Bought a blu ray player for PC - mistake

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Why dont blu ray players for PC play blu ray movies out of the box on Windows 10?

I mean... it IS a blu ray player after all, and they are blu ray discs

And there is no free software on the internet to play blu ray movies with a blu ray player that I can find?

Can anybody help, feel like I just tossed $60 in the trash because I bought this blu ray drive so i could play them on my PC hooked up to my tv

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
> Why dont blu ray players for PC play blu ray movies out of the box on Windows 10?

Patent licensing fees. Years ago I read it cost $8/user to license DVD playback, and blu-ray is worse. MS has given free Windows 10 licenses to some OEMs and losing $10/user is not a good money making strategy.

The free software is free because it ignores licensing the patents.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
> Why dont blu ray players for PC play blu ray movies out of the box on Windows 10?

Patent licensing fees. Years ago I read it cost $8/user to license DVD playback, and blu-ray is worse. MS has given free Windows 10 licenses to some OEMs and losing -$10/user is not a good money making strategy.

The free software is free because it ignores licensing the patents.
It also means the free software is illegal depending on what country you in live in.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Use DVDFab or a similar program to strip the encryption and then play it with MPC-HC.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
What Bluray drive did you buy that didn't include software?

Something in a bulk package, most like. Most of that kind do not include software. Even -if- you get software, its usually some antiquated version of PowerDVD. So you'll have to fork out anyway.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
VLC Media Player 64-bit version may work (assuming a PC with an adequately performing CPU):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vlc_media_player_beta.html
There's several youtube videos that describe some "aacs" files that may also be required for blu-ray playback to function.
Google search: "can VLC media player play blu-ray?"
Don't actually have any blu-ray discs, so can't verify.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
What Bluray drive did you buy that didn't include software?
From what I've seen, more product listings for both BDROMs and BD-writers don't come bundled with software than do, And pretty much all of them have a slew of bad reviews from people who didn't read the product descriptions (or for that matter, the earlier reviews) and imagined they could get a BD drive with software for $30-40 on sale. (And then there are the significant number of people who apparently "thought", to use the term loosely, that a BDROM drive should be able to burn as well as read BDs. But I digress...)

Last edited: