Bought an 89 5.0l Mustang coupe on the 1st pics

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
pics
I'll add two of the same pics from PhotoIsland since datazap seems to be slowing down to much
pic1
pic2
There are a couple more at the first link but I am to lazy to link to them all at photo island.

Its been rainy out so it kinda dirty but it still looks pretty good to me. It already has an aftermarket shifter, headers, h-pipe and dynomax mufflers, underdrive pullies, 3.73:1 gears(I think) and a few other little things I am forgetting. I paid $3500 for it and think I did pretty well compared to most of the other coupes I have seen. They are all either way over priced or a pos. This one has 133k miles on it and has a few problems cruise, the horn, a/c, and few lose interior parts but overall its a very clean car. The last owner didn't know squat so I am not totally sure what all has been done to it. I just know with the current tires 1st and 2nd are almost totally worthless :) so I think increasing traction should be my first concern. I am guessing it has 3.73 gears based on it turning 2500rpms at 75mph in 5th and my tire size is 225 60 16s which calculates out to 3.88 gears but I assume my speedo and/or tac are off a little.

It has a tacky Boss sticker on the hood that you can really make out in the pics. Don't know what I am going to do about that yet. I'll probably leave it alone unless I can find somebody with a black stang that thinks its cool :). It looks like its been on there awhile and I am affraid it will just mess things up more if I try to take it off.

And of coarse its a 5 speed if you haven't already figured that out :p.

Before someone ask the centers were stolen at some point.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
You better mod that thing up and make it uber faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssstt :)

Spac3d

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
in all seriousness, if i didn't get the GT, i would at least throw a spoiler onto that car. 93 GT 0wns me.

-=bmacd=-

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Few things:

1) Congrats, looks nice!

2) Lose the red on the hood

3) Get some centercaps for those wheels

4) there's a kit to fix the ash tray door. It costs about $10.

5) Too bad they attached tat cup holder to the dash, don't know if you can get that off of there.

6) Get a pair of BFGoodrich or Nitto drag radials for the back if you want traction :) Don't bother if it's a daily driver though, they wear out too fast.

7) You should go out and check oyur speedo against mile markers on the freeway (odometer reading should be the same as the markers on the freeway), otherwise you have no idea if the speedo is accurate or not, as you require a new speedo gear when changing rear end gears. If it hasn't been changed, the speedo will be off.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: bmacd
i would at least throw a spoiler onto that car.

Oh, and:

8) Dont do what bmacd said, spoilers are forbidden on coupes :)

:p Get one of those triple deck Saleen spoilers...that's the only way to do it!

-=bmacd=-

SlowSS

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
Awesome...Just realized that you've got lot of mods already.:)

Get it dynoed and see where you are at with respect to HP/TQ.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
i would at least throw a spoiler onto that car.

Oh, and:

8) Dont do what bmacd said, spoilers are forbidden on coupes :)

Don't worry no way in hell am I putting spoiler on it :)

I am guessing the speedo gears have been changed since 75mph felt like around 75mph, I kept up with traffic pretty much the same as I do with my turbo caravan(had to get that in here somewhere :p ) at 75mph. At some point I will check it against some mile markers though.

The cup holder comes off but for the moment I need it to hold my pop.

This is a street car so drag radials are out but some sticky summer only tires will be going on it. Right now it has some radial gt or something on it and they are worthless. I probably do some suspension/chassie and maybe brake mods before I do much more to the engine. It already has enough power for me atm anyway.

BTW were can you get new center caps and around how much do they cost?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
BTW were can you get new center caps and around how much do they cost?

ebay. And if you think your speedo is off due to a gear change, i'd recommend something like

this. It's one of the most useful things i've ever bought.

-=bmacd=-

Apr 5, 2000
For that few miles that's a sweet car. You did have it checked out by a mechanic before hand, right?

<-- is very jealous :|

Anyway, have fun with the new 'Stang!

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
are you hosting those pics yourself from a 56k modem? Geesh!

-=bmacd=-

No
Datazap just sucks. Sometimes its pretty good but it can slow down pretty quik when lots of people are hitting it.

Posted a couple pics from photoisland since datazap is getting slow but its not going all that fast either.

thanks for the compliments

jjessico

May 29, 2002
Not bad. I'm no Ford guy, but its not a bad pickup for the price I don't think. Pick up this Month's Car Craft if you need some re-assuring about why its good to buy a 5.0 Stang.

Jason