Boycot Springsteen!

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Man! When will these freaks shut up? And here I thought the song was called "Born in the USA", might as well be "Born in the France".

The up side is that Clear Channel can still ban him. Someone better let O'Really know also.

<snip>
"The pressure coming from the government and big business to enforce conformity of thought concerning the war and politics goes against everything that this country is about - namely freedom. Right now, we are supposedly fighting to create freedom in Iraq, at the same time that some are trying to intimidate and punish people for using that same freedom here at home,"
<snip>
rolleye.gif

<--- sarcastic

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Bruce is the Man. Of course I expect hysterical ninnies to get upset with what he said.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Bruce is the Man. Of course I expect hysterical ninnies to get upset with what he said.

What is there to get upset about? If people are getting upset, it would just proove his point.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My God, thera, you are a freak and an unAmerican one too. Who formed your thinking, the Soviet Union or China?

Edit, By the way everybody knows you're wrong.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

What is there to get upset about? If people are getting upset, it would just proove his point.
That's also what would qualify them as "hysterical ninnies".

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Makes me proud to have a Born in the USA CD in my storage rack. I think I'll listen to it for awhile. :)

J Heartless Slick

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Thera
Man! When will these freaks shut up? And here I thought the song was called "Born in the USA", might as well be "Born in the France".

The up side is that Clear Channel can still ban him. Someone better let O'Really know also.

<snip>
"The pressure coming from the government and big business to enforce conformity of thought concerning the war and politics goes against everything that this country is about - namely freedom. Right now, we are supposedly fighting to create freedom in Iraq, at the same time that some are trying to intimidate and punish people for using that same freedom here at home,"
<snip>
rolleye.gif

Why does this statement bother you?

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
So is your understanding of the vital nature of dissent.

Damn, that's the second time this year I've agreed with you. I must be slipping over to the Dark Side. :D

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
To me, they're terrific American artists expressing American values by using their American right to free speech. For them to be banished wholesale from radio stations, and even entire radio networks, for speaking out is un-American.

Damn fvcking straight.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
To me, they're terrific American artists expressing American values by using their American right to free speech. For them to be banished wholesale from radio stations, and even entire radio networks, for speaking out is un-American.

Damn fvcking straight.

Exactly. Let's just hope he doen't recant a la Dixie Chicks after facing death threats and various other forms of abuse.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Listening to the hysterical "celebrities" pleading against the masses not to boycott their insignificant wares because of a difference of opinion, one almost gets the impression these so-called "celebrities" are simply intolerant of someone else's freedoms to choose what is or what is not deserving of their patronage.

When these so-called "celebrities" are at risk of imprisonment for voicing their opinions instead of simply damaging slightly their ability to purchase another lavish vacation home in the Hamptons, then and only then will their whining be considered anything other than trivial by moi.

"raw deal" my ass. Publically insulting a popular President will offend a large segment of their target audience. "Freedom" is a two way street. The Dixie Chicks have the freedom to piss off a bunch of fans, their fans and broadcasters also have the right to voice their opinions with their wallets.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
The Dixie Chicks have the freedom to piss off a bunch of fans, their fans and broadcasters also have the right to voice their opinions with their wallets.
Obviously their fan base is made up of moronic individuals who subscribe to knee jerk reactions when an artist expresses an opinion they may not share.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
So is your understanding of the vital nature of dissent.

I was attempting to playfully mock the hardline right bellyaching, as displayed in this forum, with regard to the outspoken nature of the Dixie Chicks. Clasp that with the irony of using a drive-by symbol of Americanism (The Boss), and you have a post overflowing with opposites.

My mistake... Lesson learned. :)

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Listening to the hysterical "celebrities" pleading against the masses not to boycott their insignificant wares because of a difference of opinion, one almost gets the impression these so-called "celebrities" are simply intolerant of someone else's freedoms to choose what is or what is not deserving of their patronage.

Same intolerance seems to be present in this thread.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Obviously their fan base is made up of moronic individuals who subscribe to knee jerk reactions when an artist expresses an opinion they may not share.

Why? Why exactly does a fan exercising their rights and voicing their opinions constitute a "knee jerk reaction", and since when does exercising ones right make someone a "moron"?

Death threats against the Dixie Chicks? That's a knee jerk reaction by a moron. Not purchasing a Dixie Chicks CD? That's simply good economic policy.

Really, why is someone a moron if they don't mindlessly fork over their hard earned money to line the pockets of someone that has offended their sensibilities? I would say the contrary is moronic, indeed.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Maybe the mistake was mine, thera. Many sorries. I am very stupid and thought you were seriously calling somebody a freak. I don't think much of name calling so I named call to see how you like it. Please don't let an idiot like me ruin your fun. I love sarcasm even if I don't always get it. :D And besides I should have remembered where you usually stand.

Somebody should shoot Corn for his stupid opinion though.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Thera

<snip>
<snip>
rolleye.gif

<--- sarcastic

Screw that! Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
The Dixie Chicks have the freedom to piss off a bunch of fans, their fans and broadcasters also have the right to voice their opinions with their wallets.

And the Dixie Chicks are moronic individuals who didn't have the vision to see that not all of their fans would agree with their opinions, and therefore would decide not to purchase their art, which is more or less an expression of their opinion. Madonna also comes to mind, but at least she had the vision to see that her expressions would turn off some of her fans.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Somebody should shoot Corn for his stupid opinion though.

Given you lib's penchant for violence in voicing your opinions, this almost concerns me.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I knew his career had pretty much dried up, this really the only way he can get attention? sad....

Should we consult Blink182 on the Israel affair next?

I have not seen anyone forced to change their stance, I don't see anyone being reprogrammed or brainwashed. The fact remains Bruce the majority of the American people were behind this action. Your right to spew your minority opinion has been upheld, as everything that this country is about gurantess this right. Sounds more like sour grapes that his view is the minority.

The pressure coming from the recording and entertainment industry goes against everything this country stands for. They feel their opinion is the only right one and should be given exclusive coverage....

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hehe, I know you must be worried.

I was though, seriously thinking about your point that threatening life isn't like threatening not to buy. Do we live in a society that requires money to live properly, and if so should anybody have the power to derermine if we can earn a living based on what we believe. Not suggesting here that Springsteen couldn't maybe find work as a ditch digger, but more generally where are we heading. Are we headed to an income based on belief? What's the diff between not buying somebodies product cause you don't like them and telling others to do the same, or spending billions to ruin somebodies reputation?