Boston University group offers white scholarship

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Good for Boston, let see what happens.
And for the record racial "Qoutas" have been illegal for a long time.

-Your "Cousin" was not addmitted to the college cause there were tons of Asians that "took" "HIS" spot.

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006
Originally posted by: beyoku
-Your "Cousin" was not addmitted to the college cause there were tons of Asians that "took" "HIS" spot.

then i guess his parents friend on the admission board must've been lying then?

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006
I graduated high school valedictorian with a 4.0. I have ONE scholarship. And it covers a little less than half my tuition. But it doesn't get anywhere near covering living expenses or text books or other school materials.

Luckily, I'm white AND male, so I'm easily able to exploit minorities to cover the rest of my expenses. Afterall, the techniques have been passed down through my family for generations.

Affirmative action is discriminatory any way you look at it. Just think about the messages it sends.
-White people don't need help
-Minorities aren't intelligent enough to get into school/job/etc without assistance directed specifically at them.

You know, I just got to thinking. The Irish immigrants were highly discriminated against in the 1800s. Perhaps everyone of Irish descent (me) should be getting reparations and perhaps be included in Affirmative action?

I have several friends of "minority" descent and they all exploit the system to get financial aid. Thousands of dollars in exchange for ONE measly essay. But it's ok. Despite the fact that every one of them is from a middle class family, I have to accept the fact that I've been holding them back and oppressing them for years.

that is a reply from a member on another forum i belong to. I think he makes a valid point

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ahurtt
The very existence of affirmative action itself is hypocrisy defined. Here you have a policy you try to FORCE equality. Equality is not something that can be forced. Either things are equal or they are not. To try and enforce a policy which has the aim of forcing equality merely says that since group A is not actually equal to group B, we are going to tilt the table in group A's direction since they are not equal and need help. It's insulting if you think about it. It's like playing with a handicap. It's like winning your favorite video game on easy mode because the normal mode was too hard for you. So I applaud what these guys did. Maybe one day people will learn life just isn't fair and all people are NOT in fact equal in every respect. You can change the constitution and make all the laws you want but that doesn't change people's hearts and minds and it doesn't change the simple truth. Some people are just naturally better and worse at some things than other people and no amount of legislation will ever change that. Affirmative action is an idea who's ship has sailed. It's long past time we burried it deep, deep, deep in the earth and forget it ever existed.

Wrong. Affirmative action has nothing to do with legislating equality. It is a tool to combat latent racism and to forestall social decay in uneducated minorities that is destabilizing to society as a whole. Please re read my earlier post.

And did you really just imply that minorities are bad at learning? You might want to cite a source for that or people might think you're some sort of raving racist. People like me.

As to other people, if you truly believe that white people have no advantages over minorities in America, you are burying your head in the sand. I do believe that as it is structured now that a significant amount of people taking advantage of affirmative action do not need it, and this is removing those benefits from those who could use them... but this is not an indictment of the program as a whole.

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy
The very existence of affirmative action itself is hypocrisy defined. Here you have a policy you try to FORCE equality. Equality is not something that can be forced. Either things are equal or they are not. To try and enforce a policy which has the aim of forcing equality merely says that since group A is not actually equal to group B, we are going to tilt the table in group A's direction since they are not equal and need help. It's insulting if you think about it. It's like playing with a handicap. It's like winning your favorite video game on easy mode because the normal mode was too hard for you. So I applaud what these guys did. Maybe one day people will learn life just isn't fair and all people are NOT in fact equal in every respect. You can change the constitution and make all the laws you want but that doesn't change people's hearts and minds and it doesn't change the simple truth. Some people are just naturally better and worse at some things than other people and no amount of legislation will ever change that. Affirmative action is an idea who's ship has sailed. It's long past time we burried it deep, deep, deep in the earth and forget it ever existed.

Wrong. Affirmative action has nothing to do with legislating equality. It is a tool to combat latent racism and to forestall social decay in uneducated minorities that is destabilizing to society as a whole. Please re read my earlier post.

And did you really just imply that minorities are bad at learning? You might want to cite a source for that or people might think you're some sort of raving racist. People like me.

As to other people, if you truly believe that white people have no advantages over minorities in America, you are burying your head in the sand. I do believe that as it is structured now that a significant amount of people taking advantage of affirmative action do not need it, and this is removing those benefits from those who could use them... but this is not an indictment of the program as a whole.

he wasn't implying that minorities were bad at learning at all. The jist of what you bolded was basically that the more qualified person should be admitted/hired...regardless of race. But colleges aren't doing that and they're denying qualified applicants in order to save room for minorities (who may not be as qualified) thats what he's saying.

I really don't think he was implying that minorities were bad @ learning.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well, consider the current situation is that minorities are severely underrepresented at universities across america. If it is as he implies that some people are just better then others... that would mean that minorities just aren't so good at the whole school thing. Yes, yes, that is racist.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Wrong. Affirmative Action -->WAS<-- created to to level the playing field WHEN IT WAS CREATED. Do I believe racial inequality exists? Of course it does. On every level, within EVERY race. And no amount of legislation will change that. Its human nature; however, I dont belive it is, as you put it, rampant. Certainly not the way it was 50 years ago.

AA is like unions. They fit the bill at the time, but are no longer needed.

r6ashih

May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: sdy284

he wasn't implying that minorities were bad at learning at all. The jist of what you bolded was basically that the more qualified person should be admitted/hired...regardless of race. But colleges aren't doing that and they're denying qualified applicants in order to save room for minorities (who may not be as qualified) thats what he's saying.

I really don't think he was implying that minorities were bad @ learning.

Colleges are looking at more than just SAT and GPA, so an applicant being "qualified" is subjective.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Two things, first of all why something was created, and the reasons why it still exists are often very different. Second of all, that has always been the selling point for AA, but has never been the academic and real sociological reason for it. It's sort of like when people sell increases in the military budget as "protecting america!" when it is really "give jobs to my constituents and stimulate the economy!" One sells a lot better.

As far as racial inequality not being rampant.. the average african american lives almost a decade less then the average white. Their poverty rates are more then double that of whites. Their per capita income is 50% less then whites. Attribute those to what causes you will, but to say that racial inequality is not rampant is the denial of reality.

And did you just say that unions were no longer necessary? I don't want to derail the conversation, but you just flushed your credibility down the toilet right there.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
I graduated high school valedictorian with a 4.0. I have ONE scholarship. And it covers a little less than half my tuition. But it doesn't get anywhere near covering living expenses or text books or other school materials.

Luckily, I'm white AND male, so I'm easily able to exploit minorities to cover the rest of my expenses. Afterall, the techniques have been passed down through my family for generations.

Affirmative action is discriminatory any way you look at it. Just think about the messages it sends.
-White people don't need help
-Minorities aren't intelligent enough to get into school/job/etc without assistance directed specifically at them.

You know, I just got to thinking. The Irish immigrants were highly discriminated against in the 1800s. Perhaps everyone of Irish descent (me) should be getting reparations and perhaps be included in Affirmative action?

I have several friends of "minority" descent and they all exploit the system to get financial aid. Thousands of dollars in exchange for ONE measly essay. But it's ok. Despite the fact that every one of them is from a middle class family, I have to accept the fact that I've been holding them back and oppressing them for years.

that is a reply from a member on another forum i belong to. I think he makes a valid point

See Bolded above first.
The issues with that post and many post is that people choose to ignore the #1 issue that gave birth to A.A. in the first place and why its not dead yet.
-Some white with power in universities grant admission to underqualified whites males over qualified minorities and women becuase they have issues with Racism and Sexism. What is that left out of the posters reasons. This is the MAIN reason and mesage it sends.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

No. You might want to cite a source for where I said that or people might think you are jumping to conclusions and putting words into my mouth. People like me. Especially since I never even once used the word "minority" in my original post. You are just a race riot waiting to happen aren't you? You probably look at the whole world through a pair of racism glasses. You obviously see racism where it does not exist. Maybe you better look at the mirror if you want to find the source of it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
[/quote]

No. You might want to cite a source for where I said that or people might think you are jumping to conclusions and putting words into my mouth. People like me. Especially since I never even once used the word "minority" in my original post. You are just a race riot waiting to happen aren't you? You probably look at the whole world through a pair of racism glasses. You obviously see racism where it does not exist. Maybe you better look at the mirror if you want to find the source of it.
[/quote]

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

This is a discussion on minorities and affirmative action. Ie. Specifically talking about the qualifications of individuals with respect to their race. When you speak of people in a generalized sense in a discussion about race, OF COURSE people think that you're talking in terms of race.

What were you talking about when you mentioned hearts and minds anyway though? The deep seated antipathy that your average american feels towards those with SAT scores of merely 1050? The desire to change the constitution in order to protect those with middling GPAs?

Come on man, you are trying to avoid the implications of what you wrote on purpose. If you aren't doing it on purpose, then you should at least be able to see how someone would reasonably interpret what you said as being racist.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Well, consider the current situation is that minorities are severely underrepresented at universities across america. If it is as he implies that some people are just better then others... that would mean that minorities just aren't so good at the whole school thing. Yes, yes, that is racist.

YES! Some people ARE better AT SOME THINGS than OTHER PEOPLE! Do you understand the difference between what you think I said and what I actually said now? As for why you take that to mean that I am saying all minorities suck at learning, sounds like a personal issue to me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh and not to be pedantic, but bolding your text was citing my source for thinking you're a racist. So... I already did.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
YES! Some people ARE better AT SOME THINGS than OTHER PEOPLE! Do you understand the difference between what you think I said and what I actually said now? As for why you take that to mean that I am saying all minorities suck at learning, sounds like a personal issue to me.

You just proved my point. I just said that there is a significant racial disparity in university admissions. You said that is because some people are better at things then others.

Let me spell it out for you:

ME: A.) Certain races are underrepresented in university admissions.
YOU: B.) This is because certain people are better qualified for university admission then others.

LOGIC: A+B -->
C.) University admissions are skewed towards certain races because people of certain races are better qualified for university admission.

D.) That's pretty fvcking racist.

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006

jesus christ ....HE'S NOT BEING RACIST!

he's saying that some people are smarter than others (whether they're white, black, brown or purple) and that the smart/qualified people should be admitted first. plain and f*cking simple. there's no racism there

but if the smart white kids are being denied to the college of their choice because a not as smart minority kid is admitted to that college, how is that fair?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

he's saying that some people are smarter than others (whether they're white, black, brown or purple) and that the smart/qualified people should be admitted first. plain and f*cking simple. there's no racism there

but if the smart white kids are being denied to the college of their choice because a not as smart minority kid is admitted to that college, how is that fair?

It has nothing to do with fairness, didn't we already cover that?

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006

You just proved my point. I just said that there is a significant racial disparity in university admissions. You said that is because some people are better at things then others.

YOU: B.) This is because certain people are better qualified for university admission then others.

C.) University admissions are skewed towards certain races because people of certain races are better qualified for university admission.

he never said certain races are more qualified he said more people...but you're doing good job of putting words and ideas into his posts ;)

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006

well then ignore the second part and address the first part of my post

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

highlighted for truth

For the last time: affirmative action is not designed to be fair nor is it meant to address income disparity. It simply address the growing problem of undereducated minorities (whether due to latent racism, resentment towards 'acting white' or any other cultural/racial factor).

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

But fairness is a level playing field.

That is what AA is intended to provide.

It is a catch 22. to provide a level field; extra effort is being made to hold back some that may be better qualified based not on the color of their skin.

AA has been around for 40 years; it may have helped, but at what point does it backfire on itself.
This BU incident is an indication that bending over to assist has become an issue in itself.

People may cry racism; however, where is the outcry when organizations are setup to promote racism; against it apparently depends on the skin color; not the abilities of the person.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: extra

There is only one race of humans and it includes people with all different kinds of skin pigmentation. It's time that was recognized. Affirmative action stuff based on race is trying to say one group is inferior to another.

How about coming out with "Affirmative action" not based on race but... /gasp...based on people's INCOME!!!

Actually there are technically two races, Humans and Neanderthals. Look at how Geico openly discriminates against them poor souls!!:D

On a serious note, I have always felt that Affirmative Action was a bad idea. It is a Government initiated idea basically saying that some cultures are of less value than others and need the scales tipped their way. To me that is the biggest discrimination of all.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

Dude. . .stop saying I said things I didn't.
I never said the thing you attributed to me on item B.) above. You are simply seeing and interpreting what you want to because of your own deep seated racist tendencies and your "I'm a victim" mentality. I am making non-specific generalized observations about human nature and the human condition and you are taking it personally. Stop.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't know how to make it any simpler. You believe that the current system only allows the most qualified applicants in... (or should only allow them in) and those applicants tend to be overwhelmingly from the caucasian and asian ethnic groups. There is a logical argument for believing that. I disagree, but I can respect it.

When goofy back there then says that the reasons for these disparities is because some people are simply better at things (in this case school) then others, that is racist. It doesn't matter that he said "people" and not "races". If you are not deliberately ignoring the context in which his post was written it is impossible to interpret it any other way. Like I said in an earlier post, I find it extremely unlikely that he was talking about amending the constitution to protect those of below average GPAs. Come on man...

He is coming right out and stating that whites and asians are simply better at school then african americans, hispanics, and american indians. That's really.... really ignorant and ignores precisely the societal factors that AA is there to combat.

You can argue the merits of affirmative action, and even if you think it should be abolished there are plenty of intellectually responsible ways you can argue that. To say "Hurrr hurrr... some people are just better, so AA blows... hurrrr hurrrr" is not one of them.

sdy284

Apr 11, 2006
you're an idiot. i give up

but..i'll quote myself again