Bought a stolen bike on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliteorange

Jul 23, 2001
So turns out a bike I bought this weekend was a stolen one. At the time of the purchase the serial number was not listed on http://stolenbicycleregistry.com or Craigslist. I paid $200 to the whom i suspect is the thief.

the bike is now posted as stolen on craigslist. a reward of $200 is given.

I want to contact the owner to return the bike and get the $200 reward to cover my expenses. but how can I make sure that he just doesn't call the cop on me?

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
If you don't want that to happen, notify the authorities and tell them what you just posted here.

I paid $200 for a bike last year (there's a thread on it), and I just got my first restitution check of... $13 out of $200... woo... the guy that originally owned the bike was nice enough to give me $50, an itunes gift card, and a thank you card. It was a bike he rode with all over Hawaii apparently. Because of me, the authorities were able to catch the bike thief who stole several dozen bikes in the area.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I'd go to police first as long as you have enough documentation to pretty clearly prove that you're on the up and up. They will likely believe you anyway though but I'd try that first. Also try and nail the guy who sold it to you. Do you have enough contact info for him that you could get him? IP address (in his emails)? Phone number?

eliteorange

Jul 23, 2001
I have the Craigslist ad that the thief posted. and the call records on my cellphone. The exchange was made at a fastfood place.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
If you have a copy of the original ad, plus any email or phone call exchange than you're in the clear. Just be ready to provide it to the authorities.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
How about an email to the seller - "Hey, I just found out how much this bike is worth and feel like I ripped you off by only giving you $200. It would make my conscience feel a lot better if I paid you an extra $50."

Help the police nab the guy.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
How about an email to the seller - "Hey, I just found out how much this bike is worth and feel like I ripped you off by only giving you $200. It would make my conscience feel a lot better if I paid you an extra $50."

Help the police nab the guy.
Only a total idiot would fall for that. And so it just might work, because only a total idiot sells a stolen bike on Craigslist or is even into that!

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
yea if you have the info of the person you purchased the stolen goods from you should provide the police with the information

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
The person you bought it from is the one who listed it stolen. The cops are on their way to your house right now.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The owner sold you the bike, listed the bike on that site to be able to trick the insurance company that will pay him $300 for it now, and will pay you $200 for it back and thus profits. :p

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Unrelated but amusing real-life story. A neighbor of mine had his bike stolen from the rack downstairs from our apartments. He reported it to the police and waited a while, then figured nothing was going to come of it so he bought another bike. A few weeks later, his stolen bicycle (same serial #, etc.) was parked downstairs again with his lock on it (not locked though since they didn't actually know the combination). He called to cops to find out if he could just steal it back and they said to go for it. The bike was still in good / the same condition and had a few bonus features as well - a few bike lights were added! Free stuff!

We couldn't come up with a reasonable scenario that involved using their cable lock to fake the appearance of locking the bike. If the thief sold the bike to someone else, then what kind of idiot decides to tote the bike around with a lock they can't use? If the thief used it him/herself then what kind of idiot parks the bike at the exact spot from where it was stolen? Either way there was some idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.