Brave Browser?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Have any of you used Brave Browser for Android before? Is it safe?

I have a Tivo Stream 4K, and was wanting to add a browser to it. Brave does not show up when I go to Google Play on the device, but I see some apk's to sideload it.

I'm just wondering how safe it is, since it doesn't seem to show up on Google Play when looking for it on the device....

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Brave has been around for a good while now. I have never tried it though. It's probably as safe as any other browser out there. I think they all collect data on their users. It's why I use naked browser but it doesn't work with several sites I occasionally visit.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Braves pretty good. Has built in privacy. I've switched to Firefox across my devices but before that I used Brave and that worked well.

I only switched just as a general move I'm trying to do to open source software where it's available.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wonder why it doesn't show up in the Google Play store?

Maybe your device is somehow not compatible, so it doesn't show in search results? I think my last factory reset of Android (12 IIRC) was mid last year and I didn't have any trouble installing Brave then. What happens if you try to open that link on your Android device (normally I'd expect to see a redirect to the play store app)?

---

I use two browsers on Android: Brave and Firefox. I use Brave as a general-purpose browser and Firefox if I want to access stuff in my Firefox account (saved passwords/bookmarks), sync'd with my desktop. Both have ad blockers installed.

Brave is another Chrome clone. I like Brave and FF because I can tell each app to fully quit, because historically with Chrome on Android I had to be sure to clear it from my 'recent apps' list otherwise it kept running with whatever cpu/battery consuming page. People say that modern Android handles scenarios like this properly so this reason may be out-of-date, but I have no reason to change back.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007

Maybe your device is somehow not compatible, so it doesn't show in search results? I think my last factory reset of Android (12 IIRC) was mid last year and I didn't have any trouble installing Brave then. What happens if you try to open that link on your Android device (normally I'd expect to see a redirect to the play store app)?

---

I use two browsers on Android: Brave and Firefox. I use Brave as a general-purpose browser and Firefox if I want to access stuff in my Firefox account (saved passwords/bookmarks), sync'd with my desktop. Both have ad blockers installed.

Brave is another Chrome clone. I like Brave and FF because I can tell each app to fully quit, because historically with Chrome on Android I had to be sure to clear it from my 'recent apps' list otherwise it kept running with whatever cpu/battery consuming page. People say that modern Android handles scenarios like this properly so this reason may be out-of-date, but I have no reason to change back.

Ah, well, it is a Tivo Stream 4k. Does Tivo get a cut of any online/streaming advertising? If so, then I guess it wouldn't be in their interest for anyone to use something that minimizes advertisements....

Reactions: mikeymikec

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Plenty of apps aren't officially compatible with my nvidia shield. You can always use alternative app stores to try an app. You might need to know which version goes with your device though which can take a little research. If I remember right apkmirror's site's FAQs can help.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
The Tivo Stream 4k has an Amlogic S905Y2 processor, so I think I have downloaded the proper apk. Now I just need to take the time to install it.