Box spring vs. platform beds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Good box spring and mattress combos are good. But I find you really have to get really nice expensive ones to be decent, but they seem less forgiving for differences in mattress preferences. My wife and I could never agree on what was comfortable. If I liked it, she didn't, and if she liked it, I didn't.

Finally we went with platform and Tempur-Pedic mattresses (medium firm ones), and it seems to satisfy both of us.

I really don't like those inexpensive mail-order memory foam mattresses that come in a box vacuum packed, and then open up to form after exposure to air with the packaging removed. The memory foam density just isn't enough. They don't provide enough support for us (and I'm only 155 lbs). The Tempur mattresses are much more dense, and consequently much, much heavier, so presumably they can't be shipped that way. There are some competing brands but I've been told their longevity isn't as long. For example, the Sealy Optimum ones reportedly sag earlier. I also don't like the gel variants.

BTW, I was shocked at just how crappy the Tempur platforms are. They are wood-framed, but topped with a flat surface which turns out to be essentially thick cardboard. Thus, you can't stand on the platform or you will indent it. Despite how expensive and nice their mattresses are, their platforms are crap. I just went with two layers of 2x6 planks with MDF on top, cut to size in four pieces at Home Depot. Super strong with no give at all, which is fine, since the mattress provides the give. I guess the benefit of the Tempur platforms is they are feather light, and once the mattress is on top, they will support you fine without indenting. The DIY wood + MDF solution is bomb proof, but is extremely heavy, and it actually isn't any cheaper.

Last edited: