Break on through to the other side...

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
What's the freaking song about? We can't tell. This is a 5 man debate here...

:music:
You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side
Break on through to the other side, yeah

We chased our pleasures here
Dug our treasures there
But can you still recall
The time we cried

Yeah!
C'mon, yeah

Everybody loves my baby
Everybody loves my baby
She get(s high)
She get(s high)
She get(s high)
She get(s high)

I found an island in your arms
Country in your eyes
Arms that chain
Eyes that lie
Break on through, oww!
Oh, yeah!

Made the scene
Week to week
Day to day
Hour to hour
The gate is straight
Deep and wide
Break on through
Break on through
Break on through
Break on through
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
:music:

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: OdiN
The fence. Because it's always greener over there.

Did you know that used to be in my sig? "The grass is always greener on the other side because there is more shit fertilizing it?" Was that what you were referencing?

I'm looking at the lyrics and I'm clueless...

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MrLee

Did you know that used to be in my sig? "The grass is always greener on the other side because there is more shit fertilizing it?" Was that what you were referencing?

That is sig worthy, at least the last part anyway. :p

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
My intepretation is it has to do with drugs and "breaking through" to the other side of consciousness while under the influence (say of mushrooms, peyote, acid) of them. If you read any Jim Morrison biography it fits within his philosophies.

Also related, The Doors got their name from a line from the title of a book by Huxley (in turn borrowed from a line by a William Blake). "If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is: infinite." Huxley was a big fan of LSD.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Yes. I have always made sure to make note of your super important signatures and catalog them for future reference. Your nonsensical aphorisms bring light to my otherwise dreary existence.

:roll:

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
All of the Doors songs are about drugs, just like all of Tool's songs are about deviant sex.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Modeps
All of the Doors songs are about drugs, just like all of Tool's songs are about deviant sex.

Yep. Other side of consciousness. Damn that word is hard to spell.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it is about pickle related items

it means

"break on through to the other side.... of the pickle patch" :music:

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: FoBoT
it is about pickle related items

it means

"break on through to the other side.... of the pickle patch" :music:

No, no, no...It's an ad for Vlasic pickles. They will break if you bend them, whereas other cheaper pickles just bend. So break on through to the great taste of Vlasic pickles.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
You are trying to analyze lyrics from Jim Morrison?? He was probably high on PCP, acid and ecstasy when he wrote it. Come on man...you'd be better off searching for a cure for cancer.

Watch The Doors movie and then maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from. And probably be even more confused about wtf Jim Morrison was talking about.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Modeps

Unpossible!

LOL. It always amazed me how some pretty tame cusswords get bleeped out on the radio, but Tool songs are played in their entirety......

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

Yes. I have always made sure to make note of your super important signatures and catalog them for future reference. Your nonsensical aphorisms bring light to my otherwise dreary existence.

:roll:

I knew it.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: clamum
My intepretation is it has to do with drugs and "breaking through" to the other side of consciousness while under the influence (say of mushrooms, peyote, acid) of them. If you read any Jim Morrison biography it fits within his philosophies.

Also related, The Doors got their name from a line from the title of a book by Huxley (in turn borrowed from a line by a William Blake). "If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is: infinite." Huxley was a big fan of LSD.

thats the way I always saw it. Plus a lot of his stuff is often poetic without any discernable meaning.