Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
1661998704267.png

Saw a similar pic.
Wanted bbq sauce with texture.

1) Bought this:
1661998917434.png

Nope, no texture to the sauce. :(
I also didn't taste any onion even though the bottle says 6.4% of ingredients is onion.

2) Going to try this:
Garlic on top of steak then Walmart brand bbq sauce on top
1661999115577.png

Walmart brand won bottled bbq taste contest this year:
:eek:

3) If 2 doesn't work, i'll break down and buy an onion.
chop it into cubes and cook.
put it on top of steak then walmart bbq sauce

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
As far as sauce, I like this:

Kroger® KC Style Original Barbecue Sauce, 17.5 oz - Kroger

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I keep a bottle of regular "Bullseye" in the fridge for dipping chicken-fingers or other similar processed snack-foods and maybe grilling hot dogs but for anything higher quality I make my own sauces from scratch. Not difficult.

Reactions: blackangst1

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No one is questioning why dude wants to put BBQ sauce on a steak?

I would have but I thought that was a small rack of ribs at a glance! :p

More like a McRib with ketchup now that I look closer.... gross!

HT_mcrib_7_jtm_141104_16x9_992.jpg

The color is right!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Are you sure that's barbecue sauce in the original pic, OP? Or were you just, I guess we'll say "inspired"?
Barbecue sauce isn't typically "chunky" as you seem to be after. I won't say "never" but I can't think of any I've tried that are. And I've tried a lot of them.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Are you sure that's barbecue sauce in the original pic, OP? Or were you just, I guess we'll say "inspired"?
Barbecue sauce isn't typically "chunky" as you seem to be after. I won't say "never" but I can't think of any I've tried that are. And I've tried a lot of them.

The problem with "chunky" BBQ sauce is that if you move the meat around much the "chunks" tend to fall right off! (nevermind how I know this lol)

;)

It's fine to have chunky "finishing" BBQ/grilling sauce that you heat in advance and than wait until the very end of cooking (or even after its done and plated) to apply though.

My suggestion for a simple recipe-starter would be to make chunky salsa one of the base-ingredients. (pineapple is particularly tasty!)

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
OP: is this really a steak or some weird McRib concoction? If its a steak, you lost you lost your man card.

Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The problem with "chunky" BBQ sauce is that if you move the meat around much the "chunks" tend to fall right off! (nevermind how I know this lol)

;)

It's fine to have chunky "finishing" BBQ/grilling sauce that you heat in advance and than wait until the very end of cooking (or even after its done and plated) to apply though.

My suggestion for a simple recipe-starter would be to make chunky salsa one of the base-ingredients. (pineapple is particularly tasty!)
Yeah, I agree salsa would probably be a great base if this is the goal.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
OP: is this really a steak or some weird McRib concoction? If its a steak, you lost you lost your man card.
no idea.
saw the bbq textured topping and i wanted that.
was disappointed at bbq sauce isle at grocery store didnt have anything even close to that.

i hoped Sweet Baby Ray's with onions would come close.
nope

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
No one is questioning why dude wants to put BBQ sauce on a steak?
A nice dash of salt+pepper is great on a steak. But, I pity those who can't see that steak has many other, often better uses. While I wouldn't do BBQ sauce myself, a Memphis style rub is fantastic.

But what the OP should really try is something along the lines of a steak molcajete. Or even just chimichurri sauce. Lots of flavor, with a little more texture.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
A nice dash of salt+pepper is great on a steak. But, I pity those who can't see that steak has many other, often better uses. While I wouldn't do BBQ sauce myself, a Memphis style rub is fantastic.

But what the OP should really try is something along the lines of a steak molcajete. Or even just chimichurri sauce. Lots of flavor, with a little more texture.
Mephis style Rub pre-cook !== dumping Sweet Baby Rays on a steak after it's well done.

(cause we all know this dude cooks his steaks well done)

Just saying!

• Haha

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Saute onions and green pepper in butter and add soy sauce and/or liquid smoke. Pile on steak and enjoy with or without bbq sauce.

FWIW this past week I wanted to try tempeh. I cut the block into 3 pieces, boiled it in water with better than bullion while I took a shower. Then I cut into "ribs" and popped them in the air fryer for 15 minutes. Then they ended up in a skillet with Sweet Baby Ray's original bbq sauce. I must say it was quite yummy and had a very unique texture.