Boston Globe: Cheney's unprecedented power

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I thought this was an interesting look at Cheney's influence in the Bush administration. It's an Op-Ed piece from the Boston Globe.
Cheney's unprecedented power
By Robert Kuttner, 2/25/2004

DICK CHENEY is the most powerful vice president in US history. Indeed, there is a fair amount of circumstantial evidence that Cheney, not Bush, is the real power at the White House and Bush the figurehead.

The true role of the shadowy Cheney is finally becoming an issue in the election, and it deserves to be. A recent piece in The New Yorker by Jane Mayer lays out in devastating detail how Cheney, while CEO of Halliburton, created the blueprint for shifting much of the military's support role from the armed services to private contractors. The leading contractor, of course, is Halliburton. When Cheney became vice president, Halliburton was perfectly positioned to make out like a bandit.

Cheney, whose prior career was in politics, became a very rich man as Halliburton's chief executive, earning $45 million in just five years, with $18 million still available in stock options. Cheney also went to extraordinary lengths to keep secret the meetings of the Bush energy task force, which included primarily private companies positioned to profit from public decisions. The press treated all this as newsworthy for a time but then backed off.

What is significant about Mayer's New Yorker piece is that it was pieced together mainly from the public record. Cheney's unprecedented role and dubious history are mostly hidden in plain view, just like Bush's. The press needs only to decide that it's a story.

Yesterday the Financial Times reported that the Pentagon has belatedly opened a formal criminal investigation into Halliburton's grotesque overcharging of the Pentagon for oil delivered to Iraq. The oil was deliberately routed through a previously unknown intermediary in Kuwait, which charged Halliburton's subsidiary far above the going rate. The whole deal is fishy because the oil business in Kuwait is closely controlled by the Kuwaiti government, which works closely with the Bush administration.

In December, Pentagon auditors concluded that Halliburton had overcharged the US government for the oil by $61 million. Nonetheless, the same US government has just awarded Halliburton another contract, worth $1.2 billion, to repair oil fields in southern Iraq. If the Pentagon's Defense Criminal Investigative Service does its job, it will be hard to avoid a close examination of the role of Cheney. Though Bush is already on record that he wants to keep Cheney as his running mate this November, I would not be at all surprised if Cheney were dropped from the Republican ticket. For one thing, Cheney could become a real liability.

Second, there are more attractive alternatives. There is already talk among Republican strategists of replacing Cheney with a tactical choice such as homeland security secretary and former Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge or former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani. Why Ridge or Giuliani? Both are Northeastern and Catholic, and Ridge's Pennsylvania will be a crucial swing state this year. Even more important, both are intimately associated with Sept. 11, 2001. As Bush declines in the polls, he will wrap himself ever more tightly in that legacy. The Republican National Convention will be in New York City, almost on the eve of the third anniversary of 9/11, and that event will be invoked ad nauseam.

Cheney, by contrast, is associated with shadowy oil deals and an increasingly suspect Iraq war. Bush could come out of the convention arm in arm with Ridge, born yet again as the antiterrorism president.

But what of Cheney? Would the most powerful vice president in American history go quietly? Perhaps he would, especially if he were persuaded that a stronger running mate would help the Bush regime win reelection.

After all, Cheney enjoys his immense power not by dint of his office (which a prior vice president, John Nance Garner, unkindly compared to a bucket of warm spit) but because Bush depends on him and allows him unprecedented power. The immensely powerful Karl Rove, for that matter, has no constitutional authority either. The former vice president could simply move his office to other quarters and continue to be the de facto president, joining earlier powers-behind-the-throne such as Colonel Edward House in the Wilson administration, who held no formal office.

Cheney is 63, with a history of cardiac problems. He could say he is stepping aside for health reasons for the good of the country. They could announce it during or just after the Democratic National Convention, in July, to steal a little thunder. Master White House ghostwriter Michael Gerson could write the speech in his sleep (and may already have). You heard it here.
A couple of particularly interesting points. This is the first I've heard about Cheney's $18 million in Halliburton stock options. If accurate, it pretty well sinks any claims Cheney has no remaining financial interest in Halliburton.

The secrecy around the energy task force is old news, of course, but it remains a perfect example of the Bush administration's unapologetic contempt for its responsibilities to the public.

The thought that Cheney could publicly "step aside" while continuing to run things behind the scenes is chilling. In a White House full of budding fascists, Cheney is to me the most worrisome. His actions are already too well concealed. Imagine how little we'd know about them if he had no official position in the White House.

Finally, what do you think? Will Bush keep Cheney on his ticket, or will he pick someone who is less of a potential liability? If Bush picks someone else, how much will this affect Cheney's influence?

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
We who are voting to remove Bush this election have the likes of Karl Rove , Dick Cheney, Condi Rice and the rest of the admin in sight as well. Getting rid of Bush seals their fate as well, and is that much more reason to have them removed. There is no doubt in our minds that this administration has been run by a commitee of wolves. Let the democrat mule kick the crap out of them.;)

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Another good article here:
http://www.economist.com/world/na/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2447095

The idea that Mr Cheney might also be a ?drag on the ticket? was unthinkable a year ago. Now it has begun to seep into the more hard-headed, vote-scrounging parts of the Republican Party, and become common chatter among political operatives from both parties. It is, indeed, the current cover story of the National Journal, the inside-the-Beltway bible.
This is partly Mr Cheney's own doing. Four years ago, he looked the perfect complement to young George, possessing everything the callow Texan lacked?gravitas, eloquence and experience. Nowadays, he is seen less as the sober pragmatist and more as the dangerously revolutionary zealot. Look at economic management, where he supposedly told Paul O'Neill, his former friend and the former treasury secretary, that ?Reagan proved deficits don't matter.? Or look at Iraq, where the vice-president went further than anybody else in exaggerating Saddam's ?reconstituted? nuclear-weapons programme and the idea that he provided a ?geographic base? for terrorism against America.
Another reason to ditch Mr Cheney is that he has come to epitomise the administration's darker side. Take corporate cronyism. The vice-president made $44m during his time as head of Halliburton, a company that has snaffled up a large number of lucrative contracts in Iraq and has been accused of overcharging the Pentagon into the bargain (see article). He also stuffed his energy task-force with friends from the energy industry. Or take bureaucratic secrecy: he has created a semi-official parallel administration within the White House and has fought like a tiger to keep his doings private. His recent decision (just after the Supreme Court had said it would review whether he could continue to keep secret the deliberations of his energy task-force) to use a government jet to take Justice Antonin Scalia and a bunch of Mr Cheney's oil-business buddies duck-shooting only reinforces the impression that he has a tin ear for politics.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
the globe is one of the most liberal rags in the country, only thing worth a dime in there are the sunday coupons.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: bozack
the globe is one of the most liberal rags in the country, only thing worth a dime in there are the sunday coupons.

rolleye.gif

I don't see you disputing any of their facts, but changing the subject like all the other dittoheads who cry "LIBERAL MEDIA!".

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: bozack

Interesting that the economist says pretty much the same thing. Must be a liberal rag too.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
We who are voting to remove Bush this election have the likes of Karl Rove , Dick Cheney, Condi Rice and the rest of the admin in sight as well. Getting rid of Bush seals their fate as well, and is that much more reason to have them removed. There is no doubt in our minds that this administration has been run by a commitee of wolves. Let the democrat mule kick the crap out of them.;)
:beer::beer::beer:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

All I can say is, whoever wins in November, his supporters on here are going to be insufferable :)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize
All I can say is, whoever wins in November, his supporters on here are going to be insufferable :)
I promise I'll try not to be too smug.

;)

slyedog

Jan 12, 2001
in the next nine months people will tire so much of Kerry that they will vote for Bush
even though they hate him.how much longer can Kerry stand on his one liners abt Bush.
and his flip flopping. and all his liberal votes. and his hanging on to ole teddy kennedy. he sounds like he is in the bottle again....GOOOOOOOO Nader

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
the spirit of andrew jackson has returned! Spoils System 2.0

cheney just wants to line his pockets with golden $20's!!!

it's only a matter of time before he rents out the Lincoln Bedroom!

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

;)

Want to put a little wager on it? I know you live somewhat close to me(but your profile is turned off) so why not wager a meal at the Iowa Steak house(it's in DesMoines) or somewhere similar? Somewhere you can either grill it yourself or have them do it. I'm sure I could use a nice big steak, a potato(e):D, and a drink in November. You up for paying for it in November?

CkG

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

;)

Want to put a little wager on it? I know you live somewhat close to me(but your profile is turned off) so why not wager a meal at the Iowa Steak house(it's in DesMoines) or somewhere similar? Somewhere you can either grill it yourself or have them do it. I'm sure I could use a nice big steak, a potato(e):D, and a drink in November. You up for paying for it in November?

CkG

An additional requirement for the losers should be: no :wine:ing posts about how unfair the election was for the whole month.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

;)

CkG

An additional requirement for the losers should be: no :wine:ing posts about how unfair the election was for the whole month.

What say you Bow?

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

;)

CkG
Is that the one on Euclid? Haven't been there in a couple of years, usually eat west. I'm surprised you didn't go for 801 Steak and Chop, but you probably couldn't afford it. It's a shame we don't have a Morton's or Ruth's Chris. I could really empty your wallet (not to mention have some fabulous beef).

;)

Frankly, I think the odds are in your favor. Kerry is one of the weaker choices the Dems could put against Bush, and he is an easy target for mud slinging. I also don't trust Bush/Rove; sorry for the tinfoil hat, but I sincerely would not put it past them to benefit from some conveniently-timed events (Surprise, we just found OBL, for example).

Nonetheless, given all the sparring we do, it seems like an appropriate deal. My main reservation is anonymity. My political beliefs are a bit unconventional, a liability in my position in a conservative industry. While I stand by those beliefs, I am pragmatic enough to recognize they might limit my career and affect family. I don't publicize them outside a narrow circle of close friends and family. That's also one of the reasons I rarely read and never post from the office. Big brother is watching.

Plus there's the whole matter-antimatter, total annihilation thing. It was in an original Star Trek episode. If we met in person, it might rip the very fabric of the universe. That'd be a bitch if they docked my check for damages.

Let me think about it.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

;)

CkG
Is that the one on Euclid? Haven't been there in a couple of years, usually eat west. I'm surprised you didn't go for 801 Steak and Chop, but you probably couldn't afford it. It's a shame we don't have a Morton's or Ruth's Chris. I could really empty your wallet (not to mention have some fabulous beef).

;)

Frankly, I think the odds are in your favor. Kerry is one of the weaker choices the Dems could put against Bush, and he is an easy target for mud slinging. I also don't trust Bush/Rove; sorry for the tinfoil hat, but I sincerely would not put it past them to benefit from some conveniently-timed events (Surprise, we just found OBL, for example).

Nonetheless, given all the sparring we do, it seems like an appropriate deal. My main reservation is anonymity. My political beliefs are a bit unconventional, a liability in my position in a conservative industry. While I stand by those beliefs, I am pragmatic enough to recognize they might limit my career and affect family. I don't publicize them outside a narrow circle of close friends and family. That's also one of the reasons I rarely read and never post from the office. Big brother is watching.

Plus there's the whole matter-antimatter, total annihilation thing. It was in an original Star Trek episode. If we met in person, it might rip the very fabric of the universe. That'd be a bitch if they docked my check for damages.

Let me think about it.

Try to decide prior to Monday nightbefore the election.

You can always go in disguise.

:evil:

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
A couple of particularly interesting points. This is the first I've heard about Cheney's $18 million in Halliburton stock options. If accurate, it pretty well sinks any claims Cheney has no remaining financial interest in Halliburton.
I'm surprised you hadn't heard about this before. The GAO declared that Cheney's deferred payment is a financial tie to Halliburton some time ago. Despite Cheney's arguments to the contrary. Of course many of the apologists around here also argued the same line. "But, but, but ... he gets the money EITHER WAY!" Problem is, a financial tie is a financial tie. He gets money from Halliburton. Therefore it's a financial tie. Such hypocrites too - practically debating the definition of "is." ;)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I'm surprised you hadn't heard about this before. The GAO declared that Cheney's deferred payment is a financial tie to Halliburton some time ago. Despite Cheney's arguments to the contrary. Of course many of the apologists around here also argued the same line. "But, but, but ... he gets the money EITHER WAY!" Problem is, a financial tie is a financial tie. He gets money from Halliburton. Therefore it's a financial tie. Such hypocrites too - practically debating the definition of "is." ;)
I knew Cheney had deferred comp from Halliburton. I am assuming the stock options are something different. If not, oops, nevermind.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I've got $100 in Monopoly money that says Bush wins. :)

I don't think anyone should start up a real pool here for fear of the Mean Mod. :)

Cheney couldn't be directing anything. He died in office over 3 years ago. :)

-Robert

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

;)

CkG

;)

Let me think about it.

I had thought about 801 Grand but yes, I'm not wealth as you know by my posting info in tax threads. Yes, the Iowa Beef Steakhouse is on Euclid - great place to chow down some Iowa Beef and suck a few beers. I too wish there was a Ruth's Chris or other such place but I prefer to keep eat Iowa Beef when I have a choice(that's why I only buy beef for home use from places that use Iowa beef and Pork;))

Let me know when you decide:D (oh and I said a steak, potato(e), and a beer - not an all you can eat;))

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Dammit, that's not fair! I wanna bet a steak/pork/potato/deep-fried critter dinner. Or whatever you mid-western types eat. ;) Ah well, no way I'm drivin' from SoCal just for the occasion. I love you guys, but christ that's long haul . . .

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Yeah, the whole setup with this admin is upside down. The House Majority Whip (Delay) runs congress, rather than the House Speaker (Hastert). NPR was just talking about this yesterday. Cheney runs this admin, for the most part. Very shadowy guy these days. In fact, the entire term? Well, I guess we should consider ourselves lucky, since Bush is too stupid to actually be in charge. ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Dammit, that's not fair! I wanna bet a steak/pork/potato/deep-fried critter dinner. Or whatever you mid-western types eat. ;) Ah well, no way I'm drivin' from SoCal just for the occasion. I love you guys, but christ that's long haul . . .

Tell you what - if you drive(or fly) your sorry @ss out here - I'll buy you a nice big Iowa Chop (that's a nice big Pork Chop for all you non-Iowans;)) and hell, I might even toss in a potato(e) and a beer.

Not Bowfinger though - he's going to have to bet me to get a freebie meal(and not to mention actually win the bet:D)

CkG