~~~~ Brag & Moan ~~~~

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Brag and Moan

I submitted a $30 rebate for my Netgear CF Wifi Card MA701 that I bought from CC a few months ago and I recently go it returned to me stating that it had the wrong addressee. After checking the rebate form and my envelope I didn't see anything different than what was on the rebate form. I went to CC today and explained the situation with them. They lady double checked everything and said that she didn't know what was the problem, she then said "here, let me make this easy for you.", and proceeded to hand me $30 in cash. :)

overclock

Apr 28, 2001
Yesterday I went to Best Buy to pal around while the power came back up in the shopping center (there was a mysterious power outage and Best Buy came back up first). There was a Pioneer A06 Retail open box for $260 (the original price was $280). This week the price of the same unopened box drive is going for $230 with a $30 rebate. I asked how much the open box would be considering the new price and the manager marked it down to $190 and the $30 rebate printed out. So $160 for a retail Pioneer A06 is pretty good. Everything was in the box: screws, software, unopened blank discs, the drive itself. The drive was removed from the plastic but everything appears fine. Any particular way I should test it?

Edit:
UPDATE - I installed it finally last night and burned a DVD-R backup of Harry Potter. Worked great, no problems. What a steal!

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
I'm getting a little worried about newegg. I am seeing alot of people talking about getting bad parts, then the RMA service being super slow etc.

I just sent an Antec 430 W truepower back (cost me 16$ to ship it) that they sent to me DOA, and it has been sitting there for a week and they havent updated RMA status.

The thing that really bothers me is that they are not returning my e-mails (which were very polite)

I'm not on a newegg crusade, but I think people should check their fanboism, and be careful. Newegg has been great in the past but that doesnt mean that cant change. I am getting worried that they are going downhill.

luddy1

Feb 16, 2001
MOAN:: Newegg.com sells refurbs as new or sells defective as new not sure which.

I swear these guys rip you off. I am 3 weeks now and still don't have replacement for my Antec 350W Power supply.

I ordered an Antec 350SL from these clowns. $45 + $6 s/h.
Great price now I know why.
First unit DOA and looked opened, tape with cardboard stuck to it keeping package inside shut.
Returned they pd return cost
Next unit I got today.
Lead to Motherboard actually stuck inside the unit itself! It came out went back in and I could see connector inside with no way to get it out. Package-shrink wrap on outside of box half ripped off and it felt like rewrapped.
They are paying return shipping.

Basically 3 weeks and still no PSU.
Out $6 for original S/H.

Now ordered from buy.com for $51 + $8 S/H. At least buy.com is cool!

Never again am I ordering from newegg.com....be warned.

r01axb

Mar 11, 2003
AMAZON IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, I ordered A HARD DRIVE yesterday from Amazon at 1 pm and it arrived today at 10 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Maxtor L01J030 30 GB Hard Driv $66.99 1 $66.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $66.99
Shipping & Handling: $5.58

Super Saver Discount: -$5.58

Promotional Certificate: - $30.30

Total: $36.69

Paid by Visa: $36.69

I really don't need a big drive, and I don't like rebates, this was a really good deal, I checked ebay and they mostly have used drives, they had 20 gb hard drives selling for $40-50 plus shipping on top of that, I got a brand new 30gb drive for 36.69 shipped in 21 hours! no need to worry about any rebates, I was surprised that it shipped so fast, I choose free shipping, next to it it said might take up to 14 days, I got $30.00 off by signing up for their no fee credit card.

Free 21 hour shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is how the internet should be, you click order and the next day it's at your door.

Jazon

Feb 6, 2001
I bought a used MS FF Sidewider 1.0 at the local goodwill store for a $1. It didn't come with the AC adapter. I called Microsoft to find out where I can get an replacement. The lady I talked to said, "We will send one out to you". Today, I received a brand new MS FF Sidwinder 2! Free of charge...!

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
WTH?! I just type everything and I hit ESC and all disappear? This suxes...
I'm too tired to say anything at the moment, gnite ^

burningcloud

Sep 15, 2003
Ok the title might be misleading but the YMMV says it all!!!

Wife threw a hissy fit when I ordered the server for 470$ (including the 100 mail in rebate), I guess she couldnt understand that the P4 3.2 chip is well worth over 600 Dollars.

Anyway I finally caved in and told her that I have decided to return the shipment, so called Dell today (Meanwhile the Server has already reached my humble abode).

I told the CR that I have received the Server but would like to cancel the order and asked him to process the return.

He said no probs, started the return process and then came back and told me that he would be willing to give me a 200 Dollar credit if I could find a home for the poor server.

I fainted!

When I came about, he was still on the line, patiently waiting, and I asked him whether he understands that this would bring the price down to 270 Dollars after the 100 mail in rebate. He said Yes! I fainted again.

Then I asked him whether this 200 Dollar credit would hurt the 100 mail in rebate in any way. He said nope and gave me a case number before I had a chance to faint again.

So I have a PowerEdge SC server for 270 Dollars waiting for me back at home. And as for my wife, its her choice whether to stay or not. But the server stays

Try your luck.. YMMV

---
:D

mbackof

Sep 10, 2003
BRAG

I got a NEC 1760NXBK-1 FP for $398 delivered at dell.com

I thought that was pretty good...

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
went to compusa to get the Battlefield 1942 deal for only 19.99 i was waiting so long and they had so much trouble telling me what the actual price was, the woman who checked me out took another 4 bucks off!

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Why is everything that involves a rebate a hotdeal?
I just dont' get it you know, if you put 2 and 2 together, what do you get?
1.sales promotion often does not come cheap as they have to pay advertising fee as well.
2.see how well it sell at a lower price
3.will deny some people to meet their quota :) this one, you maybe the unlucky one, be very weary of it. heeee...
4.often claiming bankruptcy as a way to keep people from questioning their legitibility (most would just forget it when this happen)

Dragon365

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: PatboyX
went to compusa to get the Battlefield 1942 deal for only 19.99 i was waiting so long and they had so much trouble telling me what the actual price was, the woman who checked me out took another 4 bucks off!

Yep, compusa is stupid like that. Just today I went in there to spend a $50 gc that I had, and they didn't have much of anything i wanted (postal 2 was banned :)). I ended up choosing Medal of Honor and Vietcong, which would have maxed out the gift card. At the register, MOH turns up as $30 when it said $20 at the display. After a long debate about that, i end up getting both games for $16 each! Vietcong was $30 too, that was sweet, and now I have a little money to burn.

Shaka

Oct 13, 1999
QUERY: Fuji Finepix 2650 open box display model for $128? Will have the 1 yr manufacturer warranty, and I can tack on a $20 2yr replacement warranty from Staples... should I get it? I already have an HP digicam... but it kinda sucks.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Brag: Got my free gift from Microsoft and Siebel for doing nothing. It includes a tiny usb optical mouse, usb extension cord, 64mb usb hard drive, earbuds, a carrying case, and a thing to wear something around my neck.

sweet!

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Moan; Help!

This site thinks I've already used this coupon code when I haven't! I think it's because I tried to apply it and there was an error with my credit card info. Then when I corrected the problem and tried again, it wouldn't (won't) let me use it. I used the "delete files" from Internet Explorer options and also the "delete cookies" but neither worked. Any ideas?

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Never mind, it did take and I couldn't tell.
rolleye.gif
Sorry.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Moan: I tried to get CC to pricematch an Audigy 2 from BB, but apparantly they don't let you do that when the PM store is OOS of the item. :| Gonna try to get one from a store about 170 miles away. I'm just curious as to whether or not they'll PM the item if you bring in the actual item you bought from the other store along with the receipt.

Brag: Went to the local thrift store and found a perfectly good 13" monitor for $5. It only had a 9-pin connector (well, 15 pin with only 9 pins in it) and it can only handle 800x600 and lower at no greater than 60 Hz, but for $5 I'm not complaining at all. Gives me something I can throw on my server. ^_^

richd111

Dec 18, 2001
Went to home depot today to get the top of the line Dremel set for 99.00. Had a 10% off Lowes coupon. Expected to walk out the door for around 90 b4 tax. I give the guy the coupon, and he scans the box, and then enters the coupon, and it comes up correctly for about 90. He looks confused and goes and gets a co-worker. He asks her about the coupon, there's jabbering about meet and beat, and they start punching buttons left and right. Before you know it, I walk out the door for 81 b4 tax. I was so confused that I didn't figure it out until later. They did a meet and beat pricematch down to 90, and THEN applied the 10% off Lowes coupon. Lowes doesn't even sell this model!

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Brag:

I got a free 6-foot long black leather whip today in the mail from some outfit named Maritz. I don't even remember signing up for anything like this. It's a company that does promotional fullfilments and it's part of their "running fullfillments is like running a three ring circus" promo. They also included two tiny little plastic figures, one is a camel and the other one a black lion. Goofy but fun. :D

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I just got the suckiest newegg refurb ever. The thing gave me checkerboard blue spots on startup and just got worse from there. Doesnt even give me a display anymore. Jeez i understand that it is a refurb and there could be problems but no one must have even checked to see if this thing worked. Just shiped it out to me for 125 bucks. i really hope they dont make me pay shipping to send that pos back, but im sure they will.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Moan

I just ordered some memory and a fan controller from NewEgg. I live in New Jersey and they still shipped it from Cali (even though they have a New Jersey Warehouse). Why am I paying taxes on items that are not being shipped from New Jersey? GRRRR

Any comfort would be great ;-)

Bill

KaGee

Nov 30, 2002
Originally posted by: aRCeNiTe
Moan

I just ordered some memory and a fan controller from NewEgg. I live in New Jersey and they still shipped it from Cali (even though they have a New Jersey Warehouse). Why am I paying taxes on items that are not being shipped from New Jersey? GRRRR

Any comfort would be great ;-)

Bill

:brokenheart: Poor Bill , I feel your pain bro.

Whenever a company sets up shop within a state, that gives that state the right to ask for sales tax on items shipped to that state, regardless of shipping point.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
I've never really liked the customer service at my local CompUSA, so I started shopping at a different store. I bought a clearance Sony 17" CRT monitor for $99 last Monday. I got it home and discovered a screen burn-in image. (The AOL logo!).

I returned it, and the manager approved the substitution of a Viewsonic A70f+, (new in the box), as a replacement, since the Sony's are no longer in stock. I was very pleased, and also surprised to find that I am eligible for a $30 rebate.