Brand new AC broke!!!

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
$1300 GE Zone PTAC. GE sucks!!! Really the first few days I've been running the AC too. On the hottest days of the year here in the NE region. If I could get another kind of AC I would but damn condo assoc limits me to the through the wall PTACs only. Takes them forever to fix too. Live on top

Thank god I have a little portable indoor unit I can stick the tubes out the window. By the time they get on my ass to remove it my PTAC should be fixed.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Nah, I have no mice. I heard it go "CLANK". Pretty sure the fan came off. I had the same exact problem with the last GE Zoneline I had.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Is it under warranty? did you pull the cover off to see if you might be able to fix it yourself?.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
why would you want ac anyway. i know it gets hot and muggy in the ne but when your turn on ac your electric bill can double. i just use fans

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You can look at it yourself. Maybe it is just the fan that needs to be retightened. If not, you would need to call in a service tech to fix it. As to why people want AC, well for the next 4 days or so, weather forecast for New York / New Jersey area is high 90° s

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
why would you want ac anyway. i know it gets hot and muggy in the ne but when your turn on ac your electric bill can double. i just use fans

Many people prefer not to be sitting in a puddle of their own sweat while a fan blows hot air on them. They work to earn a paycheck that allows them to enjoy at least some level of comfort in their lives, and part of that includes keeping their home at comfortable temperatures.

If you can't even afford to run an AC when the temps and humidity rise to an uncomfortable level you need a new job. And a shower.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002

Watched the weather report this morning, while sitting in the waiting room at the car dealership's repair shop (had to get window motor replaced :rolleyes: ), and was surprised to see that it's actually going to be hotter in some of the northeaster region (Washington DC, PA, etc), than it is here in north Texas! We've got the remnants of Alex going through, giving us some much needed rain, as well as dropping our temps into the 80's (most of June was upper 90's).

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Watched the weather report this morning, while sitting in the waiting room at the car dealership's repair shop (had to get window motor replaced :rolleyes: ), and was surprised to see that it's actually going to be hotter in some of the northeaster region (Washington DC, PA, etc), than it is here in north Texas! We've got the remnants of Alex going through, giving us some much needed rain, as well as dropping our temps into the 80's (most of June was upper 90's).

I've been to Texas when it was in the upper 90's and it felt like 70's to me. The cliche is true: it's not the heat, it's the humidity that makes it so bad. I've also been to Florida when it was upper 90's and the air was almost so thick you couldn't breathe it. I'll take the dry heat any day.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I've been to Texas when it was in the upper 90's and it felt like 70's to me. The cliche is true: it's not the heat, it's the humidity that makes it so bad. I've also been to Florida when it was upper 90's and the air was almost so thick you couldn't breathe it. I'll take the dry heat any day.

i have family in texas and new Mexico. I can deal with the really hot temps. its not that bad.

but in Northern IL if its 90 with 80% humity i hate going outside in it. you sweat and its harder to breath.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Many people prefer not to be sitting in a puddle of their own sweat while a fan blows hot air on them. They work to earn a paycheck that allows them to enjoy at least some level of comfort in their lives, and part of that includes keeping their home at comfortable temperatures.

If you can't even afford to run an AC when the temps and humidity rise to an uncomfortable level you need a new job. And a shower.

We almost got central air last year, but daddy pissed and scared the tech away. So, we get to roast in 31 C weather all this week.

I'm finding that shorts, an open window and a small fan blowing at me does pretty well.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004

This. If I come home from work and the AC doesn't have the entire house feeling chilly, I'm pissed.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
Sucks for you. It's boiling here in Toronto, but I'm freezing my ass off inside because of the AC. Won't turn it off, but will go outside to warm up.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If the unit is "Brand New,' it should still be under warranty. Get it fixed or replaced.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Sucks for you. It's boiling here in Toronto, but I'm freezing my ass off inside because of the AC. Won't turn it off, but will go outside to warm up.

I went out during lunch. It's not TOO bad because it doesn't feel too humid. Unfortunately, they say it will be super humid tomorrow, and I'll be working outside. On the otherhand, I'll be working in streams, so falling in just might feel good for once.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006

Fans can work pretty well in the NE, but some days it's just not enough. I managed w/ fans until this week when I put in the AC, just in the bedroom though as you are right the bill does get ridiculous. :eek:

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
many people prefer not to be sitting in a puddle of their own sweat while a fan blows hot air on them. They work to earn a paycheck that allows them to enjoy at least some level of comfort in their lives, and part of that includes keeping their home at comfortable temperatures.

If you can't even afford to run an ac when the temps and humidity rise to an uncomfortable level you need a new job. And a shower.

maybe you should lose some weight, that way you wouldnt sweat so much and you wouldnt need ac. You might even be able to go out and enjoy warm weather instead of feeding your fat face in front of your tv

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
maybe you should lose some weight, that way you wouldnt sweat so much and you wouldnt need ac. You might even be able to go out and enjoy warm weather instead of feeding your fat face in front of your tv

While there is some truth that in general climate control can add to obesity problems it sucks being miserable. I routinely walk 9 holes in the FL summer and work in a non AC warehouse as well but still I'm not acclimated enough to sleep in the humidity here. I keep my AC at 79-80 so the bill won't get too outrageous but hell if I'm gonna wake up 3 times a night covered in sweat, F-that.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
No I can't fix it myself. It's a 200lb+ PTAC, the kind that goes through the wall and fits in a sleeve. It's an AC/Heat Pump. I need someone who's familiar with GE's commercial AC units. I already contacted GE (well, their computer service apt system anyways) and someone will be by on Thurs morn to take a look. Unfortunately it will be 97F+ and 70% humidity here tomorrow.:(
The little portable AC I have (the ones you stick the tube out the window) is barely making a dent in my top floor apt.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

Quit trying to force your stinky morals on me, I'm not buying it. I enjoy a good sweat same as the next person when I am hiking, working out or just tending the yard, but when I come home I want a shower and chilly 67 degrees. When the humidity goes up outside, the AC goes on inside. It's like jumping from the sauna into the pool, and it feels great.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

Usually the entire state is humid (except for maybe west texas). It's more humid at the coast obviously, but it's still humid. You've must've been there during an unusually dry time.

Then again, who are we kidding? It's consistently humid EVERYWHERE. But texas heat sure as hell isn't dry heat.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Current forecast for suburban Boston tomorrow:

99F/Humid 70%+. Suck it Florida!!! (I wish I had my AC now).:(

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
Toronto is supposed to be 42C/108F with the humidex tomorrow. I figure I can get an hour of tanning outside before my balls get too sweaty.