Question Bought a RTX2070 and its now getting garbage reviews need some advice.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
Im currently in a new build with NOTHING installed yet and still making some purchases. I bought the GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 on black friday and now its getting absolutely terrible reviews and I feel like I made a impulse buy. It is unopened and still within the return window. Im looking for suggestions for exchange within the same price range of $500-700 max. Im located in the US, for a gaming pc. Here is my current build with most items already purchased.
Any help / suggestions is greatly appreciated.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y8Cnq4

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
It is faster than a 1080 and the only issue is there is an unknown reason that causes some 2000 cards to randomly fail. But I don't think the issue is common enough to worry too much about it.

I would keep it and enjoy it unless you aren't satisfied with the performance.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I own an RTX 2070. Great card so far. I think most of the negative comments surrounding the RTX cards is more about pricing that the cards themselves.

Reviews are fine for helping you make a per-purchase decision, but once you own the card you should gauge your satisfaction based on your own experiences with it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
A lot of places don't allow GPUs (even unopened) to be returned. Many have a "replacement only" type warranty. Since you linked to the card at Newegg, if you bought it from there, you will be out of luck trying to return it. From your Newegg link:

Extended Holiday Replacement-Only Return Policy
We want to ensure your holiday shopping this year is hassle-free. That’s why we’re automatically extending our return policies on almost every product! For purchases placed between November 1, 2018 and December 24, 2018, you will have until January 31, 2019 to return your product. There’s nothing additional that you have to do!
  • Return for refund within: non-refundable
  • Return for replacement until: January 31, 2019
This is our Extended Holiday Replacement-Only Return Policy. Items covered by this policy must be returned to Newegg by January 31, 2019 for this policy to apply.

Reactions: JimKiler

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
It is faster than a 1080 and the only issue is there is an unknown reason that causes some 2000 cards to randomly fail. But I don't think the issue is common enough to worry too much about it.

I would keep it and enjoy it unless you aren't satisfied with the performance.

Think im just being paranoid about the build quality there is more 1-2 star reviews than all the others combined.
It's a great gaming card, why would you return it?
Again just paranoid this is a big build for me $$ wise I hate to be stuck returning a GPU over and over again.
I own an RTX 2070. Great card so far. I think most of the negative comments surrounding the RTX cards is more about pricing that the cards themselves.

Reviews are fine for helping you make a per-purchase decision, but once you own the card you should gauge your satisfaction based on your own experiences with it.
Thanks Hopefully I get it put together in the next few weeks and give some feedback.
A lot of places don't allow GPUs (even unopened) to be returned. Many have a "replacement only" type warranty. Since you linked to the card at Newegg, if you bought it from there, you will be out of luck trying to return it. From your Newegg link:
Yep looked at that now, thanks

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Oh man, I almost ALMOST bought this very same card a few weeks ago when Ebay was doing their 15% off day. In the end I wanted to play Witcher 3 and the benchmarks showed a minimum of a 1080 ti being needed for 4k 60fps so I bought a used one here off Anandtech for roughly the same price as a new 2070.

What drew me to the Gigabyte was that it has three fans, which I appreciate for noise levels under load. But the reviews after the fact have just been terrible. Space invaders is the least of your worries when one buyer reported being sent back a faulty product from Gigabyte citing "user damage" as a reason for invalidating his RMA. Cross your fingers!

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
If this was me I would return the 2070. The benefit of RTX cores is not worth it at the moment as only Battle Field has ray tracing (that iIm aware of currently). Save the cash and buy a used 1080 Ti. The whole 20XX series cards aren't worth the performance hit IMO if you're a serious gamer from having ray tracing enabled.

Reactions: gradoman

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If this was me I would return the 2070. The benefit of RTX cores is not worth it at the moment as only Battle Field has ray tracing (that iIm aware of currently). Save the cash and buy a used 1080 Ti. The whole 20XX series cards aren't worth the performance hit IMO if you're a serious gamer from having ray tracing enabled.

What would you do if you couldn't return it? He bought it at Newegg, and they have a replacement only policy for video cards.

They could sell it privately at a loss, or keep it.

Reactions: gradoman

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
What would you do if you couldn't return it? He bought it at Newegg, and they have a replacement only policy for video cards.

They could sell it privately at a loss, or keep it.

Well Shoot, How did I miss the part about it being bought on Black Friday? I would contact the manufacturer and see if they will take the return. If not, go on Ebay and see what your card is being sold for and if you'll take a hit against the price you paid. If it's within 50-75$ I would still sell it and get a used 1080 Ti. Your card maybe fine, but to me it's not worth the risk of getting a bad card, having to deal with RMA to the manufacturer, the time it takes to get the replacement, the likely hood the replacement will be a used card that has been re-certified, or the fact that if it is a new card the risk the lot is same as your current card and will fail again.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

Reactions: UsandThem