009
@UsandThem

Where do I send the logs, I captured one. Browser has been redirected about a dozen times getting into this thread. I try the link but I think I’ll get redirected

Dec 10, 2005
There is another set of ads running wild today with the browser redirects. Kind of discourages me from visiting...