Bought a new car so i figure why not buy a new dash cam what does everyone use?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
4k would be nice at least 2k with a good sensor for night etc. guess i can use two one for front one for back or a dual system.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
The Thinkware U1000 is pretty much top overall I think. There are several "premium" brands of dashcams and several overseas brands that can be had for less that may have comparable features or image sensors.

Really, it's up to what form factor you prefer and if you can find the killer feature combo in that form factor (or the closest form factor to your preference).

I prefer the form factors like the U1000, but I'm cheap so I bought a 70Mai A800 instead for 1/3 the price. It's got a newer gen Sony STARVIS sensor that is a smaller sensor but has comparable specs to the older gen, larger sensor in the U1000. Dark performance is pretty good. Rear camera has some no name Chinese sensor, but the Thinkware rear cam has a smaller Sony STARVIS sensor that would perform much better.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
The Thinkware U1000 is pretty much top overall I think. There are several "premium" brands of dashcams and several overseas brands that can be had for less that may have comparable features or image sensors.

Really, it's up to what form factor you prefer and if you can find the killer feature combo in that form factor (or the closest form factor to your preference).

I prefer the form factors like the U1000, but I'm cheap so I bought a 70Mai A800 instead for 1/3 the price. It's got a newer gen Sony STARVIS sensor that is a smaller sensor but has comparable specs to the older gen, larger sensor in the U1000. Dark performance is pretty good. Rear camera has some no name Chinese sensor, but the Thinkware rear cam has a smaller Sony STARVIS sensor that would perform much better.
funny i was using a 70 mai pro previously and it really doesnt impress me with nighttime viewing and all. its OK but in motion its not, at night with lights its not.

maybe my 70 mai pro was the old version and there is a new a800 version? i wouldnt mind that, i really love the feature of saying take picture, or record video, has really came in handy.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
funny i was using a 70 mai pro previously and it really doesnt impress me with nighttime viewing and all. its OK but in motion its not, at night with lights its not.

maybe my 70 mai pro was the old version and there is a new a800 version? i wouldnt mind that, i really love the feature of saying take picture, or record video, has really came in handy.

Yeah they finally got a good image sensor with the debut of the A800, the Sony STARVIS IMX415, which has comparable sensitivity and image quality to the older, larger IMX335 the Thinkware U1000 has. Obviously there's an ever better new gen IMX435 that no one is using yet. Seems like there's a lot of stagnation in the dashcam market, even for something as trivial as upgrading the image sensor to the new generation.

Edit: Hmm, the current 70mai Pro Plus+ has an IMX335, the same sensor as the Thinkware. I know the processor has some affect on image quality as well, but that sensor should perform excellently. What model, exactly, do you have? It may be an older model that uses an inferior or no-name sensor, or maybe 70mai just has bad image processing that ruins a good sensor.

Reactions: killster1
Nov 20, 2009
That U1000 seems to have one in 10 bad reviews on Amazon. Someone even posted a video of it failing. A lot complained about having secondary battery power to keep it running only for it to turn off anyways. Not knocking the product but for $500 one might think these recent bad reviews would instill buyer beware. Of course maybe its their competition putting in bad reviews.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
That U1000 seems to have one in 10 bad reviews on Amazon. Someone even posted a video of it failing. A lot complained about having secondary battery power to keep it running only for it to turn off anyways. Not knocking the product but for $500 one might think these recent bad reviews would instill buyer beware. Of course maybe its their competition putting in bad reviews.
well good thing no one here is purchasing it, already got the 70mai a800s on its way (tempted to buy a second one but will try out the first) , i dont mind if it fails just dont fail in a way that makes me think its still recording :)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
So after using it.. I have to say I'm displeased, the sensitivity for emergency video is so sensitive it must be turned off completely so it's useless. Maybe it's for Mercedes Benz driven on a freeway but around here it's going off on every drive at minimum settings.

Second most important fun thing it has no voice control. My last 70mai pro had it, we would love saying record video take photo and have it take photos and videos to a separate folder. Now I have to reach over press a button??? Crazy no longer fun and safe but wow thebvideo is more clear then the last. What else is worse... how it doesn't warn you about placement before you put the sticker then says to place a special way for lane departure system (which is probably terrible but could be fun)

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
So after using it.. I have to say I'm displeased, the sensitivity for emergency video is so sensitive it must be turned off completely so it's useless. Maybe it's for Mercedes Benz driven on a freeway but around here it's going off on every drive at minimum settings.

Second most important fun thing it has no voice control. My last 70mai pro had it, we would love saying record video take photo and have it take photos and videos to a separate folder. Now I have to reach over press a button??? Crazy no longer fun and safe but wow thebvideo is more clear then the last. What else is worse... how it doesn't warn you about placement before you put the sticker then says to place a special way for lane departure system (which is probably terrible but could be fun)

Did you update to the latest firmware? The other day I noticed my A800 had a new firmware that had one changelog entry about fixing the collision sensitivity. Before the update it was going off when I would accelerate quickly, brake quickly, or do some spirited driving cornering but now I haven't seen it go off since updating.

Last edited:

nathanjo

Mar 22, 2022
4k would be nice at least 2k with a good sensor for night etc. guess i can use two one for front one for back or a dual system.

hey, these are the best dash cameras for car

1. Nextbase 622GW. The most advanced dash cam you can buy.
  2. Nextbase 522GW. The best dash cam for most people.
  3. Garmin Dash Cam 67W. Compact, powerful and easy to use.
  4. Nexar Pro.
  5. Viofo A129 Pro Duo.
  6. Garmin Dash Cam Tandem.
  7. Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2.
  8. Kenwood DRV-A601W.