Boston people: Looking for a restaurant for a first date

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
I'm being set up on a blind date. I know the girl somewhat well, as we've been chatting online for 5-6 weeks.

Anyways, this Thursday night we're going out for the first time. I'm trying to find somewhere in the city that won't cost more than $20-25/person, but will provide us with a nice atmosphere (not too loud), and of course an enjoyable meal.

I usually use the North End for occasions like this, but want to try something different.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: rpbri2886
I'm being set up on a blind date. I know the girl somewhat well, as we've been chatting online for 5-6 weeks.

Does not compute.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005

Anyways, this Thursday night we're going out for the first time. I'm trying to find somewhere in the city that won't cost more than $20-25/person, but will provide us with a nice atmosphere (not too loud), and of course an enjoyable meal.

I usually use the North End for occasions like this, but want to try something different.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Sunset bar and grille in Allston (or the cantina)
Green Street in Central Square
Fire & Ice is KILLER and within your price range - downtown Boston and Cambridge
PF Chengs, though a bit expensive, depending on what you get.

Honestly? I'd go fire and ice. I've got more ideas if you need them.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
How is it a blind date if you know the girl?

I'm sorry I can't specifically help you. Do you intend on spending $20-$25 per person including drink, tip, appetizer, entree etc?

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Wow, mjuszczak basically wrote everything that I was going to suggest. Even though I'm not a big fan of the food at fire and ice, I'd be tempted to agree as the atmosphere will provide plenty of conversation starters. Otherwise, PF Changs is a would be a nice place to go (but make sure you make a reservation).

Or if you want something a bit more casual, how about a Bar+Grill such as the Pour House?

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: mjuszczak

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Fire & Ice is KILLER and within your price range - downtown Boston and Cambridge

I had considered Sunset, but we've both been there a few times.

Isn't Fire & Ice a buffet? I've always wanted to go there, but not for a first date.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: SampSon
How is it a blind date if you know the girl?

I'm sorry I can't specifically help you. Do you intend on spending $20-$25 per person including drink, tip, appetizer, entree etc?

Yes, I'm looking to keep the total bill + tips under $50.

I suppose it isn't a true blind date, but it will be the first time we actually meet in person, and I'd like to make a good impression.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003

I had considered Sunset, but we've both been there a few times.

Isn't Fire & Ice a buffet? I've always wanted to go there, but not for a first date.

If you've been to Sunset, try the Publick House & the Monk's Cell. Specifically the Monk's Cell on the left. The food is very above average for a bar, plus they serve every one of their beers in the official glass.

The Monk's Cell, the bar-within-a-bar at Brookline's The Publick House, is distilled from its forebear into an even more potent variation on the Belgian Beer Bar theme. Dark and moody with stained glass, candles and paintings of monks on the walls, The Monk's Cell takes its theme almost as seriously as its beer. In addition to sharing Publick House's already staggering beer selection and menu, the Cell adds more specialized bottles and draft lines.

Dark decor
I don't have a picture, but the booth all the way at the back is very cozy.

BA Reviews

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

By the way, what else did you have in mind?

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
What type of food are you looking for? That would help to narrow down the choices.

For Thai food.. Brown Sugar is a nice thai place in the BU area, Comm Ave, usually packed and not too noisy. Bangkok City (I think) another nice thai place on Mass Ave across street from Christian Science Monitor, usually nice and quiet.

For Japanese food.. Blue Fin in Porter Square is the best for its price, expect a line and semi not noisy. I think places like Fugaku are overrated.

I can't think of any American restaurants. Though, I'm not a fan of Fire&Ice. I think it's just them mixing your selected meats/veggies/sauces on a common hot plate in front of you while you wait in line and giving it to you. Perhaps I picked bad combinations, but if I had to pick combinations of food and mix it in hot plate, I'd just cook at home. That's just my opinion.

hmm. I guess you can also try John Havards in Harvard Square. The atmosphere is nice and the general area will give you a lot of places to explore.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

The tavern in Central is nice... and might be what you're looking for. I'd stay away from the Pour House... the food is crap, in my opinion, and the atmosphere is NOT good for a first date. Plus, the way the restaurant is setup, if you don't get a seat in the back, you'll be FREEZING everytime someone opens the door - not a good environment either for a first date.

Honestly, I would really try Fire & Ice. Its a buffet, but not really - they cook the food in front of you, they still bring you other things at your table (rice, etc.) - it's neat.

Some restaurants in China town are good if you're into that sort of thing. I can name a few. The north end is nice, as you know, but I'd go off of Hanover street - those tend to be the best (the one's off the main drag).

Top of the hub is nice if you want to be quick. $24/person though, which would be about $48... minimum - but that would cover one drink a piece and an entree, or you could get a few of their appetizers... good view of course... hmm, may be out of the price range though.

Meat eater? South end is nice, but pricey, so ignore that. The butcher shop is great though.

I'll think of more tonight and respond more tomorrow.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

The tavern in Central is nice... and might be what you're looking for. I'd stay away from the Pour House... the food is crap, in my opinion, and the atmosphere is NOT good for a first date. Plus, the way the restaurant is setup, if you don't get a seat in the back, you'll be FREEZING everytime someone opens the door - not a good environment either for a first date.

Honestly, I would really try Fire & Ice. Its a buffet, but not really - they cook the food in front of you, they still bring you other things at your table (rice, etc.) - it's neat.

Some restaurants in China town are good if you're into that sort of thing. I can name a few. The north end is nice, as you know, but I'd go off of Hanover street - those tend to be the best (the one's off the main drag).

Top of the hub is nice if you want to be quick. $24/person though, which would be about $48... minimum - but that would cover one drink a piece and an entree, or you could get a few of their appetizers... good view of course... hmm, may be out of the price range though.

Meat eater? South end is nice, but pricey, so ignore that. The butcher shop is great though.

I'll think of more tonight and respond more tomorrow.

In Atlanta my favorite restauraunt is just like Fire & Ice, its called the Real Chow Baby. I've taken lots of dates there (had a large group there once also) and they've liked it, customizing stuff is cool :p

JC86

Jan 18, 2007
another vote for fire and ice in Harvard Square, iirc. Good food, great atmosphere and not your typical dining experience.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Brown Sugar on Commonwealth is nice if you both are into Thai cuisine. (Medium-quiet)
Aneka Rasa on Harvard Ave is nice if you both are into Canto-Malaysian. (Not too noisy)
Piccola Venezia in North End if you like Italian. (Medium loudness, nice ambiance though)
Sunset Grill on Harvard Ave/Brighton Ave for younger crowd, 200 beers on tap, decent Cajun American/Mexican. (Very noisy)
Stephanie's on Newbury St if you like standard American food. (standard noise level)
John Harvard's in Harvard Square/Garage mall for American food + bar, they make their own beers. (standard noise level)

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004
top of the hub - make reservations
azure - pricey but worth it
legal seafood test kitchen - seaport, $18 entree
charterhouse - pricey but my personal favorite in boston

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Originally posted by: RossMAN
:camera:

Not happening.

I'm surprised it took that many replys.

Dude...that's....weak.
He's afraid the girl will look totally different from the super hot pics she sent him on the internet. There is also a good chance the photos are just stock photos used to lure internet dates in and someone here will reconize the collection! hehe