~~~~ Brag & Moan ~~~~

AnandTech Moderator

Staff member
Oct 12, 1999
Continued from the previous thread.

This thread is for posting your off topic raves and rants, such as "X-company did this to me", and "Did you get?, I got mine".

Requests for deals on specific items should be posted in the ~~~~IWANNA~~~~ thread,

How-To questions in the ~~~~ How-Do-I? ~~~~ thread.

Thank you. Please enjoy yourselves here while lending a hand to your fellow forum members. :)

---

~~~~ Brag & Moan ~~~~ continued here.

Jun 25, 2002
Sort of brag: My Outpost.com/Seagate HDD rebate finally got to me. Filed in November, arrived March after two calls and two status changes.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Moan : I live in Murfreesboro, TN and am about 30 minutes from a Dell production facility. For some reason they shipped my 1905fp from Austin, TX instead of Nashville, TN even though others have said their monitors shipped from Nashville! Arrrgh!

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Last Black Friday (2004) I got in on the Maxtor hard drive... I received a postcard in about a month turning me down for the Maxtor, Inc. rebate ($30 I think). Then it showed up anyway. :)

TheCoop

Jun 29, 2002
Brag - Two weeks ago Office Depot had Phillips CDRs on sale online for $10/50 pack and a coupon code to make it buy one get one free. I chose instore pickup so I did not have to pay any shipping. I went to the store last Monday asked for my order, saleperson looks at me stupidly and calls the manager. He is too busy so he has the lady walk over to the shelves and pull me 4-50 packs of the phillips CDRs. He saw my receipt wher I alreayd paid for it and just puts them in a bag and away I go. Well.........Saturday night I get a call from Office Depot stating that they have my prder ready for pickup. I went there today, saw a different manager, he had me sign a paper stating that I received them and I walked out with 200 more for FREE. WOOHOO!

tuongo

Aug 10, 2002
MOAN / QUESTION - :frown:

I got a "nearly expired" rebate check ($35) that's worth nothing now.

So I sent in my Kingston rebate mid Nov 2004. I don't remember when they sent me the check (I think it was early/mid Feb at soonest 'cuz I remember thinking that I got all my other rebates that were sent in long before that); but they dated it 12/30/2004 (I think this is fake).

I tried to cash it two weeks ago and the bank returned it 'cuz the check says it's not valid after 2/28/05. I don't think I got enough time to cash it.

mid Nov 2004 (sent)
early/mid Jan 2005 (standard 6-8 weeks from date sent to finish "processing")
early Feb 2005 (2 weeks after "processed" - normal soonest you get rebates

so I got like 2 weeks to cash it (I wasn't even around when the check came). Normal practice is 90 days, no?

I was going to call and complain, but I don't think it'll help. What do the rebate experts here think?

harrkev

May 10, 2004
Originally posted by: TheCoop
Brag - Two weeks ago Office Depot had Phillips CDRs on sale online for $10/50 pack and a coupon code to make it buy one get one free. I chose instore pickup so I did not have to pay any shipping. I went to the store last Monday asked for my order, saleperson looks at me stupidly and calls the manager. He is too busy so he has the lady walk over to the shelves and pull me 4-50 packs of the phillips CDRs. He saw my receipt wher I alreayd paid for it and just puts them in a bag and away I go. Well.........Saturday night I get a call from Office Depot stating that they have my prder ready for pickup. I went there today, saw a different manager, he had me sign a paper stating that I received them and I walked out with 200 more for FREE. WOOHOO!
I broke in the house of this guy called "The Coop." and walked away with a free DVD player, 400 CDRs, a computer, and some jewelry. Oooops. Gotta run. Here come the cops.

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005

Yeah that's one of those instances where it's "i know a guy that...." you know, or "purely hypothetical situation here..."

hazel

May 24, 2004
Buy.com, Bait & Switch.

I got in on the deal to get Viking DDR for $16+ change after rebate the first time around. It was posted on this board. After they ran out they relisted it at the same price. A few days later they relisted it again but at a higher price after rebate. This had to be purchased by March 31 to get the rebate. After 8 days my memory had not been shipped so I wrote to customer service. They sent me a reply that they could not fulfill the orders and that I should cancel my order (they can take up to 7 days to perhaps fulfill it anyway even after you ask to cancel the order) and order again. Order again at the higher price. In short, they were shipping to people who had ordered this item after me at a higher price but never gave me notice that they coud not fulfill the order. I found this out today, the day the deal runs out. They weren't even going to give me a chance to reorder while the rebate was still good. I cancelled.

Buyer beware.

TheCoop

Jun 29, 2002
Originally posted by: OfficeLinebacker

Yeah that's one of those instances where it's "i know a guy that...." you know, or "purely hypothetical situation here..."

Are you saying this did not happen? I don't get your post!

TheCoop

Jun 29, 2002
Originally posted by: harrkev
I broke in the house of this guy called "The Coop." and walked away with a free DVD player, 400 CDRs, a computer, and some jewelry. Oooops. Gotta run. Here come the cops.

LMAO - at least they are going to good use

Garlic

Banned
Dec 28, 2004
Brag - Staples had a promo on netgear wireless items. Buy a router and get a free after rebate adapter. I chose the wireless USB adapter for the bundle. The USB adapter was $59.99 with a $60 bundle rebate. SO, I send in for the rebate as I always do. About 6 weeks later I check the status online and it showed 4 $60 rebates being valid! A few weeks later sure enough 4 $60 rebate checks show up in my mail! A profit of $180. I deposited them the next morning. It was a nice day.....this really happen and I dont care if anyone dosnt believe me.

Jul 14, 2004
MOAN

OMFG. I received an e-mail notification that one of my Staples Easy-Rebates was Invalid.

For those not aware of Staples Easy Rebates, they're supposed to submit automatically, with nothing to mail-in.

So I call their toll-free number and navigate through their voice-menu systems (twice) until I get a live-body.

She said it was invalidated because of their transition to a new system. I can understand how these new system transitions are designed to screw us out of our rebate money....

After a few more interrogations (when did you purchase the item, what was the item, do you have your receipt - Lady, I don't frickin know, it was over 2months ago....just give me the money I'm due).....she re-validated my rebate submission.

Check to arrive momentarily.

* end moan *

imported_Kane

Mar 7, 2005
MOAN! - Bought 2 Western Digital (WD800JD) 80GB SE SATA hard disk drives from Newegg.

Shipping = $21
Tech Support = $50
Selling the useless drives = $20

I WAS loyal to Western Digital but I was told that my drives were not compatible with my Abit AX8 MB so either the BIOS or it was the VIA chipset that could not detect it. My Tech support guy told me the WD800JD did not have a true SATA specs but was merely a "EIDE HDD with a SATA adapter slapped on the back."

To further MOAN about Western Digital products. My WD1200JB went down only after 4 months of use. I'll probably end up paying for shipping again after I RMA it. I'll try to get my VISA card extended warranty to cover the cost of shipping but that is wishful thinking at this point.

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
Saw a great deal on a wireless router on COMPUSA.com.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=311434&pfp=BROWSE

SOLD OUT, not available for store pick up.

How about this: if it has become impossible to buy, WHY DON'T YOU TAKE IT OFF YOUR SITE?!?!? Just want to rub it in? This kind of crap makes me hate the company.

What is it about sale products and them being out of stock? It happens in supermarkets too. It's like, "HELLO! If you offer a really good deal on something you should order extra cos you know lots of people are going to want it!" They're either being stupid or disingenuous (intentionally run out so they don't lose too much money, but now that the customer is there they'll probably buy something else).

FUCKERS!

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
moan: Leadtek took 2 months to rma my 6800 GT. I bought it in december but had to rma it. I swear the price of the card went down since my purchase and I never even got to use it. Would have taken longer, but yesterday I threatened to report them to the BBB and today they gave me a tracking number. Go figure.

jaarjaar

Jan 28, 2004
I bought a Dell 600m on one of the recent deals and it arrived with a CLICKING hard drive! - right out of the box! I call them back and tell them I would like a new hard drive to replace it, and they tell me they cannot do it!!!! And that after being transferred seven times over four phone calls (the seem to be using VoIP to India - and the call quality was like calling timbuktu with calls dropping all the time)

So now I am stuck with a defective laptop that I got a great deal on that I either need to return and go with no laptop at all, or take their offer of a refurbished drive to replace this one!

ARRRGH!

I am going to return it - since I cannot spend all this money and get a hard drive that is at the end of its life.. This probably means that they are using refurb drives in their "NEW" laptops.. If that is true - this is probably material for a class action lawsuit!

Great prices - until you realize you paid for crap hardware with even more crap support.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Stopped in Office Depot to look for some dvd-r's, and there was a celly 2ghz system w/ monitor and printer for $100. Sold as is due to bad power supply. Snatched it up, threw in a power supply i had laying around the house, and it's running along smoothly. Also picked up a brand new 19" LCD w/ dvi for $250, and a hp camera/photo printer combo for $75. Great day all around. Picked up the DVD-r's too - 15 for $3.04

Text

wchou

Banned
Dec 1, 2004
SHOP4TECH IS BEGINNING TO SUCK, JERKING PRICE UP AND DOWN LIKE A YO-YO EFECTS.. NOT FUNNY.. ALSO,
EASTER10 COUPON IS ALREADY EXPIRED WHICH ISN'T SUPPOSE TO BE UNTIL THE 20TH OF APRIL.
WTF ARE THEY TRYING PULL HERE???

I'D SHOP ELSEWHERE... SCREW THEM... THEY HAVE LOST A VALUABLE CUSTOMER

Super56K

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2004
I just received my canceled copy of Unreal Championship 2 for xbox today from Walmart.com. Billed me the cheap pre-order price of $24.17 shipped. I have no idea why I have it. Checked online and it still says canceled back from 11/08/04, and has no records of a copy being shipped out to me. Kind of strange, but that's cool with me.

TWills

Jan 31, 2005
Moan- Computer Disk Service sold me a crappy HD, then I RMA'd and got another, worse HD. RMA'd a third time and didn't get anything back at all. (The customer service rep's name is Minnie :) )

uwannawhat

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Super56K
I just received my canceled copy of Unreal Championship 2 for xbox today from Walmart.com. Billed me the cheap pre-order price of $24.17 shipped. I have no idea why I have it. Checked online and it still says canceled back from 11/08/04, and has no records of a copy being shipped out to me. Kind of strange, but that's cool with me.

Same here. Just got my mail & I can't even remember ordering this?

Weird for sure. ;)

W00TSAUCE

Apr 19, 2005
BRAG- W00T!!! I went to fry's and was looking at some sony headphones, I was thinking they're pretty nice, but the pricetag. 50 Bucks!! Then I spotted the headphones right next to them. Same exact model, except 19.99. WTF? So I took it to the register and it rang up for 50 bucks. but the little sticker said 19.99 so they gave me back 30 bucks. BOOYAH!!

Katana

Jan 8, 2001
I also just received the cancelled UC2 from Walmart, and to think I almost bought it at Fry's over the weekend for $32.99.

unclebabar

Jun 16, 2002
Originally posted by: wchou
SHOP4TECH IS BEGINNING TO SUCK, JERKING PRICE UP AND DOWN LIKE A YO-YO EFECTS.. NOT FUNNY.. ALSO,
EASTER10 COUPON IS ALREADY EXPIRED WHICH ISN'T SUPPOSE TO BE UNTIL THE 20TH OF APRIL.
WTF ARE THEY TRYING PULL HERE???

I'D SHOP ELSEWHERE... SCREW THEM... THEY HAVE LOST A VALUABLE CUSTOMER

THis year, Easter was like March 27.