BP is burning recovered oil ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It is people like you that allow things like this to happen in the first place. Some of us actually care what happens while others like you don't give a damn as long as someone else has to deal with it.
One of the things I learned as I've matured was that there are many things in this world outside of my control. I can go about my business, or I can obsess about them.

I can't change what has already happened and I cannot effect how the problem is being dealt with. If you're serious about this, do something about it. Get on the phone to your representatives, call the White House, picket in front of BP headquarters, call the local news, whatever. Posting here isn't going to accomplish one damned thing. Blaming me for it is misguided and non-productive.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I live near a refinery and they are always burning something. On some overcast nights with a strong wind they burn even more stuff off because they know the wind will carry it away and it is so overcast most people will not know that.

Ah the flares. Flares are usually a last resort btw. Most likely something went down that left to much excess product in the pipes and was going to be a bigger problem if they didn't relieve it. I'm not 100% sure on this cause it's been a few years, but the first initial 30 seconds or so the flare goes off costs them 100,000 dollars. Then it goes like for every second after is so many thousands of dollars, somewhere around 10-15k. Then again fines are all based off what is actually burning and they have sensors to detect whatever it is, Cal/EPA doesn't fuck around with the refineries here.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It's a lose-lose situation. If they recovered the oil and sold it, people would probably complain that they're making some money off the disaster.