Bose home audio

Doom Machine

Oct 23, 2005
been lookn around considering new set of small home theater sets.
bose's home audio stuff like the accoustimass is quite pricey but there are a few things i cant figure out for that $1000 + price tag when so many others sound the same for a fraction

why arnt they thx certified, i know it doesnt mean much but at least it shows it passed something.
why are there so many accoustimass bass modules on ebay that have burnt out amps and dont work yet they want $600 or more.
why do the speakers use such cheap, thin low density fiberboard for thier enclosures when they should be useing thicker mdf
why are the exact same sattalite speakers they use sold on other sites for $10-30 without enclosures.
200 watts output for accoustimass with 3 5 1/4 in drivers....are they serious?
whats up with their clock radio, i mean $400 for a clock/cd player? how good can those 2 inch tweaters really sound when they cant move much air. for 400 bucks that thing better have cold beer storage.

ive listend to many models and the bass sounds boomy, but they do play loud for the size but listening to the cheap 5.1 sets that arnt no bigger sound pretty good to me, so i'm wondering if theres something i'm missing or am i right assuming they have great marketing and that buyers think it sounds good cuz they dont know how it should sound, i mean its still all about moving air right or was there some advanced audio science i missed out on?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Doom Machine
been lookn around considering new set of small home theater sets.
bose's home audio stuff like the accoustimass is quite pricey but there are a few things i cant figure out for that $1000 + price tag when so many others sound the same for a fraction

why arnt they thx certified, i know it doesnt mean much but at least it shows it passed something.
why are there so many accoustimass bass modules on ebay that have burnt out amps and dont work yet they want $600 or more.
why do the speakers use such cheap, thin low density fiberboard for thier enclosures when they should be useing thicker mdf
why are the exact same sattalite speakers they use sold on other sites for $10-30 without enclosures.
200 watts output for accoustimass with 3 5 1/4 in drivers....are they serious?
whats up with their clock radio, i mean $400 for a clock/cd player? how good can those 2 inch tweaters really sound when they cant move much air. for 400 bucks that thing better have cold beer storage.

ive listend to many models and the bass sounds boomy, but they do play loud for the size but listening to the cheap 5.1 sets that arnt no bigger sound pretty good to me, so i'm wondering if theres something i'm missing or am i right assuming they have great marketing and that buyers think it sounds good cuz they dont know how it should sound, i mean its still all about moving air right or was there some advanced audio science i missed out on?

<-- Patiently waits for YOyoYOhowsDAjello's biased opine! :evil:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Bose is expensive because they are the best sounding speakers in the world and they are also so tiny and cute looking. Plus that AcoustiMass module kicks out some serious bass; if I turn it up too loud, my neighbor across the street gets scared.

I would check out their 3.2.1 Home Theater System. That thing is so advanced, you actually have to pay more for less speakers. But it is so worth it.

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Pretty much only the enthusiasts know Bose products are average at best and priced WAY too high. Too bad the enthusiast only represent a very low percentage of the population. This is why Bose continues to thrive. The masses just don't know any better.

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Bose is expensive because they are the best sounding speakers in the world and they are also so tiny and cute looking. Plus that AcoustiMass module kicks out some serious bass; if I turn it up too loud, my neighbor across the street gets scared.

WTF? Hope you are kidding on the first line...

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: UlricT

:p

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004

Of course he's kidding. :p

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001

I owned bose ONE time and ONE time only. And I was soooooo pissed when I took my new speakers apart (have to Im a guy and need to see whats under the cover) to find I was basicly looking at a speker that was made in 1950's. All paper cone, presswood case, no frills wiring, low end tech, and was not impressed with the sound for what I paid and after seeing the speaker I vowed never to buy bose again. $2 speaker I paid $200 for.

Its just the name your buying and I can remeber correctly there was an artical I read where they dont get thx cert because they fail badly to reproduce the sound correctly.

Doom Machine

Oct 23, 2005
they are loud, but i guess anything is when you pass 100 to 200 watts into it, but dont you hear how muddy the bass is...its not accurate i mean it cant be, isnt it still all about moving air?
cant believe someone said "cute" thier freakn cubes, i've seen much nicer lookn ones in my opinion. i'd much rather sit and listen to a few different sets in my house.
but what kind of small home theater sets do you guys think is the best for the price?

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
I had lots of fun with a pair of 901's back in the 80's. We would plug them into the wall and they would hum really loud. I had a neighbor that was a lineman and he was always looking around because he thought the noise was a faulting line nearby.

Without the EQ they sound very nasty and with you better have 500 wpc at 8 OHMS available just to make them sing. Sing? Jessica Simpson "quality".

The (901) would make a damn good paging speaker for a mega car showroom. :D

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
yoyohowsthejello in 3...2....1......

unless he's sleeping, then he'll reply in the morning :p

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
people buy em, why not charge a bunch. i like my $200 logitech set as much than my family's $1000 bose set.

why does yoyo like them...does he get paid to troll about their stuff on forums or something?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
bose costs are nothing. crack open a stereo mag sometime and look at the insane prices for some of those speakers.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: iwantanewcomputer
why does yoyo like them...does he get paid to troll about their stuff on forums or something?

I'm pretty sure that Yoyo hates Bose...

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
people buy em, why not charge a bunch. i like my $200 logitech set as much than my family's $1000 bose set.

umm....

you're not around here much eh?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
they are loud, but i guess anything is when you pass 100 to 200 watts into it, but dont you hear how muddy the bass is...its not accurate i mean it cant be, isnt it still all about moving air?
cant believe someone said "cute" thier freakn cubes, i've seen much nicer lookn ones in my opinion. i'd much rather sit and listen to a few different sets in my house.
but what kind of small home theater sets do you guys think is the best for the price?

I personaly use a set of Logitch Z5500 for my hometheater. Small speakers can be placed anywhere and a 188 watt sub. Not to mention all of it is THX cert and all matching speakers.
For under $300 you can beat it in price or sound quality unless your talking $500 recievers and $1K speakers.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001

They pay me the big $$$ since I'm part of their reverse psychology marketing department. Reverse psychology marketing is yet another example of Bose scientific thinking bringing new technology to the marketplace and setting a new standard in excellence.

Bose, better sound through research ©

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: funboy42

I personaly use a set of Logitch Z5500 for my hometheater. Small speakers can be placed anywhere and a 188 watt sub. Not to mention all of it is THX cert and all matching speakers.
For under $300 you can beat it in price or sound quality unless your talking $500 recievers and $1K speakers.

i agree with you here, I have these speakers too and they kick a$$.. i'm curious to see what yoyoyohowsdajello has to say about that since hes the soundman and all.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004

You're joking right...?

::worried::

A 7.1 Onkyo HTiB is $500 or so and would blow that away

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001

There are a bunch of different suggestions here http://intellexual.net/speaker5.html

Some ones that are particularly small I'd look at in particular:
Klipsch Quintet
HSU Ventriloquist

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
bose costs are nothing. crack open a stereo mag sometime and look at the insane prices for some of those speakers.

Those speakers are worth what they cost though.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: PurdueRy

You're joking right...?

::worried::

not $1500 worth of speakers.. but i think they are pretty kick ass for a small room.