British forces soundly defeated -- admit "in truth, they thrashed us."

Bite

Apr 14, 2001
UNITED BY FOOTBALL

Coalition forces have sustained an unexpected defeat - on the football field.

British troops in Iraq have been given a 9-3 drubbing by a local side.

Hundreds of residents turned up to watch the Royal Marines take on a team in Umm Khayyal.

Some of the spectators wore Manchester United or Arsenal shirts; others held playing card pictures of David Beckham and David Seaman.

The Marines from 42 Commando said the game started when they began a kick-about with local children in a dusty square.

News spread and a local team turned up - complete with full kit, a referee armed with red and yellow cards, and two flag-waving linesmen.

The Marines, wearing combats and army boots, were comprehensively outplayed.

One Marine said: "The boys thought they must be the Iraqi international side or something. In truth, they thrashed us."

Text

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Almost every bit of information I hear coming out of this war turns out to be inaccurate.

It's a shame when they can't even get the score of a happy soccer game right.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Almost every bit of information I hear coming out of this war turns out to be inaccurate.

It's a shame when they can't even get the score of a happy soccer game right.

The last quote was the same, that's what reminded of the article.

Still nice to see how much we are hated over there, all the pics of Iraqi people smiling, waving, giving high fives, and thumbs up at our troops was starting to make me nervous.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: prontospyder
:)

I think they played multiple games.

It's always a possibility, but getting the score wrong would be consistent with most other information I hear coming from the news, such as the "1000 vehicle Iraqi convoy" thatnever materialized, the finding of "smoking gun" evidence, the POW had multiple gunshot wounds, then didn't, and now maybe does again, etc.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Alistar7

The last quote was the same, that's what reminded of the article.

Still nice to see how much we are hated over there, all the pics of Iraqi people smiling, waving, giving high fives, and thumbs up at our troops was starting to make me nervous.

yeah, lol

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002

It's always a possibility, but getting the score wrong would be consistent with most other information I hear coming from the news, such as the "1000 vehicle Iraqi convoy" thatnever materialized, the finding of "smoking gun" evidence, the POW had multiple gunshot wounds, then didn't, and now maybe does again, etc.

Independent verification by a former UN weapons inspector with msnbc in the field that showed the presence of Ricin is good enough for me, give it some time, we will find a ton of evidence once everything is secure.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999

Its the "fog of war". At least it will soon clear up, and the Iraq population will no longer live the "fear of life under Saddam"

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002

Are you serious? The score doesnt frigging matter, if you want to see the stupid score then click on the link.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: rawoutput

Are you serious? The score doesnt frigging matter, if you want to see the stupid score then click on the link.

WOW.... that's all I can say... wow....

You're either stupid or oblivious. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here....

There were 2 links posted, each listing a different score. And I do not see how you could *entirely* miss the point of my post pertaining to the inaccuracy of reports coming out of Iraq in the past few days. You're talking about the game's score and I'm talking about the fact that a few different versions of the same story routinely come out with varying accounts of what happened before the truth is finally established. It's almost as if your perception goes no deeper than what's readily apparent on the surface.

Once in a while someone comes along who has the superhuman ability to miss the writing on the wall. That person is you. I'll call you "SuperMoron".

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rawoutput

WOW.... that's all I can say... wow....

You're either stupid or oblivious. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here....

There were 2 links posted, each listing a different score. And I do not see how you could *entirely* miss the point of my post pertaining to the inaccuracy of reports coming out of Iraq in the past few days. You're talking about the game's score and I'm talking about the fact that a few different versions of the same story routinely come out with varying accounts of what happened before the truth is finally established. It's almost as if your perception goes no deeper than what's readily apparent on the surface.

Once in a while someone comes along who has the superhuman ability to miss the writing on the wall. That person is you. I'll call you "SuperMoron".

So I guess since the score is so important, it doesnt matter the teams exchanged goals instead of bullets
rolleye.gif

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Please refer to it as a fotball game, since that was what it was, since it was the British playing, not the Americans.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Joeyman
[So I guess since the score is so important, it doesnt matter the teams exchanged goals instead of bullets
rolleye.gif

Another clueless moron who can't see past the face value of a post to understand the underlying meaning. Good work for exposing yourself as the idiot you are. And the "rolleyes" face adds an exquisite touch to highlight the fact that you're an anal twit. Fantastic.

Propaganda works especially well on people like you- you see the commercial, you see the pretty picture it paints, and you buy into its face value without ever thinking about what's really going on beneath the surface.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Please refer to it as a fotball game, since that was what it was, since it was the British playing, not the Americans.

Even the British don't call it "fotball".

Football or soccer, choose one.