Browser Certificates

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
What happens when the certificates are changed to a 1 year expiration later this year ? Do the browsers update them automatically and will older browsers, such as Firefox 52.9.0ESR also update the certificate lists ? What will also happen if / when they go to HTTPS over DNS ? Will older browsers still work, will my router need to be updated or is that done at the ISP (ATT UVerse) ? ? If worst comes to pass, I would need the latest Opera or Chrome or Firefox on my Windows 10 Laptop
Thanks

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Certificates will not renew itself. Whoever buys and install the certificates need to renew themselves.

Old certificates will continue to work until they expire.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I know the sites have to get the cert from the cert company, but how do the browsers validate them ? Do they all just query the CA company site to check them ? Will older browsers still work with the proposed changes ?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I know the sites have to get the cert from the cert company, but how do the browsers validate them ? Do they all just query the CA company site to check them ? Will older browsers still work with the proposed changes ?

If the certificate expired and not renewed and you still need to visit the website, just make it an exception in your browser.

No idea about old browsers.

Last edited: