Boss wants to publish personal information

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky
It's not very effective to complain about being underpaid, and not having to provide 24/7 support outlined in your contract, when you have no evidence that you will ever be called.

Give up the phone number, and if you start getting calls, then talk to your boss about it. At least at that point you have something to discuss.

I guess the problem stems more from the fact that our VP did this crap with the sys admins, all the time saying that he wasn't ever going to call them and ask them to come in after hours. They gave up their phone numbers and get called, on average, 3 times a week to come in and fix a problem.

So there's precedence.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Hoober
It's not very effective to complain about being underpaid, and not having to provide 24/7 support outlined in your contract, when you have no evidence that you will ever be called.

Give up the phone number, and if you start getting calls, then talk to your boss about it. At least at that point you have something to discuss.

I guess the problem stems more from the fact that our VP did this crap with the sys admins, all the time saying that he wasn't ever going to call them and ask them to come in after hours. They gave up their phone numbers and get called, on average, 3 times a week to come in and fix a problem.

So there's precedence.

guess what, you are now oncall.

Sorry, that's how they "ween" you into it. Unfortunately the ones who complain and resist are labeled 'problem employees'

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
If they pay for your cell phone plan, wouldn't they know your number???

If they don't pay for your cell phone then it's your personal phone and they should have to pay if they make calls on it during peak hours. I gave my cell phone to 3 co-workers and my boss for emergency only. I've gotten maybe 4 calls in 2 years, no big deal. If I got a lot of calls, I'd ask the company to pay for the phone.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

So there's precedence.

guess what, you are now oncall.

Sorry, that's how they "ween" you into it. Unfortunately the ones who complain and resist are labeled 'problem employees'

Yeah, unfortunately I seem to be the only one that thinks this is a problem. And really, I wouldn't complain if they'd pay a market rate for this job. Luckily, I'm in the position where I don't need to stay. I was just hoping to have another 6 months or so.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: TheNinja

If they don't pay for your cell phone then it's your personal phone and they should have to pay if they make calls on it during peak hours. I gave my cell phone to 3 co-workers and my boss for emergency only. I've gotten maybe 4 calls in 2 years, no big deal. If I got a lot of calls, I'd ask the company to pay for the phone.

He's asking for personal home number and personal cell phone. Of course they know my work cell phone number. I just turn it off at 5:00pm. :evil:

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Interestingly, I just spoke with my wife, who is a manager at another company, and she said 'Just shutup and give them your phone number. Stop being a baby.'

I love it when she talks dirty.

Maybe I'll take a look at the HR laws in Colorado and see if I can dig something up.

Kinky.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
WOuld make much more sense to just tell everyone to NOT turn their work phones off at 5:00PM in case there's an after hours emergency. If nothing else, tell them you don't have (or at least don't answer) your personal cell phone so at least you're being up front. THen if you ever get a cal from work, let it go to voice mail, check it later by calling into voice mail using your work phone (no sense wasting your personal minutes) and then call back from the work phone if it's important.

At work by us, we all used to ahve cell phones but tons of people used them as their personal phones and used hundreds of minutes every month so they all got taken away and we all got pagers. But of course since I don't have a work cell phone, I can return the pager calls until I get to the office the next day anyway. There's probably a legal issue if you start using your home equipment for work purposes because they make you... Might be able to write it off or something as a business expense or at least submit for reimbursement.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Interestingly, I just spoke with my wife, who is a manager at another company, and she said 'Just shutup and give them your phone number. Stop being a baby.'

Maybe I'll take a look at the HR laws in Colorado and see if I can dig something up.

Kinky.
I don't think he meant dirty in the literal sense, sicko.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Ok ok - I'm the master of the obvious here - CALLER ID! LET EM CALL - just don't answer.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: episodic
Ok ok - I'm the master of the obvious here - CALLER ID! LET EM CALL - just don't answer.

Meh, it's the principle of the matter.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I have done it, and would again. The nature of some jobs is that certain things hinge upon being able to contact a person, and 9-5 doesn't always cut it.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

I think that publishing personal contact info in outlook borders on violating privacy rights. HR and your boss should have your contact info not joe schmo in accounting. The only info we have posted in outlook is the extenstion of the person and what the address of where they are working (we have offices in all 50 states). absoutly no personal info at all.

I am very good friends with the VP of HR for my company. Ill shoot her an email tomorrow asking her if there are any colorado privacy issues with doing what your boss wants.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix

I think that publishing personal contact info in outlook borders on violating privacy rights. HR and your boss should have your contact info not joe schmo in accounting.

I am very good friends with the VP of HR for my company. Ill shoot her an email tomorrow asking her if there are any colorado privacy issues with doing what your boss wants.

Thanks, Citrix. I appreciate it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
I don't know if you can get away with not providing your home phone number but act like you don't have a cell number to give. Your personal cell phone number is not their business unless they plan on paying for the calls which of course we know is not the case.

I rarely give people like that my cell number - my cell is for MY convenience, not theirs.

ConwayJim

Dec 16, 2004
Man I hate that stuff. I hate giving out my contact info in a public display like that. I would just give my 3rd priority email address; i would still be hesitant giving out my number...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Hardcore
We have the same system at my place of work... i can look up anybody's phone number, and they can look up mine. Doesn't bother me, and when they called me up, which has happened a couple of times... if i'm available, i'll help... if not, i'll tell them i'm unavailable. I really don't see the big deal in this.
I would be the same way - I go out of my way to help people while "at work"... but our problems are never quick fixes... are yours ? I don't want to be called at noon on a Saturday when I'm supposed to enjoy my day with the wife and kid (if I had one).

Typically not a "smart" thing to do... tie yourself down voluntarily.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
We have the same system at my place of work... i can look up anybody's phone number, and they can look up mine. Doesn't bother me, and when they called me up, which has happened a couple of times... if i'm available, i'll help... if not, i'll tell them i'm unavailable. I really don't see the big deal in this.
I would be the same way - I go out of my way to help people while "at work"... but our problems are never quick fixes... are yours ? I don't want to be called at noon on a Saturday when I'm supposed to enjoy my day with the wife and kid (if I had one).

Exactly. And it's just like Spidey said... this is the first step in getting quasi 24/7 support without having to pay for it. A lot of you guys have said that I shouldn't worry about it until the calls start coming in, but we all know that's just a matter of time. I'd rather see this taken care of at the outset.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I remember when i was on coop and i needed help and my boss said he would call this guy who called in sick ot help me over teh phone. I was so urpised and said WTF, don't do that!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71

Exactly. And it's just like Spidey said... this is the first step in getting quasi 24/7 support without having to pay for it. A lot of you guys have said that I shouldn't worry about it until the calls start coming in, but we all know that's just a matter of time. I'd rather see this taken care of at the outset.

well the thing is if they want you to provide support there isn't much you can do about it. Job roles and responsibilities change all the time. And in today's market there are plenty out there who would do it for less.

Sep 29, 2004
So my brand new boss wants everybody on the team to stick their home phone number, personal cell phone number in Outlook contacts so any member of the team can access it when they need to. I've got a problem with this as I'd really rather not receive calls at home when I'm not at work. I don't feel they pay me enough to be available then. Thoughts?

Wow, it's almost as though you have a job. Your acting like they want to post your resume and SSN

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
So my brand new boss wants everybody on the team to stick their home phone number, personal cell phone number in Outlook contacts so any member of the team can access it when they need to. I've got a problem with this as I'd really rather not receive calls at home when I'm not at work. I don't feel they pay me enough to be available then. Thoughts?

Wow, it's almost as though you have a job. Your acting like they want to post your resume and SSN

:roll:

jEnus

Jun 22, 2004
Is your position one that requires you to come in due to unforeseen circumstances? Such as a network admin.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: TheNinja

He's asking for personal home number and personal cell phone. Of course they know my work cell phone number. I just turn it off at 5:00pm. :evil:
Just keep the cell phone on after 5PM, problem solved. Your an admin level position, don't like working 24x7, guess what, it's part of the job.

Asking for more $$ is not rediculous. They are asking for more, so should you.