BREAKING NEWS:2nd US Court of Appeals(NY): Executive Branch Can not hold US Citizen Padilla as Enemy Combatant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Zebo
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Great news. There may be hope for our judicial system. Let's charge him, get him a good lawyer. and properly convict him in accordance with our cherished principle of due process and a fair trial. It's time we stopped acting like some Communist police state and started being America again.

As this case shown just how anti-american and anti-constitution Bush is what makes you think he'll comply as the consititutional law calls for? He controls all the enforcement arms of the federal governement.
To me this is just a ruling.

Hopefully you are wrong.

At the very least Bush will seek a stay while he launches yet another appeal, but final one, to the supreme court which will be defacto obstruction.

Bitdog

Dec 3, 2003
When Presidents appoint Supreme Court Judges based upon their abilities to take orders,
or support a political party, or religion, or their adjendas, such as remove a womans rights to choice,
we the people have to put up with unconstutional laws that deny rights to all.

I'm not for releasing a terrorist upon the public,
but I am for giving everyone a fair trial if the evidence supports it.

I guess we'll see if the Supreme Court will support our rights or bend to political pressure.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Great news. There may be hope for our judicial system. Let's charge him, get him a good lawyer. and properly convict him in accordance with our cherished principle of due process and a fair trial. It's time we stopped acting like some Communist police state and started being America again.

As this case shown just how anti-american and anti-constitution Bush is what makes you think he'll comply as the consititutional law calls for? He controls all the enforcement arms of the federal governement.

Hopefully you are wrong.

At the very least Bush will seek a stay while he launches yet another appeal, but final one, to the supreme court which will be defacto obstruction.

No, it is called using the legal system. I would seriously doubt he would ignore the final decision of the Supreme Court.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: wirelessenabled
About time the courts stepped up to the plate.

In my lexicon a country where the President determines who is guilty or not, and who is put in jail with no charges, no counsel, and no appeal, is called a dictatorship.

What do you Bush supporters call it?

I think the neo-cons call that heaven.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: JackStorm
Good to see there are still some sane people in possition of power that value peoples rights. I've found it quite disturbing how the government has been detaining people indefinitely without trial. Glad to see there's still hope for the justice system.

It's got a long way to go to get back to any sign of saneness.

Don't think it will happen though, we are heading towards Marshall Law.
Who the hell is Marshall Law? If you're going to be an alarmist, Dave, at least learn the lingo.

kandarp

Platinum Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

Hopefully you are wrong.

No, it is called using the legal system. I would seriously doubt he would ignore the final decision of the Supreme Court.

<sarcasm>
Bahhhhhhh Humbug, we should have had Estrada on the bench, not only would he have thrown out the case but overturned Roe, Brown and the Michigan case all at the same time......now that is what i call saving the taxpayers money....why bother with separate cases and all the paperwork, time and judicial oversight, just knock them down then bring Strom Thurmond back and lets elect ourselves a segragationist baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
</sarcasm>