Broke my cooler. Can I still use it?

cestral

Sep 4, 2011
I was installing a Kraken X62 when I overtightened one of the screws so that it broke. The cooler still seems very firmly attached even if only three screws are holding it in place atm. Do you think it's safe to turn on?

NZXT appears to take 2-3 weeks to send a replacement screw to Europe and it's gonna suck if I have to wait all this time.

The CPU is a 7700k.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Loosen the screw at the opposite corner a bit, so that the two screws adjacent to the broken one are carrying the majority of the load. And then dont bump your PC until you receive the replacement and it will be fine.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
you might also be able to find a hex nut with similar threading if you take one of the thumb screw cap things to a hardware store and test it on various bolts for a threading match.
If both sides of the standoff are the same threading, it will probably be a 6-32 hex nut but ymmv.

getting the hex nut off might be tricky unless you have the appropriate tools for it though.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I did the same thing when building the rig in my sig. Over-tightened one of the four mounts. I'm guessing that I had stripped the mounting bolt. Just backed off a bit on the affected one. Made sure everything the heatsink/pump was solidly mated and then left it alone. My 4790K has been stable @ 4.7Ghz for over two years now.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
What happened to the lower part of the broken screw? Where is it?

cestral

Sep 4, 2011
The lower part of the screw is stuck inside the standoff.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, but the replies came in a bit too late. I have already sent the whole thing back waiting for a replacement. Apparently the store had to take the whole thing back for me to get a replacement. Unfortunately they're out of stock atm so it looks like I have to wait two-three weeks for a new one. Sucks.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
Yeah, it's pretty annoying when the mounting hardware breaks :s. I guess it's better than the alternative where the motherboard or cpu breaks from overtightening though ;).

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
My first thought would be to fire it up and check temps.

If the temps are ok I would just leave it.

But since im not sure how you would get the broken screw out of the standoff perhaps replacement is best.