Brakes "grind" during the first few miles of driving after a cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeeg22

Feb 28, 2001
My company just gave me use of a '10 Chevy Malibu w/ ~10K miles on it. I've noticed that after starting the car, the first few times I hit the brakes there is a significant "grinding" noise coming from them. After the brakes are applied a few times, the noise disappears and the car drives normally. Is this an issue? Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

squeeg22

Feb 28, 2001
I live in Chicago, so there has been snow on the ground all winter. The noise will be present even if I let the car sit for only 2-3 hours. Could the water/humidity cause this problem, even in such a short duration?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
My Maxima does this. Something to do with the ABS system, first 2 stops it does this and then goes away. Perfectly normal...in my car.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
normal, just rust and stuff on the top of the rotor which goes away once you brake because it flies off

5150MyU

Jan 16, 2011
If you are responsible for the up keep of the vehicle, you need to tell someone.
Although it is most likely normal,CYA.
BRAKE NOISE
Some brake noise is normal and differences in loading, type of driving, or driving style can make a difference in brake wear on the same make and model. Depending on weather conditions, driving patterns and the local environment, brake noise may become more or less apparent. Verify all metal-to-metal contact areas between pads, pad guides, caliper and knuckles are clean and lubricated with a thin layer of high temperature silicone grease. Brake noise is caused by a "slip-stick" vibration of brake components. While intermittent brake noise may be normal, performing 3 to 4 aggressive stops may temporarily reduce or eliminate most brake squeal. If the noise persists and is consistently occurring, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. This allows parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other. Use Silicone Brake Lubricant, ACDelco P/N 88862181 (Canadian P/N 88862496) or equivalent.
The following noises are characteristics of all braking systems and are unavoidable. They may not indicate improper operation of the brake system.
Squeak/Squeal Noise:
-Occurs with front semi-metallic brake pads at medium speeds when light to medium pressure is applied to the brake pedal.
-Occasionally a noise may occur on rear brakes during the first few stops or with cold brakes and/or high humidity.

Grinding Noise:
-Common to rear brakes and some front disc brakes during initial stops after the vehicle has been parked overnight.
-Caused by corrosion on the metal surfaces during vehicle non-use. Usually disappears after a few stops.

Groan Noise:
A groan type noise may be heard when stopping quickly or moving forward slowly from a complete stop. This is normal. On vehicles equipped with ABS, a groan or moan type noise during hard braking applications or loose gravel, wet or icy road conditions is a normal function of the ABS activation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.