Breaking Bad...The premise makes no sense

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
If I assume he's underpaid, assume his wife lost her job, assume he has shit health insurance, assume...assume...assume.

Then it makes sense. However, those are a lot of assumptions that need to be made for the premise of the show to make sense, and the way that people seem to get all orgasmic when they talk about the show, I just would have expected it to be a bit better written.

All of these things were confirmed at the very start of the show. And when you take into account he lives in NEW MEXICO, not California, as a school teacher, this isn't hard to believe.

Of course, being from ATOT, base salary job for a nose picker is six figures.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
All of these things were confirmed at the very start of the show. And when you take into account he lives in NEW MEXICO, not California, as a school teacher, this isn't hard to believe.

Of course, being from ATOT, base salary job for a nose picker is six figures.

lolollolool I love it so much.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Best show on tv. I think your reasoning is stupid. Most teachers don't get paid shit. Plus he wants to save up for cancer. How is that complicated?

Also, I can't stand his wife too. But that's her roll in the show.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Calls Breaking Bad unrealistic?
Ding+ding_ca72ec_4207286.png

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I call bullshit.

My wife's school's payscale tops out at nearly $90k for certificated teachers with a masters (I believe it's 20 years,) and that's at a fairly small school district in Central California. Her health insurance is also very good (though it is expensive.))

There are some college professors in this country that don't make $90k. Your initial assumption is unreasonable.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
show is about drugs or something isn't it? I guess that's why people think it's cool.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Best show on tv. I think your reasoning is stupid. Most teachers don't get paid shit. Plus he wants to save up for cancer. How is that complicated?

Also, I can't stand his wife too. But that's her roll in the show.

130464-612x612-1.png

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
teacher salaries vary widely from region to region... they can cap out at like $100k in Jersey, but half that in poor states.

I always just assumed that he had crappy insurance and all the treatment wouldn't have been covered.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I call bullshit.

My wife's school's payscale tops out at nearly $90k for certificated teachers with a masters (I believe it's 20 years,) and that's at a fairly small school district in Central California

Your bullshit call is bullshit. CA = high cost of living.

My mom retired after 33 years of teaching, with a masters, and was making around $60k her last few years (2006ish).

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
It was explained that he makes 45K/yr and is grossly underpaid and that his wife helped them pay for their house when she was a successful accountant. Now she's not working anymore and 45K + savings only goes so far, especially when you know you have cancer and your kids won't have shit after you die. It's actually a pretty easy moral dilemma to follow.

Sounds like the OP wasn't paying attention at all!