Bottom case fans, what are the best options?

Anubis75

Aug 13, 2010
Here is my setup:

Corsair clear 600C case
Intel i5-6600k w/CryOrig m9i cooler, running at approx 4.3Ghz
16 gb RAM
RX 480
1 256 SSD drive
1 1TB hard drive
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo
700 watt power supply at the top of the case

Current fan compliment are the fans that came with the case, 2 140mm's in front, one in the rear. CPU temps are pretty damned... rarely getting to 60, that 480 does heat up a fair bit so I was thinking of using the 3 bottom case fan slots to suck air out. I am working on getting a proper 27 inch 1440p 144mhz monitor so I'll be working the 480 a fair bit more. Are those bottom case fans a good idea and if so what kind would be the best considering the will be blowing against a carpet.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Here is my setup:

Corsair clear 600C case
Intel i5-6600k w/CryOrig m9i cooler, running at approx 4.3Ghz
16 gb RAM
RX 480
1 256 SSD drive
1 1TB hard drive
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo
700 watt power supply at the top of the case

Current fan compliment are the fans that came with the case, 2 140mm's in front, one in the rear. CPU temps are pretty damned... rarely getting to 60, that 480 does heat up a fair bit so I was thinking of using the 3 bottom case fan slots to suck air out. I am working on getting a proper 27 inch 1440p 144mhz monitor so I'll be working the 480 a fair bit more. Are those bottom case fans a good idea and if so what kind would be the best considering the will be blowing against a carpet.

That's a pretty good case. Not for its price or appearance, but for its possibilities. From the Corsair website and the pictures of the case, it seems they're touting it as ideal for water-cooling. But the possibilities for use of a heatpipe air cooler are no less promising.

I personally would not choose to exhaust air from the bottom of the case.

Further, this just points up a conclusion I'd made a long time ago about cases and case designs. I'm currently using CM HAF 932s (x3) and an (old!) CM Stacker 830. Vent-holes in a versatile case will exceed various needs. Cases are designed with fan vents as options. You don't need to use all of them for optimal cooling with a particular cooling strategy.

For my Stacker, which also has a 120x240mm vent on the case bottom, I'd use that vent only or mostly if I planned to mount a radiator on the case bottom for INTAKE air.

If you take the time to ponder your cooling strategy with the Cryorig and the "BTX" design of the case, you might come to the same conclusion. Without further "pondering" on my part, I'd be inclined to block off the bottom vents with a rectangular slab of foam art-board -- preferably with black backing paper on it. You can do this quite neatly, securing the slab to the case-bottom with anything from rubber fan-mounts to nylon screws and nuts -- easily obtainable online or from your local electronics warehouse store.

The quick and sloppy way to secure a piece of art-board could use an adhesive, like Pit Crew's Automotive Adhesive -- if you don't plan on removing it from the case frequently or even periodically. But removal is easy. The adhesive should peel off the metal surfaces any way you choose to grab it an pull it away from the case-metal, plastic or whatever it is bonded to.

Again, I suspect that the bundled fans and vents provide you with options. Optimal cooling may not require use of ALL the fans and ALL the vents.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Or even these which seem to be more available.. additional 20+ CFM and .5 increase in pressure vs the ones that came with the case. They are also.. blueeeeeeeeee :)

https://www.amazon.com/BitFenix-BFF-LPRO-14025B-RP-Spectre-140mm-Case/dp/B007OWPY4Y

Actually, no -- check the specs again. The LED fan only pushes about 87 CFM. The previous fan you linked is more like 122 CFM, which looks very promising. My Akasa Viper 140's are rated at 110 and top out at maybe 1,600 RPM.

Often I will search for a fan and look at LED fans as I do so. I'm using the BitFenix Spectre-Pro 200mm LED fans in two of my systems. I'd actually feel lucky if I could find an LED fan that performed up to snuff with a no-LED equivalent. I can't find anything on the static pressure for this LED fan.

I'd think the static pressure will be more relevant for your CPU cooler or exhaust fan, and less so for intake -- unless the intake passes through a radiator.

So I'd spring for the former fan without the LED. At that noise level and RPM, the extra throughput allows you more flexibility in how the fan is controlled to run. But if the LED floats your boat, you can paddle that one.

Anubis75

Aug 13, 2010
Sorry, should have been a bit more clearer... the ones with LED's are a 20 CFM/.5 pressure improvement over the Corsair's that come with the case... while the ones without are nearly double. I'll probably go with those then.. 3 of them should move a significant amount more air.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Sorry, should have been a bit more clearer... the ones with LED's are a 20 CFM/.5 pressure improvement over the Corsair's that come with the case... while the ones without are nearly double. I'll probably go with those then.. 3 of them should move a significant amount more air.

Sometimes there's a trade-off between bling and zing. Right now, I'm fiddling with this old Stacker 830 case. I had already equipped it with a cold-cathode tube (12") and inverter with a custom switch on the front-panel. For $8 and change, I bought another Logisys kit with two 5" lights.

But it's extra work . . .for what? I didn't aim for a "show-case" side panel, am leaving the perf-steel grille on an otherwise all-aluminum case --won't replace it with a Lexan window. The perf-steel -- notably gracing all case surfaces except the rear -- goes farther to eliminate EMI. that's why they incorporated it into the case design in the first place.

But Corsair makes good cases; I never had an "EMI" problem with Lexan case side-panels before; and you don't have that decision to make -- "perf-steel? or Lexan? But not both."

And -- the 600C is a steel case, anyway . . .

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I am working on getting a proper 27 inch 1440p 144mhz monitor...

I've had my Acer 27" XB271HU (IPS, 2560x1440, 165hz, NO QC issues at all...) for @ 3 months now. It's amazing. My son and I are gamers, including Battlefield 4, and this monitor has made a difference in our scores for sure. Glad I listened to some buds of mine about getting this Acer and not the Asus. And no, I don't work for Acer, and have no grudges against Asus.

Anubis75

Aug 13, 2010
That's a bit pricy for what I am looking for... I'm looking at 300 to 400 dollar range, used of course. Also an NV product, I'm an AMD guy :) Well, that's because the 480 came out, was in supply and other then minor hickup upon release works well. I am either gonna crossfire the 480 or get a 490 depending on AIB prices. For now the 480 reference will do the trick.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on fan upgrades, waiting to secure a good monitor then I'll contact my builder and arrange things.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#H=120,240&r=256001440&sort=a8&page=1

The only 1440p 144Hz monitor for $400 or less is Acer XG270HU, on sale at newegg (Great Savings). It uses a TN panel with FreeSync support. According to tftcentral, it's actually a pretty good buy. As long as you don't mind the poor viewing angles and the basic non-adjustable stand, it should be excellent for gaming. As with pretty much any current 1440p 144Hz panel, I'm guessing there's a risk of (excessive) backlight bleed, if that happens you can return it and hope that the replacement is better.

Anubis75

Aug 13, 2010
I've actually got a bid in on BenQ 2730 and I know I can get a MG279Q, both used.. for around 400. Think I'll make a decision Sunday between the 2.

Anubis75

Aug 13, 2010
Order has been placed... went for NZKT 140mm case fans.... CFM at peak is 100, minimum 40ish so already only 22 below the max of the current fans. even at 90 CFM that's 270 CFM vs 208 peak for the Corsairs.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Order has been placed... went for NZKT 140mm case fans.... CFM at peak is 100, minimum 40ish so already only 22 below the max of the current fans. even at 90 CFM that's 270 CFM vs 208 peak for the Corsairs.

Did you get these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CIKP19CRps4CFQiSfgod4dUOdw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wasn't sure which model you chose, and this was first to pop up on the radar. I can only say "these" are likely to be good fans, and it's a nice thing to know for later needs.

Anubis75

Aug 13, 2010
Did you get these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CIKP19CRps4CFQiSfgod4dUOdw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wasn't sure which model you chose, and this was first to pop up on the radar. I can only say "these" are likely to be good fans, and it's a nice thing to know for later needs.

I think thats what they are, I'll let you know when I get the work done. Having a couple of other things done at the same time.. just gave him the NZKT FX-140 PWM part but the 142's are 19.99(and current) and that is the price he quoted me.