Brown Recluse Spider Bite

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
looks like a white tail spider bite....oh wait the thumb was still attached...they tend to rott off with white tail bites

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Mike
I thought the BR resided in CA as well?

not unless you're talking about illegal imigrants whenever the ins starts snooping around

edit: nevermind. they've spread.

thank God i'm moving back to maryland in a couple years.... brown recluse-free.

new map posted

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: eits

not unless you're talking about illegal imigrants whenever the ins starts snooping around

new map posted

Man, I think they've spread to MD because I saw several near my house and a few friends also saw them around their houses. We made positive IDs by taking pics and comparing. :( They're freakin everywhere.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: VanTheMan

new map posted

Man, I think they've spread to MD because I saw several near my house and a few friends also saw them around their houses. We made positive IDs by taking pics and comparing. :( They're freakin everywhere.

There's a type of common house spider that looks very similar to the BR, most people get them confused a lot. Might've been those.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: mobobuff

new map posted

There's a type of common house spider that looks very similar to the BR, most people get them confused a lot. Might've been those.

I've seen quite a few of these in my apt. Freaked me out at first b/c they do look very similar to the BR - but then of course they didn't have the violin on their back.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
From what I understand this type of reaction to the brown recluse spider bite is very rare. Also, ignoring the symptoms and letting it go too far long before seeking medical treatment doesn't help.

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000

new map posted

The brown recluse isn't indigenous to Maryland, but it is encountered. According to U of Maryland agricultural department, infestation may occur if transported with items from the midwest where it is common. They do not survive winter outside of heated structures, but they could theoretically spread from your house to your neighbor's house in warm weather. Being transported by people is the only way many species reside in the areas they do (ex. Horses were not present in North America prior to European colonization.) So eits, check all your stuff for brown recluses before you move back to MD to make sure you don't bring any of them with you! ;)

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

new map posted

The brown recluse isn't indigenous to Maryland, but it is encountered. According to U of Maryland agricultural department, infestation may occur if transported with items from the midwest where it is common. They do not survive winter outside of heated structures, but they could theoretically spread from your house to your neighbor's house in warm weather. Being transported by people is the only way many species reside in the areas they do (ex. Horses were not present in North America prior to European colonization.) So eits, check all your stuff for brown recluses before you move back to MD to make sure you don't bring any of them with you! ;)

i'll check and doublecheck