Britain apologizes for third-world-like hospital

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Link

Between 400 and 1,200 more people died than would have been expected in a three-year period at the National Health Service (NHS) hospital

Hmm.

Receptionists with no medical training were left to to assess patients arriving at the hospital's accident and emergency department, the report found.

LOL, that's pretty awful. I imagine there are bad hospitals in the US but I honestly doubt there are any with untrained secretaries doing triage.

Man, Britain just cannot get anything right these days. :p

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
That's 1 hospital... America has yet to apologize to the 50+ million uninsured in our own country.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Phokus
That's 1 hospital... America has yet to apologize to the 50+ million uninsured in our own country.

Yawn. Lefties spend so much time talking about a small minority of the population.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
I could find horror stories about America's hospital where they let patients die and no one care.

Nov 30, 2006
You sir are not sane...do yourself a favor and seek help immediately.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

Don't forget housing, America wants people to pay for their own homes.... Bastards

Everything should be free!!

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: babylon5
I could find horror stories about America's hospital where they let patients die and no one care.

That's why I always recommend that people that don't get the health care they deserve to go to Mexico or Canada.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
You sir are not sane...do yourself a favor and seek help immediately.

Just don't go to an American hospital.... Mexico or Canada.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Well then, I guess the options for such people are:

Suffer uninsured in America

or

Suffer covered by UHC in Britain.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Atreus21

or

...and on average live a longer, more productive life while costing the system less money per capita.

People, stop trying to use isolated examples to prop up larger points. There is no evidence that this hospital is representative of the British health care system as a whole, and so acting like it is is incredibly dishonest.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't know. I guess I didn't expect my thread to go any differently than this, I should have expected it in retrospect. Maybe that's all it deserves!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

or

...and on average live a longer, more productive life while costing the system less money per capita.

Huh? Say what you want about the US, but we are about as productive as it gets.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com...usiness/business4.html

"American workers stay longer in the office, at the factory or on the farm than their counterparts in Europe and most other rich nations, and they produce more per person over the year.

They also get more done per hour than everyone but the Norwegians, according to an International Labour Organisation (ILO) report released Monday, which said the United States "leads the world in labour productivity".

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

or

Not every country has the same quality UHC.

Also, UHC could suffer from more people taking advantage of 'free' health care. I know if I had free health care, I'd go more often for checkups and minor ailments. As it is, I try to avoid going unless I'm deathly ill or have no other choice.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: winnar111

Yawn. Lefties spend so much time talking about a small minority of the population.

50 million people is not a small minority

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
ever hear of Walter Reed Hospital?

1 hospital that performs poorly in Britian is supposed to be evidence of what, the failure of their health care system? Pathetic.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

or

"American workers stay longer in the office, at the factory or on the farm than their counterparts in Europe and most other rich nations, and they produce more per person over the year.

They also get more done per hour than everyone but the Norwegians, according to an International Labour Organisation (ILO) report released Monday, which said the United States "leads the world in labour productivity".

My post was not in reference to the relative productivity standards between the US and Europe, it was how productive a sick person might be who is treated under UHC vs. that same sick person here without insurance.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: NeoV

1 hospital that performs poorly in Britian is supposed to be evidence of what, the failure of their health care system? Pathetic.

Isn't Walter Reed gov't run? What are you trying to prove?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: NeoV

Isn't Walter Reed gov't run? What are you trying to prove?

Ouch

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

or

My post was not in reference to the relative productivity standards between the US and Europe, it was how productive a sick person might be who is treated under UHC vs. that same sick person here without insurance.

I would be willing to gamble that most legal and productive people here in the US can find a way to get a job that helps with insurance, or pay for it on their own.

It seems to me that Americans prioritize a HD DVR cable box, cell phones for all 4.5 people in the family, eating at Chilis twice a month, and driving that brand new SUV. Then, when they get a $100-$400 medical bill, they freak out.

Or, they just go without insurance and play the "get hurt, get medical care in ER, file bankruptsy" game.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999

Righties spend so much time rambling without any math or scientific education or reasoning skills. How else would you define 16% of a massive country as a 'small minority'?

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999

or

I would be willing to gamble that most legal and productive people here in the US can find a way to get a job that helps with insurance, or pay for it on their own.

It seems to me that Americans prioritize a HD DVR cable box, cell phones for all 4.5 people in the family, eating at Chilis twice a month, and driving that brand new SUV. Then, when they get a $100-$400 medical bill, they freak out.

Or, they just go without insurance and play the "get hurt, get medical care in ER, file bankruptsy" game.

Have you every actually gotten a medical bill under $400? I think for anything other than minor stupid crap like visiting your GP for a fever, the bills are usually atrocious.

The one thing the communism fear-mongers fail to understand is that UHC would lift the burden of basic health coverage from businesses, and at the same time encourage preventative care.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

And you are basing this on what? Average medical costs for a family of 4 were $15,609 last year. I find it strange that I hear on here about how the tax increases people will face to pay for UHC are backbreaking, but you seem to be arguing that an average family has $15,000+ sitting around that they just blow each year instead of getting health insurance.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: DukeN

Righties spend so much time rambling without any math or scientific education or reasoning skills. How else would you define 16% of a massive country as a 'small minority'?

Factor in the 20 year olds who can buy insurance but don't, and the generally unproductive, its a small percentage either way you slice it.