Breaking news Elite Team sent out to retrieve Saddam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002

Breaking news: Elite Team sent out to retrieve Saddam gets lost and has to trade their guns, ammo, boots and underwear for water and directions from local street children....

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: hagbard
He's with OSL hanging out at Illuminati hq. The US will never find any of their "terrorists" since that's not what its all about.

tell me who has killed more terrorists in the last 2 years?

so they didn't round up the big rat today? Jesus freakin' Christ, I'm shocked they even found Iraq.........

they are in iraq, right??????

Probably the same person whose killed more innocents.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
still waiting for more info on this....

anyone find a link or two it would be appreciated, ty...

Strangely enough, here's a short article from the Sydney Morning Herald. They mention coverage in the British Observor; I didn't try to track it down.

US troops strike convoy 'carrying' Saddam: report

US troops last week hit a convoy said by US military sources to have been carrying deposed Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and his eldest son Uday, a British newspaper reported today.

The Observer weekly said US experts were in the process of carrying out DNA tests on human remains recovered from the convoy, struck by missiles last Wednesday as it headed out of Iraq towards neighbour Syria.

US military sources said the strikes were launched after the interception of a satellite telephone conversation involving either Saddam or his sons, the paper said.

The convoy was struck near the Iraqi border town of Qaim, while the operation involved the US air force and ground troops of the Third Armoured Cavalry Regiment, it added.

US forces were buoyed last week by the capture of Saddam's closest aide, Abid Hamid Mahmud, the number four on the American most wanted list of former officials in the Iraqi government and military establishment.

That's the whole article. I hate to copy the whole thing, but it's too short to excerpt. Click the link anyway so the SMH can get their ad impressions.

------
They also have an article reporting that Hussein and his sons are claimed to be alive in Syria. Here's that link as well: Saddam survived, close aide tells US

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
still waiting for more info on this....

anyone find a link or two it would be appreciated, ty...

Here's a better story from the BBC. It covers both of the Sydney Morning Herald stories, i.e., both the attack on the convoy and the report that Hussein is alive in Syria.
Saddam and sons 'still alive'

A former top Iraqi official has said that Saddam Hussein survived the Gulf War along with his two sons, US defence sources say.

Mahmud al-Tikriti told interrogators that he had spent time in hiding with Uday and Qusay Hussein and their father after the end of the war this spring.

[ ... ]

A British newspaper reported on Sunday that that US had fired missiles at a convoy believed to be carrying Saddam Hussein and at least one of his sons.

The Observer said the US was carrying out DNA tests to see if the former president was killed in the missile strike on Wednesday.

The paper said US forces had launched their attack based on an intercepted phone call.

There has been no confirmation of the Observer report.

[ ... ]

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: hagbard
He's with OSL hanging out at Illuminati hq. The US will never find any of their "terrorists" since that's not what its all about.

tell me who has killed more terrorists in the last 2 years?

so they didn't round up the big rat today? Jesus freakin' Christ, I'm shocked they even found Iraq.........

they are in iraq, right??????

Probably the same person whose killed more innocents.

AQ has killed plenty, not just on 9/11.......

How many innocents have we intenionally killed?

Bow, they supposedly were sent on a mission to retrieve Saddam, so who knows, maybe it was pieces they were looking for :D

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
New York Times has an article now:

Senators Are Optimistic That U.S. Hit Hussein's Convoy

WASHINGTON, June 22 ? Leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee expressed a guarded hope today that United States missiles might have hit a convoy thought to have been carrying Saddam Hussein.

Asked about a reported missile attack Wednesday on a convoy in western Iraq, Senator Pat Roberts, chairman of the committee, said that he would "not be surprised" to learn that Mr. Hussein had been killed.

[ ... ]

And King Abdullah of Jordan told a television interviewer that he understood Mr. Hussein had been traveling in the part of Iraq where the attack was reported to have occurred.

[ ... ]