Boston Marathon Bomber guilty

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Actually, latest poll done in Boston is 70% wanting the death penalty. As someone who was there and witnessed what they did, nothing less than death would be good enough for him.

Can you link to the poll?

Personally, I don't believe immediate victims are able to evaluate the pros and cons of the death penalty objectively due to the obvious trauma they endured. That's not intended to trivialize your experience, but it's important to keep in mind.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Personally, I don't believe immediate victims are able to evaluate the pros and cons of the death penalty objectively due to the obvious trauma they endured. That's not intended to trivialize your experience, but it's important to keep in mind.

Evaluating pros and cons? If there was a poster child for the death penalty this scumbag would be it.

Polls after the verdict lean to the death penalty - locally and nationally.

http://www.masslive.com/boston_marathon_bombing_trial/2015/04/poll_should_boston_marathon_bo.html

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/04/09/keller-large-hoping-for-tsarnaevs-execution/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...naev-deserves-death-penalty-article-1.2179099

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bo...n-bomber-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-poll-finds-n338076

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000

http://www.masslive.com/boston_marathon_bombing_trial/2015/04/poll_should_boston_marathon_bo.html

I was not called for this jury as I live in a neighboring county in MA. Nor am I an immediate victim, I can clearly evaluate the supposed cons, no one is more deserving of being fried than Tsarnaev.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Online polls don't mean anything as they aren't scientific. If they did mean something, Ron Paul would be president.

Scientific polling of the Boston area shows the city itself to be pretty strongly against him getting the death penalty, while if you add in the suburbs it is more supportive of death but still has a plurality against:

0323_general-results-620x328.jpg

http://www.wbur.org/2015/03/23/wbur-poll-tsarnaev-death-penalty-life-in-prison

As for national level polling, that's not terribly surprising to me. In the city he attacked itself though, they are against it.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
The Boston poll is biased based on religion as there are more religious Catholics within city limits than the suburbs.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The Boston poll is biased based on religion as there are more religious Catholics within city limits than the suburbs.

That doesn't mean it's biased, it just means that's what Boston is.

By definition a poll of a population can't be biased by the characteristics of that population.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Online polls don't mean anything as they aren't scientific. If they did mean something, Ron Paul would be president.

Scientific polling of the Boston area shows the city itself to be pretty strongly against him getting the death penalty, while if you add in the suburbs it is more supportive of death but still has a plurality against:

0323_general-results-620x328.jpg

http://www.wbur.org/2015/03/23/wbur-poll-tsarnaev-death-penalty-life-in-prison

As for national level polling, that's not terribly surprising to me. In the city he attacked itself though, they are against it.

Post something post verdict. Thanks

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Post something post verdict. Thanks

This is the most recent scientific poll of Boston residents that I'm aware of. If there's a newer one I'd be interested to see it.

Surely you know that online polls aren't trustworthy because they aren't scientific? (not to mention anyone can vote in those polls, not just Boston residents) If we want to know what people in Boston think this appears to be our best resource at the moment. It seems unlikely to me that the verdict would cause a dramatic enough swing to change the overall result.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
This is the most recent scientific poll of Boston residents that I'm aware of. If there's a newer one I'd be interested to see it.

Surely you know that online polls aren't trustworthy because they aren't scientific? (not to mention anyone can vote in those polls, not just Boston residents) If we want to know what people in Boston think this appears to be our best resource at the moment. It seems unlikely to me that the verdict would cause a dramatic enough swing to change the overall result.

OK great.

Why don't you go and do a "scientific" poll then and stop shitting on the only poll that's available?

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
There are several Mass residents posting here, didn't notice any supporting life in prison.

Dec 10, 2005
OK great.

Why don't you go and do a "scientific" poll then and stop shitting on the only poll that's available?

Online polls are meaningless. You might as well just make up numbers to support your position if you're going to use an online poll as supporting evidence. But with 75% of people already doing it, you have nothing to lose. You may as well go with the flow and just make up some numbers.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There are several Mass residents posting here, didn't notice any supporting life in prison.

Why would that matter? That's the same thing as an online poll.

As to rudeguy: I did provide a scientific poll. It said nearly 2/3rds of city residents were against the death penalty for the guy.

Online polls are in many ways worse than nothing at all, as they give the false perception of knowledge when they're complete bullshit. Think back to how many online polls Ron Paul won.

Nov 8, 2012
Any discussion yet on the boy's mother coming out and try to defend him? Apparently he is a "great kid" that is ideal and we should look up to as a great role model :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/tsarnaev-moth...-boston-marathon-bombing-trial-172613856.html

,.. and yet, she doesn't seem to have any problems with Muslims killing Muslims. Oh, but I am sure that was all orchestrated by the US as well,... of course. Much like the framing of her sons;

She has gone full raging moron.

Yup. Raging bitch mode. In addition to.

It's things like this that tell me if you are defending a terrorist action, that you are with them. Throw the book at her and put her right beside him if she is going to defend his actions in any way shape or form. It's sickening.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

Boston resident here; I'd rather see him go to the supermax.. more fitting to the crime and he can fade into obscurity rather than be plastered all over the news when he gets the sentence and again when he is executed. Fascinating newyorker article linked earlier in the thread.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Federal appeals court just vacated Dkhokhar Tsarnaev's death sentence.

He'll get a new penalty phase. But he was also sentenced to life imprisonment on other counts so he'll never get out even if the new jury refuses to apply the death penalty.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Federal appeals court just vacated Dkhokhar Tsarnaev's death sentence.
Good.

The death penalty is not a penalty. It is a release. Once you're dead you're no longer being punished.

Being jailed for life, that is a penalty. It's also roughly infinitely less irrevocable, in case someone was innocently convicted. Being dead prevents exhoneration pretty effectively... Not that that's applicable in this particular case, but it has been in many others.

Reactions: feralkid

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I favor the death penalty for his crimes. For the absolute certainty that he was responsible for the premeditated slaughter his bomb caused.

However, if we are so incompetent as to be arguing over it to such a degree, life in prison would suffice. The continued tragedy is to have his name in the news. Throw away the key.