Bought a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 and can't get it to work.

CurrentlyPissed

Feb 14, 2013
I'm at wits end here.

For some reason I cannot get this thing to get detected in windows boot manager for installing on a clean install as only drive.

I can see it in my bios, I can boot to it in legacy (not a bootable drive select correct drive try again error because of no OS).

But for some reason when I go to USB/UEFI Install windows, it doesn't show the 950 Pro (Windows 8 USB).

Putting back in my 840 PRO with my OS already on, I can see it in windows, I could initialize it, and set it up as GPT. Can even performance test it. But again, still can't get it detected in windows installer.

I was able to clone it with Samsung magician, but my speeds are horrendously slow for the drive (850 rear/870 write) Compared to the 2200/1500 it should be.

Using a 4690k
Corsair Vengance 16GB @ 2400mhz
MSI Gaming 5
EVGA 970 Super OC

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I think on a z97 board you will need to pre load the driver at install. Apparently some bios upgrades will sort this out for you. If not you can find the extracted driver here. I found that windows 10 crashed when I tried to pre load it during the windows 10 install but then I realised I didn't need it when using a z170 board.

What version of windows are you using?

CurrentlyPissed

Feb 14, 2013
I think on a z97 board you will need to pre load the driver at install. Apparently some bios upgrades will sort this out for you. If not you can find the extracted driver here. I found that windows 10 crashed when I tried to pre load it during the windows 10 install but then I realised I didn't need it when using a z170 board.

What version of windows are you using?

I'll try using these when I get home, I assume I'll need to use these to load during the install process of a clean install to get the drive to detect?

FWIW I do have the latest bios as well.

Would this also explain my slow speeds?

Palorim12

Jul 21, 2015
I'll try using these when I get home, I assume I'll need to use these to load during the install process of a clean install to get the drive to detect?

FWIW I do have the latest bios as well.

Would this also explain my slow speeds?

You M.2 lane only support x2 lanes. It needs to support x4 lanes to get full speed on the 950 Pro.

fvbounty

Jun 25, 2009
You might have to use a adapter card and put the 950 in it and use a Gen3 pci-e 4x slot...

CurrentlyPissed

Feb 14, 2013
You M.2 lane only support x2 lanes. It needs to support x4 lanes to get full speed on the 950 Pro.

It says in Samsung Magician it's running x2/x4 idle/max 5g/10g?

And from MSI's site.

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#hero-specification

Intel Z97 Express Chipset
- 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports (SATA1~6)
- 1x M.2 port*
- M.2 port supports M.2 SATA 6Gb/s module
- M.2 port supports M.2 PCIe module up to 10Gb/s speed**
- M.2 port supports 4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length module
- Supports RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10***
- Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology and Intel® Smart Connect Technology****

* The SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a module in the M.2 port.

** M.2 PCIe interface only supports UEFI option ROM, NOT support legacy option ROM.
*** M.2 PCIe interface does not support RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10.
**** Supports Intel Core processors on Windows 7 and Windows 8/ 8.1

Guess I am misunderstanding because here it says its PCI2.0 x2

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#hero-overview

Last edited:

CurrentlyPissed

Feb 14, 2013
You need to use one of your pci-e 16x slots with adapter card to get full speed...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Your 3 16x slots are all Gen3 and that is what you need. Here's a adapter card that will work...

http://www.amazon.com/Lycom-DT-120-..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1ST8KEPDR57Y5BXBQN0Y

Thanks, ended up going with this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YIC1956?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

since it has prime and works with the 951.