Breaking!! Shooter opens fire Clackamas Town Center Mall near Portland

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
A donkey loaded with books remains a donkey.

What's up with you today man? I made a pretty solid argument as to why this is not the collective fault of everyone and you just started insulting everyone. You ok?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Apparently no amount of right to carry laws seem to be effective in actually stopping crazed gunman.

Sadly none of our AT P&N gun afficionados were in the mall to stop this guy.

Maybe we need must carry laws that require everyone to actually have the gun in their hand whenever they leave their home.

Kind of a dumb post. "Right to carry laws"? Malls always have a "No Guns Allowed" policy.

Those with CC permits are law abiding people and wouldn't have carried their gun in with them to go shopping.

Fern

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What's up with you today man? I made a pretty solid argument as to why this is not the collective fault of everyone and you just started insulting everyone. You ok?

He's right Moonbeam, that was stupid. I went through plenty of unpleasant stuff as a kid at the hands of other people but that doesn't mean I have a right to blame them for, or to actually participate in, doing something like this. Each of us has a personal responsibility to find a way to cope with any negative experiences we may have had in our lives and turn it into a positive as we grow up. This person failed to realize that for any number of reasons, unfortunately.

I certainly feel for the victims and their families in the wake of this senseless act, and hope they can find the serenity to move forward and find their peace and happiness again.

You mean this?

We all went through worse than a concentration camp. You just don't remember. And yes neither you nor anybody else has any right to blame. The folk who fucked you over were as asleep as you are now and are deserving of complete innocence, even though they were the cause of your destruction. You know jack shit about personal responsibility and are only mouthing babble. You are asleep. No responsibility can accrue to you. Only folk who know something can be held accountable for this, folk like me because nothing I can say or do will awaken you.

You don't know that you don't know, don't want to know, and don't want to know you don't want to know, but I do. I tell you that our mass denial is why this man had to kill, but you are in denial of your denial. The price of truth, real truth is very very expensive. It will cost you everything you believe. The person failed not for any number of reasons but for the exact reasons I said.

The facts are that just because it is insane to blame others for what we feel, we do in our feelings. At cause and responsible are not the same thing. If you could get in touch with what you really feel you would know this.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Maybe if we didn't have 40+ years of liberal hate spewed in schools, there wouldn't be so much self loathing.

/mostly sarcastic

The conservative parties in most of europe are to the left of the democrats... so where is their violence? Liberals have 1/100 of the US Senate. They are for all intents and purposes non existent in the US, yet you bring them up in every thread.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The brain, like bodily organs, is not impervious to natural and tangible defects. Such defects are no one's fault.

All insane people are not 'made', some are born.

Speculating on the cause of the shooter's mental condition and its causes is far too premature.

Fern

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The brain, like bodily organs, is not impervious to natural and tangible defects. Such defects are no one's fault.

All insane people are not 'made', some are born.

Speculating on the cause of the shooter's mental condition and its causes is far too premature.

Fern

The shooter is one of an endless parade of young men who gun down crowds of innocent people. The best that can be said is that the causes are unknown to you. It is possible that some folk aren't born human, that they can't feel things are alive and treat all living things as inanimate things. This is not what we have here.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Apparently no amount of right to carry laws seem to be effective in actually stopping crazed gunman.

Maybe we need must carry laws that require everyone to actually have the gun in their hand whenever they leave their home.

Well, well. It now turns out the shooter was stopped by a guy in the mall who had CC permit and his gun with him.

PORTLAND -- Nick Meli is emotionally drained. The 22-year-old was at Clackamas Town Center with a friend and her baby when a masked man opened fire.

"I heard three shots and turned and looked at Casey and said, 'are you serious?,'" he said.

The friend and baby hit the floor. Meli, who has a concealed carry permit, positioned himself behind a pillar.

"He was working on his rifle," said Meli. "He kept pulling the charging handle and hitting the side."

The break in gunfire allowed Meli to pull out his own gun, but he never took his eyes off the shooter.

"As I was going down to pull, I saw someone in the back of the Charlotte move, and I knew if I fired and missed, I could hit them," he said.

Meli took cover inside a nearby store. He never pulled the trigger. He stands by that decision.

"I'm not beating myself up cause I didn't shoot him," said Meli. "I know after he saw me, I think the last shot he fired was the one he used on himself."

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html

Fern

Apr 27, 2012

Pathetic how a leftist like you uses this tragedy to push your political agenda

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
well duh. no suprise. the school shooting has been in the news 24/7 ON EVERY FUCKING channel

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Umm no he didnt. You have one guy who hid behind a pillar then ran into a store say, it was because the shooter saw the gun he never fired, he killed himself.

But don't let facts get in the way.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

I do understand that the guy with CC 'claims' the shooter killed himself after seeing him with the gun aimed. I don't think it's unlikely at all that after clearing the jam the shooter chose to kill himself instead of trying to kill more people and risk being shot and captured etc. If this were the case, then the presence of the guy with his gun clearly prevented additional deaths.

Fern

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Based on that link it does sound like the guy with the CC did end up resulting in the killer committing suicide, even if the CC never had to fire, because these fucks are all cowards and would rather die than end up hurt or in prison. It's very likely that the CC resulted in less deaths here.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

I do understand that the guy with CC 'claims' the shooter killed himself after seeing him with the gun aimed. I don't think it's unlikely at all that after clearing the jam the shooter chose to kill himself instead of trying to kill more people and risk being shot and captured etc. If this were the case, then the presence of the guy with his gun clearly prevented additional deaths.

Fern
Having been to the mall, seen the pillars knowing the layout of the location in question, its a huge huge huge jump to conclude the Killer shot himself after seeing the guy with the CCW. Not saying that is impossible but you said "It now turns out the shooter was stopped by a guy in the mall who had CC permit and his gun with him" thats a huge fing leap.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Based on that link it does sound like the guy with the CC did end up resulting in the killer committing suicide, even if the CC never had to fire, because these fucks are all cowards and would rather die than end up hurt or in prison. It's very likely that the CC resulted in less deaths here.

My big issue with that assumption is that the shooter actually move significantly from that location then shot himself, if it was because of the guy with the CCW he would have capped himself right there after he unjammed the gun.

Its more likely the police response, sounds of sirens as he is scrambling had more to do with it. The shooter is hitting his gun trying to unjam, I doubt he was looking around the pillar. Possible just not real likley

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I suppose in fact we may not know for sue one way or the other.

Its possible, just seems less credible because the charolette russe is on the upper level of the mall not the lower level where he shot himself.

Nick Meli said he didnt fire because of someone at Charlotte, on the upper level of the mall.

"Police said today that Roberts parked his car outside of the Macy's department store at the mall, entered the mall on the second floor, and then "moved quickly" toward the food court, firing shots. . . Roberts' gun jammed briefly while shooting at the food court, but he was able to continue shooting after it resumed working, police said.
Roberts then ran down a hallway and a flight of stairs to the first floor of the mall, near an REI store, where he apparently shot himself, police said."

The REI lower level is pretty far away from the Charlotte on the upper.

Last edited: