Bought ipad on ebay, can't figure out lock code

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
If you buy OS X for Apple hardware you already have that's fine, that's the whole reason why Apple sells the software by itself. But the license says it can only be used on Apple's own hardware, so hackintoshing is a license violation and robs Apple of the hardware revenue. If they don't have a machine that doesn't meet your requirements, that's too bad but it doesn't give you the right to violate the agreement you supposedly agreed to when you bought the software.

Actually it says this: "This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time."

Apple is nice enough to give you stickers when you buy things from them. It's trivial to label your computer as an apple.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Actually it says this: "This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time."

Apple is nice enough to give you stickers when you buy things from them. It's trivial to label your computer as an apple.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't hold up in court if Apple actually decided to prosecute someone for this.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I'm also fairly sure apple would lose in court. The worst they could do is force you to remove the software from your computer.

Now if you were selling pre-installed OSX computers, they might have a case. Convincing a judge to award damages to apple when you bought software from them and put it on your own computer. I don't see that happening.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I'm also fairly sure apple would lose in court. The worst they could do is force you to remove the software from your computer.

Now if you were selling pre-installed OSX computers, they might have a case. Convincing a judge to award damages to apple when you bought software from them and put it on your own computer. I don't see that happening.

I doubt they'd get any damages too, but forcing you to remove the software would be enough of a win for them I'd think.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I doubt they'd get any damages too, but forcing you to remove the software would be enough of a win for them I'd think.

Except for the cost to them and the fact they would still need to find and sue everyone else doing it. I guess if they just wanted to try to burn some cash.

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
Tell that to all of the people running Hackintoshes and Jailbroken iPhones and discussing them here...

Well I never .....:eek:

I hope your pad is not stolen,that would suck but I are gave up on feebay years ago as there is too many d-bags out there....:thumbsdown:

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Except for the cost to them and the fact they would still need to find and sue everyone else doing it. I guess if they just wanted to try to burn some cash.

Depending on the judgment they may get court costs paid for, but yea it would be more of a "See? We told you that you can't do that" kind of thing.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
This whole discussion has gotten ridiculous. Comparing buying a copy of OSX to install on your own computer to stealing an iPad is silly.

Sloper

Dec 31, 2009
Well you still kinda are, because the iPhone is supposed to be tied to AT&T. If Apple didn't have an exclusive agreement with them you'd have a point though.

Not really. AT&T still charges the original contract owner for the plan. If the contract owner wants out, they have to pay EFT.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
This whole discussion has gotten ridiculous. Comparing buying a copy of OSX to install on your own computer to stealing an iPad is silly.
No kidding, but good for a few chuckles.

I'm wondering in the entire annals of human history has a company ever sued a customer.... for buying it's product, yet using it in a way the company doesn't like? I'd love to see this case!

And how exactly would anyone *enforce* the removal of an operating system from someone's hardware, even if one could find a judge anywhere on earth wacky enough to make such a silly ruling? I love this imaginary legal system where corporate edict rules supreme that sometimes gets conjured up in these discussions!