Bought a Keurig, makes terrible coffee. Suggest replacement

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just FYI, this is where it is truly at:
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach.../dp/B00EI7DPPI

Single serve when you want it, pot when you need a full pot. Wife and I had a Keurig that basically died, so we switched to this. We use it to make iced tea more than coffee, but not nearly as prone to failure as teh pump was in our keurig.

96-705-343-TS

That looks pretty awesome. I don't make coffee often because I don't drink much, and I seem to waste a lot of it even if I try to make a small pot. Something like this might be the best combo of what I need now and may need in the future.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I have a $10 or maybe it was $20 Mr. Coffee.

You guys are crazy, those coffee makers are ginormous :0)

I have a Keurig but always run out of K-cups and just use the regular brewer. Unless you leave it on 24/7, the Keurig takes about as long to heat up as a regular coffee maker takes to make a cup of coffee anyway.

For being such coffee aficionados I'm surprised hardly anyone knows they sell single-cup tea/coffee brewers for like $10 :awe:

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I had an 8 cup Mr Coffee that made OK coffee, but, after 18 years the thermal carafe started leaking.

This week I replaced it with a 10 cup Bunn Thermofresh BTX machine.
using the same World Market Sumatra with the beans ground to the same consistancy, with a small amount more beans per pot to account for the size difference.

The coffee I get now is fvcking awesome delicious. It's fvcking soooo good. Never thought it would be that big of a difference between brewing at 200 deg and brewing "somewhat hot."

OP, maybe if you had better coffee you'd drink more of it.

Get a Bunn, they are FAN-fvcking TASTIC

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
For being such coffee aficionados I'm surprised hardly anyone knows they sell single-cup tea/coffee brewers for like $10 :awe:

Coffee aficionados such as myself wouldn't recommend something like that because the brew temp likely isn't high enough for optimal extraction.

Pour-over, OTOH, may be crude, but you get perfect control over every aspect of the brew.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Get a Bunn, they are FAN-fvcking TASTIC

I'm not really thrilled with my Bunn. I've had it since the early 90s, but quick using it awhile ago. The pot's too small(it's somewhere between 8 and 10 cup), and I don't like keeping water heated for a once or twice a day thing. That's a lot on energy sitting there doing nothing. No complaints about the performance though.

My main maker is an electric perc I got from the thrift shop in 99 or so, and it's been going strong ever since. Disregarding everything but flavor, my French press is my favorite, but I need more than one cup at a time, and cleanup takes longer. I have a 10 cup press, but I have to drink fast, or it gets cold. I have a manual drip I used for camping. It works, but again, it's wasteful using paper filters for a single cup, and I never want just one cup of coffee.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I have a Keruig... and I like the donut shop coffee.

However, a trip to sheetz + $1.29 = best cup of coffee ever.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
+1 for Aeropress, but get an electric grinder, I can't tell you how many bad looks I've gotten at work using my mechanical.

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Sometimes the most basic items (and affordable) are best. Aeropress is fantastic, but we have a clever coffee dripper for when we don't want to make a full pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Shrub-C.../dp/B0047W70GY

All the benefits of a french press, minus the sediment, for one or two cups.

Edit: Our daily coffee maker. http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV180...s=coffee+maker (which is a complete steal at $120, this is as good as makers twice its price)

Shows up as $160.

However; neither of these products are what the Keurig and fast single cup makers are about.

Sure the coffee may not be as top notch as a French Press, but you can make it in 30 seconds including cleanup.

That's what the Keurig and the like are about.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
We've had a Keurig for about a year.
I consider myself a bit of a coffee snob and I like it.
I've never had any issues with plastic (or any other off ) taste.
The only problem I've had is weak coffee, but that depends entirely on which k-cups you buy. My favorite is Caribou.
Is it expensive compared to buying beans and using a standard coffee maker?
Sure, but I buy k-cups when they are on sale for about 50 cents each.
So it's still a lot cheaper than stopping at a coffee shop on the way to work each morning.
I usually only drink one cup a day, so I can handle $15 a month for the convenience of being able to make a cup in 60 seconds.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The only problem I've had is weak coffee, but that depends entirely on which k-cups you buy. My favorite is Caribou.
So it's still a lot cheaper than stopping at a coffee shop on the way to work each morning.
I usually only drink one cup a day, so I can handle $15 a month for the convenience of being able to make a cup in 60 seconds.

Also the time savings vs waiting in line at the coffee place.

I use the reusable K-Cup and Folgers usually. I don't drink coffee much, but I like Folgers over the Donut Shoppe and the like myself. I haven't really picked a bad KCup yet.

I remember when you could nail them for .30-.40 cents all the time :)

You seem to get exactly what the Keurig is about.

It's not about the best coffee.

It's not about the cheapest coffee.

It's not about being immersed in the coffee making experience.

It's about getting a fast cup of coffee including prep/cleanup.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003

Psh, I throw a little instant coffee in a cup and add really hot water. Now that is fast and convenient. No machine to clean / plug in / take up space and the cost is like 7 cents / cup.

For icing on the cake, our work supplies 200deg water for all the employees. So, I wait to make it on the clock! Pays for itself at this rate...

I've heard a lot of complaints about instants, but I have a Keurig at home right now (not mine) and I really don't see much of an improvement, if any. One bonus about instant is it tastes the same the whole cup, not major bitter when you get near the bottom.

Squeetard

Nov 13, 2004

This. I have a tassimo and love it. Decent coffee and convenient. A friend has a Kuerig and the "Sumatra" blend is very yummy.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Psh, I throw a little instant coffee in a cup and add really hot water. Now that is fast and convenient. No machine to clean / plug in / take up space and the cost is like 7 cents / cup.

For icing on the cake, our work supplies 200deg water for all the employees. So, I wait to make it on the clock! Pays for itself at this rate...

I've heard a lot of complaints about instants, but I have a Keurig at home right now (not mine) and I really don't see much of an improvement, if any. One bonus about instant is it tastes the same the whole cup, not major bitter when you get near the bottom.

I haven't tried a lot of instant coffees, but those I have tried were terrible. I like the coffee from a good k-cup much better.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Is that the holy grail of coffee makers?

My GF wants one for Christmas, but I don't drink coffee and don't really know what a good quality one is to get.
No, this is the holy grail of drip coffee:

http://www.roastmasters.com/moccamaster.html

Some alteratives:
http://www.roastmasters.com/brazen.html
http://www.roastmasters.com/bonavita.html

But a word of advice. There's no need to go for the holy grail if the person drinking it won't appreciate it. Most coffee drinkers won't care.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have a cheap 12 cup coffee maker. i only drink 2-3 cups so i make 6. the rest i pour out because it taste like shit by the time i get to it.

I had a 4 cup coffee maker and teh one i had never seemed to make decent coffee.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
No, this is the holy grail of drip coffee:

http://www.roastmasters.com/moccamaster.html

Some alteratives:
http://www.roastmasters.com/brazen.html
http://www.roastmasters.com/bonavita.html

But a word of advice. There's no need to go for the holy grail if the person drinking it won't appreciate it. Most coffee drinkers won't care.

Whoa those are some serious coffee makers. Thanks!

Well she loves coffee, and being European she seems to love it more than anyone I know.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
What kind of coffee does she typically buy? That's the easy way to tell if a machine like that is worthwhile.