bought a laptop as a side computer

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally I had a VAIO 550 mhz POS laptop that i used in the occasional situations where I needed a laptop. Then I saw a deal for a celeron M laptop for $500. I got that figuring I can push off the VAIO for $150 or so.

But just now, I bought a $35 wireless mouse for it and ordered a gig of memory for $100. I probably should have just stopped after selling off the old POS laptop and not bought another laptop.

It's not so much I can't afford it, but i slid far enough down the slippery slope where I'm asking if I really should have spent $500 net on something I barely use.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy
Why do you need a gig+ of RAM for a 550mhz laptop?

-i had a 550 mhz laptop
-decide to sell old 550 mhz laptop to fund new one
-new laptop is $500 1.3G celeron M w/ 256 MB
-256 MB with XP sucks
-me buys a gig of ram

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
oops, sorry my mistake on the reading part. anyway, i feel bad for criticizing an action of yours already past but you could've gotten a Dell 700m for $750 with a sexy pentium-m chip instead of the celeron

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Kensai
Stop buying new stuff. :p

Yeah, usually I'm not one to succumb to mass consumerism buying and because of this I buy almost nothing beyond food and clothes, so it's easy to get lazy. "ah what the heck, I'm working, saving alot of money, I can buy that".

Suddenly, the door is open and all kinds of gremlins get in.

I have this philosophy for the past 2 or so years that if you own too much stuff, your stuff starts to own you. This is one big reason why I drive a crappier car than everyone else my age at work because I hate being a slave to anyone/anything (namely a 30K+ car).

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BaboonGuy
oops, sorry my mistake on the reading part. anyway, i feel bad for criticizing an action of yours already past but you could've gotten a Dell 700m for $750 with a sexy pentium-m chip instead of the celeron

well, that is still $250 more than I paid for mine. And it didn't seem like a deal like that had come by for a while.