Brand names.. does it matter?

wyrd

Oct 8, 2004
I was going to purchase my system this evening on newegg, and just realized that the eVGA Geforce 6800 128mb video card was sold out.

http://www.newegg.com/app/View...=14-130-202&depa=0

I was wondering if brand mattered at all? Because there's a Leadtek that's available for the same price, and in stock:

http://www.newegg.com/app/View...=14-122-193&depa=0

Just order the Leadtek or wait? I've been out of the computer arena for 4 years and am not familiar with either brand. :) Thanks for your input. BTW, if anyone has either brand, feel free to give me your input. :) Thanks again.

bim27142

Oct 6, 2004
yes, brand names do matter for me... well at least not to the very critical extent but yes it does matter... brand names become good brand names because people seem to dig them, most probably because they find something good with that specific brand(quality/reliability/money value)... a good example is ASUS over, say, ECS... of course, most people tend to dig ASUS over ECS because of their reputation for producing reliable/stable components but also relatively more expensive... and also, ASUS is well known for their brilliant R&D engineers.... so i guess their goes the price people pay...

in your case, i believe Leadtek also has a decent reputation in the market today...

hope this helps... :)

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
As far as I know, nVidia sells the cores and card spec reference to manufacturers (Asus, Leadtek, Abit, etc.), and they then make the card as they see fit. Therefore, one manufacturer might do a better job than another.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
for things like video cards..... who cares.. brand name IMO barely matters.
the only time I would not order, is if the company is KNOWN to suck.. otherwise, brand is irrelevant.

things like CPU.. yes, brand matters :p

wyrd

Oct 8, 2004
Anyone else want to comment on the BFG? Should I get that instead if it's in stock?
BTW if it's not in stock, and I feel the need later on, will the Leadtek overclock good? I'm assuming if the BFG isn't in stock it probably won't be for a while, especially since newegg doesn't even have it listed, and they usually have everything.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4082672

wyrd

Oct 8, 2004
Just called outpost.com, they said 1-2 week wait. Apparenlty BestBuy sells 'em too so I'll try there as well. It comes with FarCry, so even the $300 price tag at BB would be worth it, as I could care less about any of the games that come with Leadtek. $280 + $30 for FC = $310, so it's all good.

Gamerig

Oct 19, 2004
I found out the hard way when buying my 6800 Ultra. PNY was the only one available at the time.
Had freezing probs and so has a few other folks. EVGA forums had all the answers to fix Freezing and stuttering. PNY was no help. If you have probs, EVGA looks to be a sound buy IMHO.:thumbsup:

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
Yes it does matter, as far as I know, stay away from sapphire :) I got my 9800 pro from there, and thats the last card i'm ever getting from them

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: effee
Yes it does matter, as far as I know, stay away from sapphire :) I got my 9800 pro from there, and thats the last card i'm ever getting from them

my 9800 pro was also a sapphire oem. it died, and newegg replaced with a BBA full retail box :D

wyrd

Oct 8, 2004
I went ahead and ordered the Leadtek with my system. They seem to be a fairly good brand from ther responses here and other forums. Thanks for your opinions. :) If it ends up sucking I'll RMA it for an eVGA when they became available. ;)

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Leadtek is supposed to have the best image quality of all the Nvidia brands.

Gagabiji

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003

I have used only Sapphire cards in my computers and they ALL have been stable. I highly recommend them to anyone looking at a ATi core video card.

bim27142

Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: SirDude

I have used only Sapphire cards in my computers and they ALL have been stable. I highly recommend them to anyone looking at a ATi core video card.

wow, contradictories... :) anyway, im planning on over powercolor 9550 and sapphire 9550... which is which?? any suggestion guys??

by the way, this is just the budget range that i can readily afford... :)

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: bim27142

wow, contradictories... :) anyway, im planning on over powercolor 9550 and sapphire 9550... which is which?? any suggestion guys??

Get whichever is cheaper. I've used cards from both brands, and they are equally good. They're very well respected among the public as far as ATI cards go, and Sapphire is even the one who makes ATI's own cards.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

My Sapphire R9800P 128mb, 256 bit is fine. No problems.

Gagabiji

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: bim27142

Take my advice, I have more posts then him. :p