Bought a Dell U2713HM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tuxon86

Jan 13, 2010
Someone please tell me why the editor here does response / input lag tests at NON NATIVE resolution? :rolleyes:

Anyway, looks like a great monitor. The less aggressive AG alone makes it better (IMO) than the u2711.

The most common way to test for input lag is to use a second monitor with 0 input lag, like a CRT, for comparaison. Since there isn't really any CRT running at 1440 lines of resolution people are forced to use the max resolution of 1080...

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The most common way to test for input lag is to use a second monitor with 0 input lag, like a CRT, for comparaison. Since there isn't really any CRT running at 1440 lines of resolution people are forced to use the max resolution of 1080...

That is stupid. Nearly every LCD will have significant input lag at non native resolution, and will be much much better at their intended resolution.

Testing a 2560x IPS panel at 1920x1080 is stupid. It is by no means indicative of how the monitor will really perform since nearly everyone will use it at the intended resolution.

Last edited:

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
How does this compare with a U2711?

Seems like the U2713hm is better, except for the following people:

1. Photographers who have ALL of the following - wide gamut printer, wide gamut camera, wide gamut graphics card and wide gamut graphics software.
2. ... I can't think of anyone else.

That is stupid. Nearly every LCD will have significant input lag at non native resolution, and will be much much better at their intended resolution.

Testing an IPS panel at 1920x1080 is stupid.

How do you propose to test input lag for this monitor then?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I think the 2713 is better because it has a much, much better anti glare coating. The AG on the 2711 is extremely thick and can be noticeable on white backgrounds, by contrast the 2713 has much cleaner, crisper text on white backgrounds. (due to having a "thin" anti glare coating that isn't obtrusive)

On the other hand, the 2711 has more bells and whistles. If I had to make a choice I would get the 2713. I'm using a 3011 right now, i'm hoping the 3013 has the improved AG that the 2713 has.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I meant. Is it worth selling a 2711 to buy a 2713 if that means shelling 200-300ish extra? Or is the difference something which isn't absolutely essential?

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
How much better is it? Is it a huge upgrade or just marginal?

Other than the AG coating as blackened said, which was pretty garbage even for me (being someone that really likes AG coatings)...

1. Better colour support - that is, you don't have to deal with oversaturated colours of the U2711 (unless you ran sRGB emulation, which was only ok on the U2711).
2. You get a USB 3 hub instead of a USB 2 hub.
3. Much lower power use.

If you have a U2711 already, I doubt it's worth it to get a U2713hm unless you can sell your U2711 for the same price as a new U2713hm. If you were looking to buy a new one, there's no contest in my mind - the U2713hm is the one to get. The U2711's bells and whistles are limited to colour gamut (for wide gamut photographers with a wide gamut workflow), SD card reader, and more inputs (+1 DL-DVI, component, composite). For the vast majority of people, the only real advantage the U2711 has is that it has an SD card reader.

If you're thinking of spending an extra $200 for a U2713hm... if you're relatively happy with what you have right now, then no, it's not worth it. Unless there are glaring problems with your enjoyment of your old monitor, don't bother.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

is there no 1:1 mapping on the 2713?

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
No questions then? :)

Well all I can say a couple of months in and no issues. It's actually very nice and it's difficult to find a reason not to buy another. I will say though, operating at its native resolution of 2560 x 1440 the text is a tad too small for my aging eyes.

Really happy so far :)

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
No questions then? :)

Well all I can say a couple of months in and no issues. It's actually very nice and it's difficult to find a reason not to buy another. I will say though, operating at its native resolution of 2560 x 1440 the text is a tad too small for my aging eyes.

Really happy so far :)
If you're running Windows 7, try scaling the display to 125%. My parents had the same complaint after I moved them to a 23" 1080p monitor (from 19" 900p). However, I find 150% isn't compatible with many webpages and images/text ends up blurry from the upscaling.

Glad to hear Dell monitors are still superb. I'm closing in on 4 years with my 3007WFP-HC and it's still the best purchase I've ever made for my computer.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
First professional review I've seen of the U2713: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ltrasharp-u2713-27-ah-ips-monitor-review.html

And they love it...I'm definitely putting this on my wish list for the future. I've gotten tremendous use out of my past Dell monitors. The service/warranty and extra features (ports, adjustability) are worth paying for, in my opinion.

On a sidenote, I can't believe how power efficient this monitor is. It uses 21w once calibrated, while my older 2408 uses about 60w.

Hardware Canuck's review:

power.jpg

From Anand's Review:

49907.png

That's some damn impressive power usage for a monitor that large. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Wow thats correct. I didnt even notice. The US price equal to that is 575$. I wonder when the monitor will be on sale in the US as well.

I bought mine in Denmark for something equal to around 625$ for americans.

It usually tends to be the other way around.

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
I was debating whether I should go for this model or U2711 (since I'm into photography and PS editing). I was coming from the Dell 2707WFP.
The IPS panel along with the great resolution convinced me that it was time to upgrade. And from the moment I decided that the wider color gamut of the 2711 would be of little use to me in the vast majority of situations,I decided to go with the U2713.

And I'm glad I did, since this monitor is very nice and at a great price point. Owning 3 more Dell monitors from older times, I trust this brand since it never disappointed me in the past.
My only issue is that it has a slight backlight bleed on the lower left side but nothing that concerns or bothers me..
The amazing DPI @27 inches and the more useful aspect ratio (16:9) are really welcome.
The IQ is simply amazing and the AG coating that I have heard so many things about is almost unnoticeable.

While the quality of the plastic is really good,compared to my 2707wfp is one or two steps behind. I really can't compare it to the brushed metal and the delicate finishes of the 2707.
But I do understand that at this price point I can't complain.. I still remember how much it had cost me back in 2007 the 2707.. :D

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase. Being a 27'' owner for quite some years now I was afraid the "wow" factor would probably be really small, but I'm glad that was not the truth.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
just got the u2713hm. it's pretty glorious. my one issue with it is that the USB hub turns off when you turn the monitor off. which disconnects my USB soundcard box and also won't charge my phone.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
just got the u2713hm. it's pretty glorious. my one issue with it is that the USB hub turns off when you turn the monitor off. which disconnects my USB soundcard box and also won't charge my phone.

I usually just let the monitor go into standby.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I usually just let the monitor go into standby.

i tried that but my computer sometimes puts the monitor in standby while watching netflix.

there's probably a better fix.

Jarrestadt

Feb 5, 2013
Has anyone here had an opportunity to make a direct comparison between the U2713HM and one of those monitors people buy from Korean merchants on eBay, typically the basic models like the Crossover 27Q? If so, how would you compare the panels?

I've just been reading reviews and haven't had an opportunity to see either monitor so far (going to take a look at the Dell U2713HM tomorrow), but one thing that struck me is that everyone who's received their monitor from Korea appeared to be blown away by how beautiful the panel looked. I haven't noted the same enthusiasm with people having purchased the Dell monitor. That may stem from other reasons than the mere quality of the monitor, of course.

The Dell has a lot going for it. Three years warranty, multiple inputs, a decent scaler, excellent energy consumption. Just how the panels compare is not clear to me.

I'll be using the monitor for both work and leisure. A basic cheap TN panel does the job for me. But now I know there are more beautiful alternatives why not go for one? And it's going to be either the Dell or a Crossover 27Q.