Bridge to Terabithia

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't think it was that great. I kept expecting something great to happen but it never really did.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: MustISO
I didn't think it was that great. I kept expecting something great to happen but it never really did.

Agreed. It was horrible.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I wasn't impressed. Killing off a cute tween girl and focusing on her lonely BFF to get an emotional reaction from the audience? Yeah, they really took a big risk there...

No one found that plot device patronizing or boringly "safe"?

The kids were decent actors though -- I'll give 'em that.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

Everyone I know that saw it said the same thing...

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Well it doesn't end like most people think. I remember watching the trailers for it on TV while recalling the book and thinking, 'Whoa, there are going to be some really surprised people.' Still, though, I think Where the Red Fern Grows was much harder to read. I cried when I read that book.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: hjo3
I wasn't impressed. Killing off a cute tween girl and focusing on her lonely BFF to get an emotional reaction from the audience? Yeah, they really took a big risk there...

Would you rather them change the story significantly? Or how about just not make the movie at all! That isn't taking any risks!

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I think they did a good job, considering the book is such a beautiful work of modern children's literature.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: illusion88
Would you rather them change the story significantly? Or how about just not make the movie at all! That isn't taking any risks!
I wish they would have taken some kind of risk. For example, they mentioned heaven and God a few times, but never explored it further. It would have been interesting to see Jess form some kind of afterlife belief (or lack of belief) in response to Leslie's death. Instead, he just learns how to cope.

I kind of resent movies that generate emotion for emotion's sake. It's cheap. Use those feelings to spotlight something! Give the audience something to think about.

I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, I just didn't think it was particularly good.

BTW, don't take it personally -- I'm not putting down your opinion. If you enjoyed it, more power to you.

alyssa

Feb 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496

Agreed. It was horrible.

I second the motion.

My mom and I kept expecting something Narnia-esque to happen. It was lame.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We watched it on a plane, and It was just OK. I liked the cast and the imagery, but I would not go rent it again. I would read the book!

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007

WTF please add the word spoiler:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
so was it more than just the cutting room floor from chronicles of narnia (which the ads make it seem to be)?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Flammable

WTF please add the word spoiler:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|

It's a 30 year old novel. Get over it.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I thought it was a great movie, my wife thought it was good, my three kids liked it
I guess they hit the demographic